• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Im torn between whether or not I want to add optics to my AR or not. Aimpoints and Eotechs have their advantages but IMO they are just overpriced, which is turning me off of optics. Ive been looking at a Burris AR-332. Priced at a reasonable ~$320.

The only downside I see to them is the battery life is around 200 hours which doesnt really bother me, other than that ive been seeing some positive reviews on it.

SPECS: Aluminum, hardcoat anodized, matte black. 40mm tube, 32mm objective lens, 3x magnification. 5.3" (13.4cm) long, 14.2 oz. (403g) wt. 2½" (6.3mm) eye relief, ¼" MOA click adjustment, 32 ft.(80m) field of view at 100 yds. Requires one (1) CR-2032 lithium battery, included. Battery life: 200 hours (high), 500 hours (low).

What do you guys think?
    ar_332.jpg

ballistic_cqreticle_dia.jpg

ballistic_cqreticle.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Have you ever shot an AR with an Aimpoint or EOTech mounted? You might find yourself quite surprised at their "magic".

Ive been looking at a Burris AR-332. Priced at a reasonable ~$320.

In the $320 range, you could be getting into a used EOThingy or Aimpoint.

WTS: EOTech 552 (Price Reduced $350.00) - AR15.COM

WTS: AIMPOINT COMP M2 with ADM Cantilever Mount, LNIB $375 SPF to SMB42 - AR15.COM

Personally, I see a huge price gap in red dot optics. Either I'm going to spend $120 on a Primary Arms knockoff, or $5-600 on a real-deal Aimpoint. I don't see much advantage to the optics offered in the between price range.

Something like this is kinda interesting though. . . .

FS Burris FastFire on LaRue Mount - AR15.COM

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Have you ever shot an AR with an Aimpoint or EOTech mounted? You might find yourself quite surprised at their "magic".

In the $320 range, you could be getting into a used EOThingy or Aimpoint.

WTS: EOTech 552 (Price Reduced $350.00) - AR15.COM

WTS: AIMPOINT COMP M2 with ADM Cantilever Mount, LNIB $375 SPF to SMB42 - AR15.COM

Personally, I see a huge price gap in red dot optics. Either I'm going to spend $120 on a Primary Arms knockoff, or $5-600 on a real-deal Aimpoint. I don't see much advantage to the optics offered in the between price range.

Something like this is kinda interesting though. . . .

FS Burris FastFire on LaRue Mount - AR15.COM
    Somehow I knew you were going to be the first to respond :D

So what your saying is I would be fine with a knock off :laugh:

The more I look at this one I like the compensation reticles on it and that his has a 3x zoom already, which im pretty sure Eotech lacks, not positive about aimpoint.

As far as buying used, as a general rule, i try to stay away from buying used.

In all honesty, im not the flashy must have an ACOG cause it cost a lot type. Ill take $50 red dot all day long as long as it holds zero and doesnt look like it belongs on a nerf gun

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Somehow I knew you were going to be the first to respond :D

The more I look at this one I like the compensation reticles on it and that his has a 3x zoom already, which im pretty sure Eotech lacks, not positive about aimpoint.

In all honesty, im not the flashy must have an ACOG cause it cost a lot type. Ill take $50 red dot all day long as long as it holds zero and doesnt look like it belongs on a nerf gun

I resemble that remark...;)

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Oh and I wasnt referring to you, I just had to use ACOG cause we talk about them all the time

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I took the irons off my 15-22 and still could hit what I was aiming at with no sights, sights are overrated

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Yes, actually. If your intended purpose was not one in which your life could depend on the absolute functioning of the optic.

Alone, EOTechs and Aimpoints provide no magnification. But that is not really their intended purpose either.

IMO, the compensation reticles are too "busy" for a red dot optic. I prefer a simple dot.

Normally I would agree. But, as in the case of an Aimpoint, they are so incredibly rugged that even one beat to all hell by a SWAT cop would still serve you well for many years.

Ill take $50 red dot all day long as long as it holds zero and doesnt look like it belongs on a nerf gun

That's why for "fun guns", I really like the Primary Arms offerings. You get the form factor of an Aimpoint, minus the extended battery life and overall ruggedness, for substantially less $$.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Our fellow member Cru let me shoot his Bushmaster with Eotech. I must say that Dady like. That was my first time shooting an AR15 using optics.

Top Bottom