• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I'm going on a trip to Tennessee and Kentucky soon and was wondering what I must do to purchase a gun and bring it back to IN. Will I have to ship it via a FFL or can I just cash and carry?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    You can buy a rifle or shot gun in KY and take it with you. A handgun would have to be shipped to your FFL and picked up here.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    General rule of thumb:

Contiguous states, you may purchase a long-gun from an FFL and do a 4473 and be good to go.

Handguns MUST go through an FFL in your state of residence.

According to the law, private sales between residents of differing states are illegal unless they go through an FFL / 4473.

So, depending on the gun you may find in KY, you may very well be able to go cash & carry.

-J-

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    General rule of thumb:

Contiguous states, you may purchase a long-gun from an FFL and do a 4473 and be good to go.

Handguns MUST go through an FFL in your state of residence.

According to the law, private sales between residents of differing states are illegal unless they go through an FFL / 4473.

So, depending on the gun you may find in KY, you may very well be able to go cash & carry.

-J-
    Did you mean adjacent? Or is it all states but Alaska and Hawaii?

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    It ain't worth taking a chance. If you're not sure, ask a gun dealer. It can get sticky here. My brother -in-law can't own a thing anymore because of misinformation, and a call to authorities from some one that didn't like him.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This was also my thinking. Hopefully someone will fill us in. I was under the impression that the law had been changed a year or two ago.

Anecdotally... I've read forum posts where folks have stopped in at shops in non-contiguous states and have been allowed to walk out of the store with their new long gun.

Perhaps it becomes a state-level restriction, then... Certain states may allow folks to cash & carry, but others may not (if not a bordering state).

Stupid laws.

-J-

Top Bottom