• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Loading for 358 Hoosier, 180 gr jacketed bullet. Looking at the data that is floating around, I see loads for powders like Accurate 2230 and Hodgdon H322. In between these 2 on the Hodgdon burn rate chart I see IMR 3031, Hodgdon H335, Ramshot X-terminator, etc. But, I don't see loads developed for these powders in the data that I have. What I'm wondering is, can it be assumed that these powders would be safe to develop loads with, based on the fact that their burning rates fall between those of powders that are listed in the data? I realize that the powder density comes into play, that you need to start on the low side and work up, and also know that a chronograph would be especially useful. Powders seem hard to find, so if acceptable loads can be made with other powders, it may help. Thanks.

Last edited:

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    As you probably know, a given powder may be listed in a different relative position to another powder, depending upon which chart you are using. This is to be expected, because as far as I know, there is no universally-accepted, totally objective method by which to rank different powders. And, there are lots of powders on the market that have pretty similar burn rates. The chart makers recognize this and caution that their charts give only a rough indication of relative burn rates.

Yes, acceptable .358 Hoosier loads can be made with other powders. This assumes you use good common sense in selecting a powder (including comparing data with similar cartridges), use appropriate loading and labeling cautions, and you note pressure indicators as you fire each round loaded with gradually increasing (suggest not more than one-half grain increments) powder charges. If you fire one that gives an excessive pressure indicator stop right there. Tear down the remaining loads and do not load any more rounds with a charge that gave you the high pressure indicator. Suggest backing off at least one whole grain.

Good luck finding a suitable load with powders you currently have, or can readily obtain. I assume you have read through this thread, including Post #10:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...337880-358-hoosier-bullet-powder-options.html

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    One of the challenges you take on when working with a wildcat cartridge is to either find documented data someone else worked up, or to apply the reloading knowledge you possess toward developing your own data. This is especially important as time goes by and newer components become available that others haven't tried. When I first got my 6.5JDJ there was a fair amount of data available and IMR4320 was THE powder for it. These days there are other powders that are also quite suitable, like Varget, but there isn't nearly as much "known good" data for the newer components. It can be a lot of fun finding a new combination that works very well for your unique gun. :)

Top Bottom