• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So I'm not quite to full Busse status yet but I'm wanting to get started small. Is there anywhere local to buy something like Swamp Rat or Scrapyard besides the 1500? I won't be able to attend the next one until Saturday and I'm afraid they'll be gone. I keep checking the classifieds here but not much there lately.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    . . . I won't be able to attend the next one until Saturday and I'm afraid they'll be gone. I keep checking the classifieds here but not much there lately.
    I think they "ration" the knives at the 1500 Busse table so you might find something you like on Sat. Have you checked the 'For Sale/Trade' section of the Busse forum on Blade Forums? Usually a lot of Bussekin for sale there.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    If you are just getting started and want something sweet, get a Ratmandu! ;)

You can order them from their website but it will take several weeks to arrive.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The collectors are going to gobble up anything exotic on Friday, but I guarantee they won't be sold out by Saturday. As far as other outlets to buy them from, your choices are direct, a few select gun / knife shows, or second hand.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    You can order them from their website but it will take several weeks to arrive.
    Several weeks for sure. They claim 3 to 5 weeks but I ordered a Rodent Solution about 9 weeks ago and I'm still waiting. I e-mailed them a couple of times after waiting 5 weeks but they haven't replied. I guess they're maintaining their legendarily lousy customer service.:xmad: I'm currently asking myself if that knife is really worth this abuse - maybe just tell them to keep it when (or if) they finally notify me it's ready.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I'll also recommend a RatManDu. Great first knife for the kin.

You can order them direct, or as mentioned, you can find plenty over at Blade Forums.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Several weeks for sure. They claim 3 to 5 weeks but I ordered a Rodent Solution about 9 weeks ago and I'm still waiting. I e-mailed them a couple of times after waiting 5 weeks but they haven't replied. I guess they're maintaining their legendarily lousy customer service.:xmad: I'm currently asking myself if that knife is really worth this abuse - maybe just tell them to keep it when (or if) they finally notify me it's ready.

I ordered a Ratmandu and got it in like 3 weeks, ordered a rodent 9 over 2 months ago and no news.

I think timing greatly depends on what they are making at the time, they get enough orders to make a batch then start on it. LOTS of batches of ratmandu's not sure how many people are buying the solution - it didn't really jump out as neat to me...

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    I ordered a Ratmandu and got it in like 3 weeks, ordered a rodent 9 over 2 months ago and no news.

I think timing greatly depends on what they are making at the time, they get enough orders to make a batch then start on it.
    Thats probably true. I'm not really concerned about the wait other than it's way longer than they said it would be. Their lack of communication, and the implied arrogance thereof (or maybe it's just incompetence) is what's bugging me.
    LOTS of batches of ratmandu's not sure how many people are buying the solution - it didn't really jump out as neat to me...
    I'm hoping it will be a poor man's Game Warden :)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    He will definitely have some left no question about it. and I'm not positive but grind stone charlies in ft wayne has a ton of busse knives for sale all the time. I think he keeps some rats and dogs in there as well. other than that hit up the exchange on bladeforums. It will cost you a bit more possibly but you will get that instant gratification.

TC guy just a heads up there sites were down for like 2 weeks or so. they may never have got your email. Also a new employee just took over running the swamp and he is still learning all the finer points of making it work. give them a chance. Josh who is doing it now is a great guy and always very helpful. it was another guy running the store and handling all the stuff for the past few years and he only handled that stuff. Josh is making knives on top of all the other responsibilities. just a little info

the ratmandu is a great knife and it is definitely worth the wait. it is however much bigger than a game warden :) you will be happy you got it.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I think they "ration" the knives at the 1500 Busse table so you might find something you like on Sat. Have you checked the 'For Sale/Trade' section of the Busse forum on Blade Forums? Usually a lot of Bussekin for sale there.

The knives are NOT rationed. If there are dups they only put one out. It would not make good business sense to hold anything back for another day and hope the guy wasn't there the day before to buy THAT knife.
    But what do I know....maybe YOU are right:dunno:

Bob

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thats probably true. I'm not really concerned about the wait other than it's way longer than they said it would be. Their lack of communication, and the implied arrogance thereof (or maybe it's just incompetence) is what's bugging me. I'm hoping it will be a poor man's Game Warden :)

Have you tried calling the shop? Jerry and I had a blowup about 13 years ago and it was solved with a phone call. Try it. You might be surprised. Orders are shipped in the order they are recieved so maybe the first orders went out and you just are lower on the list.
    just trying to help.

Bob

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think I want to go with the Ratmandu after doing some research and hearing your thoughts. Hopefully I can find one at the show still, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled prior to that. Thanks guys!

P.S. If anybody has one they don't use and would like to sell... :yesway:

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    The knives are NOT rationed. If there are dups they only put one out. It would not make good business sense to hold anything back for another day and hope the guy wasn't there the day before to buy THAT knife.
    But what do I know....maybe YOU are right:dunno:
    Bob
    Hi Bob -
    It would also not make good business sense to rent the table(s) for three days and sign a contract with a 'no leave early' clause if you only have enough product to last 1 (or less) days. I'm thinking Mike is a crafty old dude:).

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    Have you tried calling the shop? Jerry and I had a blowup about 13 years ago and it was solved with a phone call. Try it. You might be surprised. Orders are shipped in the order they are recieved so maybe the first orders went out and you just are lower on the list.
    just trying to help.
    Bob
    Thanks much for the sitrep, Bob.
    I haven't tried calling as phones don't work that well for me (bad case of 'ordnance ears'). If I can find a toll free# for the Swamp Shop I'll try it. However, the recent personnel realignment doesn't excuse what appears to be a legendary lack of customer service over the years. If this is some sort of inbred corporate culture then I'm not interested in playing the game - their knives aren't worth it to me.
    Whoops, just realized much of the sitrep thanks should have gone to "Grunt Soldier" - thank you much, G.S.:D

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Granted they may have long lead times on their knives, long lead times on answering questions, no clear start/end dates for production and a lot of other things that could be listed as a fault.

But they make great products and there is a bigger demand for their product than they can produce. I like to see success stories like the Bussekin knife companies, it's what real capitalism should look like, not the corporate growth mindset where you just keep growing and ramping up production until you saturate the walmart shelves with your product...

Sorry, not trying to even defend them with this post but more so to say I respect them and their methods.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    P.S. If anybody has one they don't use and would like to sell... :yesway:

jsharmon7

Here's a pic of my bussekin blades. I've been considering thinning things out a bit, and my ratmandu was a thought. I just picked up the Rodent 4 on the bottom. Have several blades about this size and they all just sit in the safe anyway.

Or if you want real INFI, I might let the SAR3 on top go. :):

Let me know what you think.

picture.php

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I love my Ratmandu. It's my favorite fixed blade for all-around general use.

Regarding time frames? Sheesh you guys! It's only ever TWO WEEKS! CAN'T YOU WAIT TWO WEEKS??

LOL. Two weeks is an inside joke among Busse people.

I cut Busse a lot of slack. They're a small company, and they put out a great product. Sure, they have a unique way of doing business, but it works for them. It's not like you can run into any knife retailer in the country, and buy a Busse, you know. Any maker of quality blades will usually have some sort of wait time. Try ordering a Randall from the company and see what your wait time is. LOL.

Your best bet will be Knob Creek if you can wait a couple months. They will have LOTS of knives there ranging all over in price. The 1500 will be hit and miss. Mike might have what you're looking for, he might not. He'll probably have Ratmandus, though.

Top Bottom