• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchester1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Shipshewana
    which one of these will reproduce faster? will be in need of a source of protein for a fmily of 5. so trying to get an idea of how many i would need. also thinking of digging a pond for fish. but unsure of how i would get to them in winter. it's not a matter of if it hits the fan, now i am planning for when it hits the fan

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think rabbits actually reproduce faster. If you are looking for a high-volume protein source, eggs are the way to go.

Some general rabbit info:
    Breeding Rabbits

Looks like about 20 rabbits per year, per dame (maximum). Then another year until they can be eaten.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not trying to distract from your original post by asking this, but are there breads of rabbits or chickens that you can buy and release at or near a woods to supplement the wooded population?

I'm just wondering this because for no more than some of these animals cost it wouldn't be all bad to have your caged animals and then give a couple other ones a chance in the woods hoping to increase it's population.

I have to agree with your main point though. At this time it's no longer looking like "IF", but more likely "WHEN".

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    For meat production, chickens are still better than rabbits.

Cornish cross-breeds are very quick to mature, we are talking around 2 months time from hatching out of their eggs to being ready for the broiler.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm not trying to distract from your original post by asking this, but are there breads of rabbits or chickens that you can buy and release at or near a woods to supplement the wooded population?

I'm just wondering this because for no more than some of these animals cost it wouldn't be all bad to have your caged animals and then give a couple other ones a chance in the woods hoping to increase it's population.

I have to agree with your main point though. At this time it's no longer looking like "IF", but more likely "WHEN".

Quail would be good for that.

However releasing captive bred quail into the wild is regulated in most states, I am not exactly sure what Indiana's requirements are.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    both can live in the wild, but will be killed by predators very fast..

Both can be used as bait to shoot/eat the predators. I wouldn't eat a coyote unless I was getting really desperate, but I'd sure try to use my last chicken or rabbit as bait for a coyote before eating my last one. At best I could have one more meal before being completely out of chickens and rabbits.

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've read histories of life in the middle ages. The monks in monasteries always had fish ponds. This was usually just a damned up section of a small creek.The favored fish was some form of carp.At that time in Catholic europe and Britain, it was mandatory to eat fish on friday. I imagine that if you had property with a creek, it wouldn't be too hard to do. also, any fish you caught elsewhere and did'nt feel like cleaning could be added to the larder. Might also work for snappers.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Rabbits are very easy, provide very little meat, but give a pelt, small pen with a ton of compost. Chickens are by far more maintenance. The will leave your property, can re-claim a roost, loud, and tear up your land..... all of the previous are on a small and very manageable scale. If I had to choose one over the other... I would go with the chickens.... but in reality, do both, make a rabbit pen and then build a coop. Our 2 story rabbit pen.

247189_10150258689003523_548943522_8690434_4586145_n.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Been thinking about bunnies. They're certainly quieter, and I have a neighbor that would probably be all over chicken noises. Real d-bag.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    i will bring you $100 and a guinea pig if you kill it, clean it, cook it and eat it. cash money

Done deal, see you Saturday.

A: is this really gonna happen? If so, it NEEDS to be on youtube.

B: Winchester, did you really think the guy who's name is Redneck, wasn't gonna eat a guinea pig for a hundo? He was probly about to cook one right before you posted anyway. :rofl:

Top Bottom