• ...and so much more!
  • Marksman2019

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Northern IN
    Hey everybody!

I normally go online to by my ammo but during a visit to my local gun shop I noticed that they carry a far larger variety of brands and calibers. Is it worth it to purchase ammo from my local shops even though many times the prices are higher? Also, do you purchase your ammo locally whether it be from big box stores or your LGS or do you purchase online?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Respectfully, doubtful the LGS carries a larger variety than that available online, since absolutely everything is available online, depending on where one looks.

Personally, whether the purchase is online or through a LGS depends on the need at the moment. JMO, but if just one or two boxes are needed, it's typically not worth the shipping to order online. However, if half a dozen boxes or more are needed, the shipping (perhaps free) makes it worthwhile to order online.

For me, rarely is the instance where ammo is needed 'immediately'. A sufficient supply is on-hand, and any bought (from whatever source) just replenishes what is being depleted.

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I would rather buy locally but I guess so would everyone else because they are always out of what I need. I did find some .22 the other day at Walmart. WOW!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    It all depends on how much money you have and how much you care about how much you pay for your ammo. If you don't mind it being over priced and have the money to waste, go ahead and get it where ever you like. If you don't have much disposable income and are looking for the best value, shop around and buy from the best place you can find it......LGS or online.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Lately I have been on line, but months ago, LGS had it, I bought it.
    Just to support local business, I also buy 'something', anytime it is my first visit to any LGS. It can range from targets, something from the 'bargain bin', or ammo if needed.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I tend go online to buy any factory ammo that I do purchase. More often, though, it'buying components online.

.22LR is the one exception that I always have bought locally.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Before I started reloading, if I was buying bulk ammo, I ordered online. If I was buying just a couple boxes of ammo for hunting or something that I didn't shoot a lot, then I'd buy in store. Only bulk ammo I've never bought online is shotgun shells.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    sometimes it's a fine line between paying sales tax or shipping cost.
    If the numbers are close, I would by local and have the ammo in hand right away.

Of course I reload now, so the only ammo I purchase anymore is self defense ammo.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you look around, some online sites will have free shipping if you buy in bulk. Target Sports USA is a good example of this. You can find some really good prices, plus if you buy a case (1k rounds typically) you get free shipping. Otherwise, ammoseek is a great resource for finding a good price per round, though you have to check each place out to see what they charge for shipping and if they charge tax up front.

If you can afford it, buy local. Otherwise, nothing wrong with saving money and buying online.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Buy it whwre you find it, I would like another box or two of 9mm 147 gr Federal HST, that said no one that I know of in Central Indiana, has them in stock (you can find 124 gr at GM), so on line like www.sgammo.com at times is the only option.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I reload so I don't buy ammo normally. Probably just get 22lr from WalMart whenever it comes back on the shelves, but stacked it deep when it was cheap so I have been able to weather the storm. I get my subsonic or std velocity 22lr from any LGS that has it on the shelf when I want to play with my suppressor. I did order a couple boxes of Buffalo Bore 38spl +P nasties last week because nobody around here stocks it. I would have paid the extra to buy it locally if anyone had it on their shelf though. I was a small business owner myself for a while so I try to support them as much as I can now.

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    Like so many of you, I reload, but mostly handgun ammo. I have buds (and a son) in various LE agencies, so whenever they're doing their 5.56 purchases, I'll piggyback a case or two along w/them. Helps them with their order volume, and I get a pretty good deal. They advise the vendor that there's some of the ammo being bought for a "friend" of the department, and none of them have ever had an issue with it.

Some of the other stuff, i DO buy online, either because it's rare (8x57JR for my 120 year-old Drilling, etc), or to ensure I can get matched lot numbers (I buy 8-10 boxes of hunting ammo at a time of the same caliber). Other than that, I go with local shops.

Having said all that....I typically buy my reloading components from Graf's - they usually have the best prices on 10k primers w/shipping & hazmats (for primers & powder). Has anyone come across a better source? I'd be inclined to stay with them unless it's a significant difference, though, since they will hold an order until it's complete if you ask them to.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wise folks will buy where they get the best price. One must do the math. Taxes and shipping often make online more expensive than LGS, so one must run the numbers first.

Wise folks will keep a good supply on hand so they can keep shooting during Sandy Hill panics. This will also eliminate need-it-now purchases.

Top Bottom