• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I'm buying a Glock 22 Gen 2 Police trade in today. I've never had a Glock, but I've been wanting to taste the Koolaid for awhile now. What do I look for? I'm not too worried because they seem to have a high reputation, but this one has probably been shot a lot. Just looking for a little heads up. Thanks!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'd probably just have a Glock armorer look it over and swap out the springs.

Being a police trade in, probably hasn't really been used that much.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    +1 to what Hickman said. It seems counter to what most would believe but a great majority of police do not shoot their gun outside of their qualifying efforts. I am lucky enough to know several that shoot IDPA at our monthly matches and are fantastic and knowledgeable gun guys; unfortunately many of our police out there aren't the gun guys of years ago.

That G22 could conceivably have less than 500-700 rounds through it but with it being a Glock 5-7000 and it would probably still be in the same condition. Unless it's broken in half and has bullet holes in it, it probably hasn't been too abused!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would believe that gun hasn't really been broken in, unless the officer is different than most who only shoot to qualify.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Well not to be a smart ass but your looking for the ugly brick looking thing. Its normally black and if its a 40cal it blows up.. ok JK :P

I would expect it to be in good shape. It may have a few hundred rounds threw it but I wouldn't expect much more. Like more glocks expect a good shooter.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    We just traded in our Glocks for the new Gen 4 Glock 19s. A really stupid move in my opinion. These guns were anywhere from Gen 1's to Gen 3's and only had about 1500 rounds thru them at most ! Couple that with the fact that the Gen 4's do not have the durable slide finish that the earlier Glock have and it makes even less sense.

To add insult to injury, everyone was forced to go to the Model 19. Its like telling a guy that wears an X-Large to be happy wearing a size Medium.

I'd buy it without too much concern. I think you'll be happy with it.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'd try to go out and shoot one if you have never done so before.

:+1:

But then again, I have bought several of my handguns without firing one first.

Either way, enjoy the "new" Glock! I have carried my Dad's and shot plenty others that I know wouldn't want my own, but I still catch myself eyeing them in the classifieds! Hope it works out really well for ya.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We just traded in our Glocks for the new Gen 4 Glock 19s. A really stupid move in my opinion. These guns were anywhere from Gen 1's to Gen 3's and only had about 1500 rounds thru them at most ! Couple that with the fact that the Gen 4's do not have the durable slide finish that the earlier Glock have and it makes even less sense.

To add insult to injury, everyone was forced to go to the Model 19. Its like telling a guy that wears an X-Large to be happy wearing a size Medium.

im not sure i see that as being a bad thing. i know the size thing for some people would suck, but knowing if the shtf you could use someone else's mags...

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    The owner said he put 1,100 rounds through it after he bought it as a trade in. But ike others have said, Glocks seem to laugh at such abuse. I want one cause im a lefty and I like the way the 17 s and 22 s feel and work out for me.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Basically, you're looking for a large, square-looking pistol that says Glock on the side, and appears to have all its parts.

Once you get that part done, just pick the one that looks the least "worn." This probably won't have any affect on how it functions, just on how it looks. Its a Glock; as long as it hasn't been drastically abused, (and sometimes even if it has,) it will work just fine.

Enjoy the kool-aid. :)

Hoosier Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    As long as the slide, barrel, and frame are not damaged, you should be good to go. Any other parts are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home

Explain? Are you referring to the coating or the hardening process? Because contrary to internet and gun shop myth Tennifer and Melonite are the same thing. Different trademark names owned by the same company for the same process, do a little research and you will find this as fact.
    The exterior coating is just that, it has nothing to with corrosion resistance or hardness just cosmetics.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I got it, and its glorious. Its a Generation 2 G22, Detroit PD trade in, with one DPD mag and a civilian one, both 15 rounders. I'll post it up soon.

Top Bottom