• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I have lurked for almost a year while saving money to purchase a few firearms. I certainly have learned a lot from the folks here.

My first purchases were to be this Christmas which would include a handgun and shotgun. Eventually I thought I would want a rifle. But I have not decided if I really need or just want one. I am 62 with limited places to shoot so I even if I want an AR15 or a Remington 700 how much use would I get out of it. My intended use would be for home defense/personal protection.

As usual I have waited to long to decide as the feeding frenzy has begun. So my question is the frenzy limited to AR15 and such or does it include handguns and shotguns as well?

Do I buy anything now or wait a while?

Thanks.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    The frenzy isn't limited to AR and AKs, but focused there.

In my opinion, if you didn't need it enough last week to buy it....no rush to buy it now.
    That said, I have been putting off a few purchases that I rectified the other day. Bought some mags for various guns that we (my wife and I) felt we should have had anyway. 4 mags total, 1 for a pistol, two for our 10/22, and 1 for the S12. Maybe a hair of a kneejerk reaction, but not panic by any means.

On the other hand, if this is just the push you were waiting for to decide to purchase, go for it. Just make sure you are paying what is appropriate, please don't fall victim to any unwarranted price hikes.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I would let things settle down little. If your only intresrt is for personal protection, then the guns you would beinterested in will be around in plenty supply after the panic. Pump shotguns are a non worry with any AWB, same with most handguns. Continue to save your money, continue to research, and be patient.

IndyKiller82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I haven't been to any gun stores since the panic but on the news pages things are starting to get more quiet. Anything about the AWB is no longer headlines and are getting pushed farther down on the news pages. Fox News and Drudge are not focusing on the AWB anymore, just the side articles that are a few days old now.

I think you will be able to find what you need once the panic does settle down. Good luck!

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Consensus is to wait, things will die down for now. The biggest threat to you wanting a gun for personal protection would be a proposed (and likely) ban on "high capacity" magazines that hold more than 10 cartridges. However, with that being said that may not be a big issue to you, and more importantly, there is no timetable of when such a ban might occur. Other than that, prices will likely drop as the panic buying frenzy winds down.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Im not in a big rush since it wont be taken to seriously with Mr. Malarkey heading things up. Only thing Im buying right now is ammo if I can find it....had no problems finding high cap glock mags locally. Even saw some AR's yesterday

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I plan on buying a new turkey shotgun, from what I can see the price on the shotgun has not changed. I was also planning on picking up a new handgun but I will not pay more than what it's are worth to get it.

BrianD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2012
    Lewisville
    Bought a new G26 for myself today, early Christmas present. Only drawback was a 50 min wait for NICS on paperwork. Guy said it had been that way most of the week.

Stnmikita

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Perhaps I've just been in the wrong shops, but depending on what you're wanting it seems that the cupboard was bare everywhere I visited and the back ordering was in full force with about 2 months being the avg. wait time.

Even with the incompetent buffoon at the helm, two plus months might be enough time for these fools to get something in place.

milewis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    From my experience going to the LGS last night to watch the frenzy and see what was left:

AR/AK/Magazines - Still available but going quickly. low priced guns were gone. Sales people were telling customers when they expected more firearms in. No reserving. They still had some Pmags, but not a lot.

Pistol Magazines - Highly popular models were gone. Surprizingly large ammount of Glock 23 off brand magazines for cheap (too bad they weren't G17).

Pistols - Still had plenty on the wall. Stock was already low because of the election, but did not seem more than before.

Shotguns/long guns - Plenty in stock.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for the quick responses.

I had my eye on a couple of shotguns and know what the prices were earlier.

One was a Benelli Super Nova Pump tactical. I never seem to find one used and they don't seem to get discounted much new. I might check back and see if the price has changed.

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    FWIW Elmores on 135 had some normalish looking prices yesterday, I was kinda impressed by that. I am no expert but I was checking the local shops for a PF9 8 round mag so I snooped around a bit while I was in each store.

Top Bottom