• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure why I expected more from the regular 50 BMG... but I can't imagine what it would be like to be hit by one of those incindiary rounds.

Pretty sweet video, and funny intro.

[video=youtube;AtopxCjs518]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtopxCjs518[/video]

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not sure why I expected more from the regular 50 BMG... but I can't imagine what it would be like to be hit by one of those incindiary rounds.
    Most plate holds up to lower speed rounds regardless of energy much better than high-speed rounds. I've shot half inch AR 500 with the standard 50 BMG rounds and they just splashed like in the video. Some did bend the plate though. I've also shot a 50 BMG armor piercing incendiary through the same half inch plate at just a tick under 400 yards. The hole was kind of cool, not really symmetrical and there was actually what appeared to be metal flow on the back where it exited.

With a 1 inch plate he had, I'm skeptical that Mk 211 would actually go through it. I believe it uses a similar tungsten carbide penetrator to the black tip. Either way, I certainly wouldn't shoot steel with 50 BMG anywhere near as close as he was.

edit. Actually I don't know that black tip uses a tungsten carbide penetrator so actually the Mark 211 probably would go further. I seem to remember m2 being a hardened steel core.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Most plate holds up to lower speed rounds regardless of energy much better than high-speed rounds. I've shot half inch AR 500 with the standard 50 BMG rounds and they just splashed like in the video. Some did bend the plate though. I've also shot a 50 BMG armor piercing incendiary through the same half inch plate at just a tick under 400 yards. The hole was kind of cool, not really symmetrical and there was actually what appeared to be metal flow on the back where it exited.

With a 1 inch plate he had, I'm skeptical that Mk 211 would actually go through it. I believe it uses a similar tungsten carbide penetrator to the black tip. Either way, I certainly wouldn't shoot steel with 50 BMG anywhere near as close as he was.

Most likely the FMJ you were shooting had lead cores, steel core 50 bmg also will burn a hole through 1/2" 500 plate. Spotter tracer, incendiary, tracer also just leaves a mark. Add AP to any 50 round and you will burn a hole through AR 500 plate.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

edit. Actually I don't know that black tip uses a tungsten carbide penetrator so actually the Mark 211 probably would go further. I seem to remember m2 being a hardened steel core.

I agree with you on the distance, I'd have been a lot farther away than he was shooting the 50 (probably the 7.62 varieties as well).

I've seen the Mk211 pushed through manhole covers and while I understand they aren't AR500, they may as well have been newspaper. They're pretty impressive rounds when they contact a hard surface.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Most likely the FMJ you were shooting had lead cores, steel core 50 bmg also will burn a hole through 1/2" 500 plate. Spotter tracer, incendiary, tracer also just leaves a mark. Add AP to any 50 round and you will burn a hole through AR 500 plate.
    Do you know what kind of penetrator the M2 black tip uses? I can't find whether it is hardened steel or tungsten carbide or a molly alloy.

I wonder whether Mark 211 or slap is more effective at penetrating armor. I'm guessing slap.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I was shooting M1 Garands with a buddy a few years ago. We were getting ready for the National Match at Camp Perry and doing a little final dialing in of our zeros. After we were done, we shot a few 30-06 Black tip rounds at my AR500 plates. I called the first 1 as a "miss" low, as I saw the splash behind the target. Thinking he may have be holding to low, he moved up and held center mass on the target. 2nd shot I saw a splash farther behind the target, so called a "miss" high. 3rd shot he split the difference in point of aim and I saw another splash.

Since we had just put a lot of rounds on target earlier, there was no way he just missed 3 straight shots. We went down and found 3 perfect holes through my 3/8" AR500 plate! 30-06 AP is nothing to mess with!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Do you know what kind of penetrator the M2 black tip uses? I can't find whether it is hardened steel or tungsten carbide or a molly alloy.

I wonder whether Mark 211 or slap is more effective at penetrating armor. I'm guessing slap.

When you posted that I told myself to put one on the belt grinder tomorrow. I'll shoot you a pic or two of what I find.. I always thought it was tungston.. I'll find out..
    Non of what I have is newer than say 20 years.. It's all pulled that I bought from Talon Industrys. Loaded 50 I have is either GI or reloaded by Talon.the

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    this is steel core 50bmg and a AP round, The Ball round smashed when hit with a hammer and the AP produced punch marks in the Hammer face.
    I used a bandsaw to cut off the jackets and you can see that the mild steel core was cut by the saw blade. With what I read and with what I see the AP has a Tungsten Core.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom