• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    i'd love to get a few of those shipping containers. anyone know where i can buy them cheaper than new?

i'd think the steel would help protect against radiation too. i'd build a concrete and rebarb shell and encase that sucker in it. im no engineer by any means. when i eventualy build mine, i will have it professionaly designed.

Actually, I'm not certain steel is sufficient shelter from fallout. As I understand it from my reading, you need _distance_ from the radioactive particles. 24-48 inches of earth is supposed to work well against radioactive particles, but you must also filter the air you bring in from outside. And the filters must not only be accessible, but disposable a safe distance from your shelter. The biggest problems I see with using a conex as a fallout shelter are ventilation and entry/exit. Conexes have only one entry and can only be secured from the outside, so you'll have to weld some sort of modification there; then you will have to create a filtered ventilation system - and you're _still_ going to have to berm it most, if not all the way, to provide fallout protection and concealment.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    In my research, a key aspect of a fallout shelter is that it not be in the basement of the home. If your house burns above you the basement is not a good place to be. Our safe room is a shelter from home invaders and a decent place in the event of a tornado. Our fallout shelter is a better place to be in the event of a tornado, but it is a hard place to flee to quickly in an event like a home invasion.

I completely agree, but when your a college student that cant afford a shelter, a basement is better than a second story apartment.

Now that I think about it the basement is just about the same cause its wood flooring. Well if we ever get nuked I guess Ill just drink whiskey and procreate till i die

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Actually, I'm not certain steel is sufficient shelter from fallout. As I understand it from my reading, you need _distance_ from the radioactive particles. 24-48 inches of earth is supposed to work well against radioactive particles, but you must also filter the air you bring in from outside. And the filters must not only be accessible, but disposable a safe distance from your shelter. The biggest problems I see with using a conex as a fallout shelter are ventilation and entry/exit. Conexes have only one entry and can only be secured from the outside, so you'll have to weld some sort of modification there; then you will have to create a filtered ventilation system - and you're _still_ going to have to berm it most, if not all the way, to provide fallout protection and concealment.

well yeah, i wasnt talking about dropping it in a field and using it. of coarse modifications would be made. i would bury it and surround it by concrete and of coarse dirt. sorry I wasnt clearer. i would hook several together too. a mound would work, but then everyone would know where you are.

whitetrash

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    lebanon
    what about over seas containers buried? we thought bout buying a couple 40' one sand then reinforce them with concrete and rebar.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    what about over seas containers buried? we thought bout buying a couple 40' one sand then reinforce them with concrete and rebar.

see a page or so back in this thread. thats what i was referring too. never really thought of nuclear nor do i want to live thru that. im more worried about tornaders and such then anything. *maybe a private indoor shooting range*:dunno::rockwoot:

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    You are missing the point, that little space...there is no room for the wife!
    That will be so quiet!!!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The old Doomsday Theory was based on multiple hundreds of detonations of cobalt-encased H-bombs. The cobalt, when irradiated and vaporized creates fallout with a really long half-life. Tac Nukes or more modern strategic nuclear weapons aren't designed that way, as I understand it. With a "standard" nuclear weapon (or the wmd your friendly local jihadist manages to cobble together), if you survive the blast and thermal effects, the fallout half-life will be lethally effective for days rather than weeks.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Exterior walls are all 6" poured concrete. 22x26' saferoom in the basement with a concrete ceiling and a vault door. If there's nuclear fallout, I hope to be dead at the moment of the blast.
    25c0fc6e.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The block brand was freedom. They seemed to be decent to work with. I ran all the wring in it. I haven't handled the other brands so I don't know how they would compare.

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    I like that company's slogan: "THE FUTURE BELONGS TO THOSE WHO PLAN"

that would be a fun job, bunker salesman.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I finally got the lights put up in the man cave. I'm waiting on a guy to get back with me on the drywall finish bid.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

Top Bottom