• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsoberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    warsaw in
    can i go to a gun store and pick a AR 15 in illinois? i live in indiana the store it 3 hr from me. i think it would be better than having it shipped to a store hear ? did not know if this i possibe

bsoberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    warsaw in
    thank you for the info. the reason i woudl like to go buy it there is i can see it and see how it fits. not just a pic. i may have to make 2 trips if they have a cool off law

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    When I was in KY last week I was close to Knob Creek gun shop and stopped in, they said they could sell me a long gun, but not a pistol (unless shipped to an IN FFL).

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I believe Indiana Code states that Indiana residents may buy rifles from the immediate surrounding states. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The best thing would be to call the store and just ask them. Even if the law allows different stores have different policies.

Example: Indiana Dunham's won't sell a rifle to an Ohio resident but Indiana Cabela's will.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    You cannot buy any firearms in IL because of their requirement of a FOID card.
    IL law requires all owners of firearms and ammo to posess a FOID card.
    You are not a resident of IL, therefore they will not issue you a card and the dealers there won't sell you anything without that card.
    IL dealers can transfer stuff to a IN dealer if you are really intersted in something specific, but that is pretty much it.
    That is the reason shows in IN like Crown Point are so popular with IL residence.
    They don't need a card to buy stuff.
    Look up IL FOID card and it will tell you everything you need to know about it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    can i go to a gun store and pick a AR 15 in illinois? i live in indiana the store it 3 hr from me. i think it would be better than having it shipped to a store hear ? did not know if this i possibe
    Personally I would not buy a box of 22LR's in Illinois, They have very bad gun laws and you may want to look at the laws before transporting any gun in Illinois. Even an Ill resident has to have a permit to purchase a gun.
    As you say you are three hours away - you can't be that far from Bradis, They have a great selection of AR-15's at decent prices - I doubt you will beat the price in an Illinois shop. At Bradis you can handle several different brands and see the differences - They are nice people.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You are not a resident of IL, therefore they will not issue you a card and the dealers there won't sell you anything without that card.
    IL dealers can transfer stuff to a IN dealer if you are really intersted in something specific, but that is pretty much it.
    That is the reason shows in IN like Crown Point are so popular with IL residence.

Interesting. I did not know the requirement of a FOID card for out-of-state purchases. I doesn't surprise me though.

Several years ago, I took a remodeling job in Chicago. During the course of this job, I found myself in need of some spray paint so I went to the local Ace Hardware. I found the paint department, but no spray paint.
    I asked an employee and he said, "..you can't buy spray paint in Crook County unless you're a contractor."
    I told him, "as it turns out, I am a contractor." I had to show them my business card before they would sell me spray paint!

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    My brother lives about 1 mile from the IL/IN border.
    He went to a show once over there.
    He was lucky to be able to buy paper targets there not being an IL resident.

The taxes over there are another reason not to go there.
    Bought some stuff once at an army/navy store just outside of Chitown.
    Tax was like 12%.
    It was better to have them ship it to me and pay the shipping than it was to buy it in person.
    IL is a sad, sad state.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

I thought IL had said that an IN LTCH acts just like an IL FOID? Thanks for the info.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Straight from the horses mouth:
    "AcquiringFirearms from a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) Gun Dealer in Illinois

· Buyer must possess a valid FOID card.

· Buyer must verify local firearm ordinance requirements.

· Buyer must display valid FOID card to FFL prior to handling firearm.

· Buyer must complete Federal. Form ATF 4473.

· FFLnotifies the Illinois State Police OSP), Firearms Services Bureau co perform a background check in accordance with state and federal laws.

· FFL receives an "Approval" from ISP to transfer the firearm.

· Buyer must abide by the State of Illinois waiting periodbefore taking possession of the firearm, The waiting period for a long gun is 24 hours and 72 hours for a hand gun.

· Upontaking possession of the firearm, the firearm must be unloaded and enclosed in a case to transport.

