• ...and so much more!
  • BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Gentlemen,

I'm buying a .380 just because I don't have one and have never had one...I have most of the other calibers so why not??? Anyway, what ammo recommendations do you guys and gals have. I am getting the Ruger LCP with Lasermax if that makes any difference. I will need practice and self defense ammo. I'm thinking I'm going to stash it in a backpack that goes with me from time to time.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Nothin wrong with owning a 380. I have a Markarov in 380.
    Ammo? Hardball for training AND self defense (to improve penetration).

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

I did some research and I do agree about fmj, most of the hp's did show un sufficient penetration regardless of brand and weight. But the fmj's did the job just fine and that is what carry in my .380.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I recently did the same thing, I got a Kahr CW380. My advice is buy any ammo you find. I haven't seen it in a store for close to a month.

Last edited:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

I did some research and I do agree about fmj, most of the hp's did show un sufficient penetration regardless of brand and weight. But the fmj's did the job just fine and that is what carry in my .380.

+3

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple of .380s. My carry ammo has always been Hornady Critical Defense but I'm starting to wonder if it does make more sense to carry FMJ. I cannot recommend any specific FMJ ammo since I reload all of mine. If you are intrested in reloading, .380 is a great caliber to reload for. You can reload .380 for around $5 per box of 50 and even less if you are careful where you shop. It uses very little powder and rather light bullets and makes a great plinking round for reloading. Plus, you save a ton reloading .380 over buying commercial.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I suggest buying the LCP with the Crimson Trace laser grip. No second thoughts or additional movements to activate the laser.

Hornady Critical Defense in my LCP.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I suggest buying the LCP with the Crimson Trace laser grip. No second thoughts or additional movements to activate the laser.

Hornady Critical Defense in my LCP.

HCD Did terrible, as did the golden sabers i carry.

I use Speer Gold Dot.

Better, but wasn't considered the greatest.

[video=youtube;GNtPHYwcDts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts&list=PLgNSGOEQko_MjOCGyqlMTiM2 njdQQRbdg&index=1[/video]

Shooting the bull had a great series on 380 ammo... I still need to replace the golden sabers that are in mine, just haven't gotten around to it since it's still winter and the lcp lives in the safe currently.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgNSGOEQko_MjOCGyqlMTiM2njdQQRbdg

Last edited:

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I personally carry some homemade +P 102GR Golden Sabres reloads in my P3AT. In my "homemade" ballistic tests (of wet newspaper), they expanded every time and had reasonable penetration. I carry some 90 grain FMJs in my backup magazine.

I have seen some good reviews on the Buffalo Bore 90 GR JHP. If I was going to carry factory ammo, that is what I would personally choose. I wouldn't feed your pistol a steady diet of it though, as I'm sure they are pushing the pressure envelope:

380 +P Buffalo Bore Ballistic Gel Test - YouTube

This might also help you make a decision:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP/380 ACP 10% gelatin results.pdf

I haven't read great things about the standard pressure Golden Sabres, Critical Defense, Gold Dots, or Rangers. I've seen some ok reviews on the Hydrashock and some of Corbon's stuff, but wasn't exactly impressed.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have an LCP that I have ran hundreds of rounds of fiocchi fmj through it. It seems to like it well enough. I started carrying fmj for self defense, then went to critical defense, now I'm back to fmj. I think I need the penetration more than the expansion in a .380.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

:):.......Ser'ously ?........:):.......SOOooooo......?.......be will'n ta ......stand a hunnerd ft away an' let sumbody spit 5 or 6 at'cha ?......:):

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    :):.......Ser'ously ?........:):.......SOOooooo......?.......be will'n ta ......stand a hunnerd ft away an' let sumbody spit 5 or 6 at'cha ?......:):

If you think about it a .380 in the hand is better than a 45 in the safe. Regardless of caliber it WILL hurt when you get shot. (I experienced a .22lr and a stray 7.62X39 in my arm) Trust me when i say this, the only time your gonna dump 2 or more mags in self defense is when the attacker is hyped up on bath salts or PCP.

Top Bottom