Bump in the night...where's your firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Where is your firearm?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Does she keep it in a lockbox on the same self as your testicles?

Well, since my brother in law was in the adjoining classroom during the well-known Hubbard Woods school shooting where several kids were killed, my wife's family isn't really favorable in their view of guns, and that's how she was raised. Growing up in Chicago, they had no exposure to guns aside from crooks and crazies using them.

You ever had a family member face death in a given circumstance and then, somewhat irrationally, have them blame the circumstance? Ever had someone die on a motorcycle and then have family or friends blame all motorcycles?

No? Count your blessings. If you're lucky, PTSD will never visit your home and you'll be able to continue to your childish remarks from inside a protected little bubble of ignorance-- purple or not.

And I will choose my wife and her needs anytime over trying to impress an internet cowboy with my manliness.

:ingo:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    and you'll be able to continue to your childish remarks from inside a protected little bubble of ignorance
    I wouldn't make light of anyone facing death, but Your wife is kinda in the protected little bubble of ignorance here, and you are enabling it!

Seriously, no disrespect, but If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well, since my brother in law was in the adjoining classroom during the well-known Hubbard Woods school shooting where several kids were killed, my wife's family isn't really favorable in their view of guns, and that's how she was raised. Growing up in Chicago, they had no exposure to guns aside from crooks and crazies using them.

Which type of gun would have been most useful in stopping a horrible event like this, one "ready to go" and easily accessible to someone with the knowledge and skill to use it, or one "unloaded and far enough away that you might as well not even own it"?

No? Count your blessings. If you're lucky, PTSD will never visit your home and you'll be able to continue to your childish remarks from inside a protected little bubble of ignorance-- purple or not.
    While my initial post was simply a joke and not meant to offend, it's clear I've struck a nerve. If you truly believe you are doing your wife a service by catering to irrational fear, than you are the one living in the bubble of ignorance.

And I will choose my wife and her needs anytime over trying to impress an internet cowboy with my manliness.

The words "needs" are "desires" are often mistaken for synonyms. While currently she may "desire" you to not fight the issue of how you store firearms, if someone kicks in your door at 3am she will "NEED" you to handle it. It is your responsibility to have tools and systems in place to do so.

Remember, for it to be effective, you must buckle your safety belt before the crash.

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    On my ghetto bedside table. The m&p has a tlr-1s and the ps90 with extra mag is incase the situation really goes south and I have to fight my way to the safe downstairs.
    20130602_063913_zps375f2f6e.jpg

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    If shtf I will have my handgun within reach and 6 in the shotty quickly after. I like to drill and often practice quickly emptying my G39 and looking to make my way to the shotgun in the closet

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You left off an option...on the night stand...less than a full arm's reach away!

Wife's is on her night stand...also less than a full arm's reach away!

870 is in the closet...just 2 steps away!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Which type of gun would have been most useful in stopping a horrible event like this, one "ready to go" and easily accessible to someone with the knowledge and skill to use it, or one "unloaded and far enough away that you might as well not even own it"?

While my initial post was simply a joke and not meant to offend, it's clear I've struck a nerve. If you truly believe you are doing your wife a service by catering to irrational fear, than you are the one living in the bubble of ignorance.

The words "needs" are "desires" are often mistaken for synonyms. While currently she may "desire" you to not fight the issue of how you store firearms, if someone kicks in your door at 3am she will "NEED" you to handle it. It is your responsibility to have tools and systems in place to do so.

Remember, for it to be effective, you must buckle your safety belt before the crash.

Ya, you did strike a nerve. I know the fear is irrational. She knows it too, and even admits it as such.

I supposed you've never had to deal with the kind of situation where someone who can't be reasoned with insists on having a say in something over which they admit they aren't being reasonable about? Lucky you, if so.

Believe me, I know how effective my G22 is unloaded and not readily accessible. But I *do* have it-- and that's a huge achievement in itself.

I figure if she's going to be pissed at me, better just do what I know is right and let her get over it.

H

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ya, you did strike a nerve. I know the fear is irrational. She knows it too, and even admits it as such.

I supposed you've never had to deal with the kind of situation where someone who can't be reasoned with insists on having a say in something over which they admit they aren't being reasonable about? Lucky you, if so.

Believe me, I know how effective my G22 is unloaded and not readily accessible. But I *do* have it-- and that's a huge achievement in itself.

I figure if she's going to be pissed at me, better just do what I know is right and let her get over it.

H
    That's a tough situation man. I'm lucky in that my wife grew up on a farm where guns were always around and used to protect livestock and sometimes to put meat on the table.

Have you considered trying to interest her in an Appleseed shoot? I can't think of a less threatening or more fun way to introduce someone to shooting. Not only do you learn great skills, but also a great history lesson on why it is important to have those skills.

Beware though, if you succeed you may have to double your ammo budget. :ar15:

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Beretta locked and loaded in Night Stand as it comes off my hip for the night, 870 with 4 slugs in tube under bed with trigger guard key under both Mine and Wife's Night Stand Lamps... Wife has her SR between mattress and box springs with mag loaded.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    1911 on the nightstand. Various others throughout the house. No children yet so I have the luxury of keeping them hidden but easily accessible.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That's a tough situation man. I'm lucky in that my wife grew up on a farm where guns were always around and used to protect livestock and sometimes to put meat on the table.

Have you considered trying to interest her in an Appleseed shoot? I can't think of a less threatening or more fun way to introduce someone to shooting. Not only do you learn great skills, but also a great history lesson on why it is important to have those skills.

Beware though, if you succeed you may have to double your ammo budget. :ar15:

I'm working on her. It just takes a lot of time. Just having a single G22 is a bigger deal than you could ever imagine.

I'm trying to be patient and walk a thin line between my responsibility to my wife and my responsibility to what I believe to be true.

I frankly don't like my choices, but I married this and it's a package deal. I'd prefer not to deal with it, just as I think my brother would prefer his wife didn't have MS, but we take our loved ones as they are.

Sorry for getting all pissy-- I think I took offense when perhaps none (or maybe just a tiny bit) was intended. This situation has sucked a huge amount of emotional capital from me and I'm almost illiquid in that regard as a result.

But I see enough progress to give me hope, and I think my patience will be rewarded in due course.

H

Bob Shoemaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Patience is the way to go. The appleseed ideabis great too, but it could turn south if she wants to shoot your stuff!

Top Bottom