Acquiring or Transferring Firearms - Private CitizenTransfer in Illinois

· PrivateCitizen is defined as "Any person who is not a Federal Firearms Licensed(FF L) gun dealer who desires to acquire or transfer firearms."

· Seller and Buyer must possess a valid FOID card.

· Seller and Buyer must verify local firearm ordinance requirements.

· Buyer must display his or her valid FOLD card prior to handling the firearm.

· Buyer must abide by the State of Illinois waiting period before taking possession of the firearm. The waiting period for a long gun is 24 hours and 72 hours for a hand gun,

· Seller must keep a record of such transfer for a period of 10 years from the date of transfer.

· The record must contain the date of the transfer, the description, serial number or other information identifying the firearm if no serial number is available.

· Upon transfer of possession, the firearm must be unloaded and enclosed in a case totransport."
    Got this from the ISP website: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/9-049.pdf
    You even have to present the FOID card if you do a face to face.

Last edited:

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Even if they do accept a LTCH as a FOID, you still have to wait 24 hours till you can pick up your toy.
    In IN, there is no wait, you get approved and you go home with it.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    One big reason to never take up residence in the State of IL Almost as bad as New Jersey. The voters in these states need to take back their State and revisit the US Constitution.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I am so sorry... I guess I was wrong.
    I finally found this section in their laws, but I still think it is better to stay on this side of the border.
    I really had to dig to find this.
    (430 ILCS 65/3a) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3a)
    Sec. 3a. (a) Any resident of Illinois who has obtained a firearm owner's identification card pursuant to this Act and who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky.
    (b) Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois.
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapAct=430%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B65%2F&ChapterID=39&ChapterName=PUBLIC%2BSAFETY&ActName=Firearm%2BOwners%2BIdentification%2BCard%2BAct%2E

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Typical rule of thumb is that "you" may purchase a long gun from any state that touches your home state. "you" may only purchase a handgun from your home state. (unless there is a FFL to FFL then to you).

Illinois has a 24hr cool off for long guns and 72hrs for handguns. Ive personally seen 120hrs wait for a handgun (from an auction).

Illinois will not accept an Indiana LTCH for anything.

Only an Illinois resident can get a FOID card (legally).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    · Buyer must display valid FOID card to FFL prior to handling firearm.
    Cant-touch-this.jpg

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I've seen a sign in several Illinois gun shops stating that you must show a FOID card before handling any ammunition.

An Indiana resident can buy a firearm in Illinois.
    A hunting license has nothing to do with it.
    There is a waiting period for long guns.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I believe Indiana Code states that Indiana residents may buy rifles from the immediate surrounding states. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Corrected:
    As an Indiana resident, you can buy a long gun from any state that will sell them to you. The contiguous state thing is old news.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think the buyer should call the gun shop in Illinois first.:twocents:

This might make some heads swim, but not that long ago, I purchased a new XD9 pistol face to face from Springfield Armory at their temporary store at Camp Perry in Ohio. As you know, Springfield is a Illinois company.

A 4473, exchange of cash, a receipt and I drove home to Indiana with my new handgun in less than 20 minutes. I have an Indiana ID. Yhey did not ask to see my LTCH. They collected Ohio Sales tax.

I am not the only one. Folks from all over the country purchased handguns and long guns during the week. Including Illinois residents. FOID? Ignored, or at least not needed. Even from Illinois residents.

Other gun manufacturers from Illinois and other states do the same thing every year on commercial row.

This is why I frequently scoff at the absolutists who make solumn proclamations about interstate sales based on their laymen's interpretations of the regs and laws.

Last edited:

bsoberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    warsaw in
    I called the gun store you can buy. but you need 2 forms of ID with a pic on them and you have to wate 24hr and then you can get you gun i will go and pick it out and then have it sent to my ffl hear in IN Thank you Guys for all the info

Top Bottom