• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    What do you recommend for a trainer 22lr? How would a nicer 10/22 fit the bill?

I shoot my CZ452 Varmint at 200 yards quite often. After getting it set up, my 10/22 gets left in the safe quite a bit more nowadays. It has no doubt helped my centerfire shooting.

A 10/22 can be made to shoot like a much nicer bolt action, but not without spending a fair amount of money in upgrades (stock, barrel, trigger).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'd stick to shooting 600yds and under. If you want to shoot 1000yds, then be ready to pony up serious cash. You'll have probably in the neighborhood of $1500+ just in a barrel and glass to shoot well at that range. Best bet is to jump over to sniper hide forum and read up. Not trying to be discouraging, but realistic for a college kid

He said he wants to shoot 1000 yards, not compete with the best at 1000 yards. IMHO, there is no reason a person cannot shoot decent at 1000 yards for $1,000-1500. My long-range gun is right around the $1,000 mark. Wait, how could I possibly have a long-range gun at that price? I bought a cheap, off-the shelf Rem 700 SPS Varmint for ~$450 OTD, ditched the crappy stock, cut the barrel down to a more reasonable 20", put a good, but not overly expensive stock on it, didn't spend gobs of money on DBM system, bought a quality scope that doesn't have all the bells & whistles, bought quality base/rings second-hand.

All told my costs look about like this:
    Rem 700, $450
    Bell & Carlson Stock, $220
    Super Sniper Fixed power Scope, $300
    Leupold MK4 2nd-hand Base/Rings, $90
    Bipod, $60
    Sand-sock, $1 (home-made)
    Total: $1121 (not including suppressor, ammo, custom paint-job etc)

BTW, does anybody remember years ago when live.com was running their promotion with ebay? I stole MANY of these compenents off ebay at 30% off through the live.com cash-back promo. While prices have increased a bit and you likely couldn't build a similar gun for under $1400 today, there is no reason that a frugal person couldn't build a nice, long-range gun on a budget.

Top Bottom