• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That thing is loud, noisy and would probably throw enough sparks to catch my carpet on fire, the last time I checked a smart burglar doesnt want to draw attention to themselves, evem then it would still take a while to cut through. And who wants to steal something they already screwed up because the they cut in to far and damaged the contents

To say nothing of the fact that a man walking with one of those is more likely to catch the attention of neighbors. Possible is one thing. Probable is another. Most of us have limited resources and must manufacture our protection based on the highest threat probabilities since we don't have the :spend: to do so for any and all possibilities.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Back to the original question. Would everyone agree it's a bad idea to store ammo in a decoy "safe" (cabinet really).

If it was just one case, it would probably be alright. However having it half full of ammo cans is prob a bad idea.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I am in the process of getting a gun safe (RSC for the nit picky). It is going to be pretty well hidden. That being said, I do have an NRA sticker on my car, so its possible someone burglarizing me would be searching for guns.

I am considering getting a cheap metal gun cabinet and putting it in my bedroom (seems like a place they would look) and put a cheap $100 muzzleloader rifle, some pistol cases with metal airsoft guns in them, and some fake jewelry. Let them waste some time prying the thing open and thinking they hit the jackpot while completely missing the real safe.

It seems like if I bother spending money on such a cabinet, it could be a good place to store my ammo.

Sooooo... do you guys think burglars who just wasted 5 minutes prying open a big tin box would waste time hauling out very heavy 50cal ammo cans? Seems silly to put things of real value in there when the point is diversion, but I just didn't think smash-n-grabbers would bother with ammo cans when you can only carry 2 at a time and there are (what you think are) guns and TVs to carry out.

Thoughts?

Make it even tougher. Chain the ammo cans together...... ;)

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Make it even tougher. Chain the ammo cans together...... ;)

That is a great idea.

However I still think the amount of ammo will clue them in on the fact that they have NOT found the real gun safe. Maybe I am giving them too much credit. Even if they were smart enough to think of that they prob won't while under stress.

I'll prob hide the ammo behind the real safe. But I will use your chain idea.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Back to the original question. Would everyone agree it's a bad idea to store ammo in a decoy "safe" (cabinet really).

If it was just one case, it would probably be alright. However having it half full of ammo cans is prob a bad idea.

With the price of ammo like it is, along with not knowing when the availability might free up, I wouldn't leave any as a decoy.... According to CTD, you got close to $1000 worth of ammo in a typical sized 50 cal can ! :D

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I gueas it is always best to hide it, personally I would suggest, a liberty fatboy or fatboy jr. personally I bought the jr. on layaway and its the best desicion I have made yet.

I have a Fatboy Jr and love it. One suggestion. Make sure you bolt it down. I read a story some time ago that a man had a very large safe and he thought that since it was so big he wouldn't bolt it down. He and his wife cam home one day and there wood floor had dimples in it. Someone had stolem the safe by rolling it out on golf balls..... Fact or fiction it does make a point....

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    A quality gun safe bolted to the floor should be good enough. Some of the larger safes weigh up to 800lbs no one is walking out with that.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I was gifted a decent safe for christmas. The locks on it are nothing to write home about but it will keep my kids friends out.

That said... I'm rigging up mine with an internal battery source and a cell phone on a magnetic reed sensor, so that when its opened I will get a txt message telling me, "safe has been opened."

If I get the text and I'm not home, I know something nefarious is afoot. I'm also setting up a webcam that is motion activated to upload snapshots to my email account. So, whoever gets in, better like having their picture taken. They won't be able to even approach the safe without getting caught on camera. And the entire system would run for upto 8 hours without grid electricity. (I'm a nerd if you couldn't tell)

A cheap gun locker is just so so, but add a $35.00 rasberry pi, a burner phone, a desktop UPS, and a cheap webcam and you have a $150.00 insurance program.

Enkrypter - I'm not a geek (setting up my computer & network frustrated me, lol), so I didn't know what a Raspberry Pi is or for that matter a magnetic reed sensor or desktop UPS, but after searching for them on Google, this idea sounds very interesting. Can you tell us more?...i.e., where to get the parts, difficulty in putting it together for the non-geek/nerd (level of nerdiness needed to install), limitations of the system, etc.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Get you a good safe and don't worry about it. You can get one for 600 or so dollars. They can burn off the hinges and still the door will not open. They can knock off the lock and drill the door and it will not open. Don't waist time with cheap stuff. Don't know what you are going to put in it but think ahead and buy one time.

BRILEY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I have found that a well trained dog, a pittbull in my case, works very well for keeping an unwanted visitor out.

I too have found that a well trained dog (PitBull in my case as well) have worked VERY well! All they require is a little TLC, food, water & training (which can be done on your own with time and patients), we've had neighbors that have been broken in to, but for whatever reason the binds on my 2nd story picture window being open while we're gone, and one of my dogs maintaining his lookout post seems to keep our personal belongings quite safe... Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom