• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    Can you buy a handgun and ammo at the same time? My wife was wondering because her father bought a gun and ammo, stepped outside the gun store and killed himself. I know there is no waiting period and that you don't have to have a license, but I told her I wasn't sure about buying both at the same time.

Thank for any input.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Can you buy a handgun and ammo at the same time? My wife was wondering because her father bought a gun and ammo, stepped outside the gun store and killed himself. I know there is no waiting period and that you don't have to have a license, but I told her I wasn't sure about buying both at the same time.

Thank for any input.
    I believe that is up to each store. I've bought a gun and some ammo at gun stores but some chain stores don't allow you to buy both at the same time. :dunno:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    There is not a law that says you cant.

I have never heard of a store that does not allow you too.

If your father in laws will was to take his life gun laws would not prevent that.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel

If your father in laws will was to take his life gun laws would not prevent that.

We understand that and we told everyone involved from the Taxi driver that knew him to the individual who sold him the gun that there were no ill feelings and that we are sorry that he put them through it. She was just wondering. We went to the gun store and appologized to the guys, I think that it was a huge relief for them to hear it from family members.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I read about this incident when I was in Evansville last week.

My condolences to you and your wife.

I do have a question, though, if you feel like answer it it. Did he recently get a bad health prognosis or something? Or perhaps massive financial troubles? Pure curiosity on my part; no offense intended.

-J-

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    We understand that and we told everyone involved from the Taxi driver that knew him to the individual who sold him the gun that there were no ill feelings and that we are sorry that he put them through it. She was just wondering. We went to the gun store and appologized to the guys, I think that it was a huge relief for them to hear it from family members.

You and your wife are good people.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

Our Wal Mart wouldn't sell guns and ammo at the same time.
    Of course that's a moot point now since the bozos stopped selling guns. :noway:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    First, I am sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you have both handled it (regarding others involved) very well. Blaming people never really makes you feel better.

As for whether laws would prevent such a thing... as other have said, it wouldn't. Heck many years ago someone walked into a Galyans, asked to see one of the guns, and when the salesman handed it to him, he dropped a loose round he had in his pocket into the chamber and shot himself. The decision to take your own life is not a small one. If someone has made that decision... there isn't much you can do to stop them.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

It was nice of you to do that and I feel for your wife's loss, but her father did a very selfish and thoughtless thing, no matter how much hell he personally felt he was going through. One cannot understand what another goes through mentally, but I hope I never arrive at a point like that.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I'm sorry for your loss and I'm not sure that we can understand what goes through a person's head when they consider this course of action. One thing we can all agree on is that i's not the gun, ammo, or the store's fault for something like this.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    My condolences to you and your family. I have heard this before. I know that several pawn shops in Lafayette do not allow you buy both at once. I suspect that is has something to do with tragedies such as this and the parts of town they are located in.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    walmart years and years ago... around 04ish (before they stopped selling shotguns instore) would only sell you the gun and you had to be walked out the door by a manager. they wouldnt sell the gun and ammo at the same time... *got around this by having my friend by the ammo fer me. lol

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom