• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Is it standard procedure to buy a handgun before the dealer does the ATF paperwork ? I paid for a handgun and then filled out the paperwork and when the dealer called it in he said that it was delayed. I don't know why it would have been delayed as I have never had any issues with LE and even have my LTCH. I have purchased guns before and they usually wait for the approval before taking the money. Is it legal for them to sell me the gun ( even though I havn't taken possesion) before it is approved by the ATF. Why would a dealer perform a transaction this way. Thanks...R

Grademan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Greencastle
    Usually you do the paperwork first. I've witnessed a delay where the guy still went ahead and paid, but obviously left without the gun.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Is it standard procedure to buy a handgun before the dealer does the ATF paperwork ? I paid for a handgun and then filled out the paperwork and when the dealer called it in he said that it was delayed. I don't know why it would have been delayed as I have never had any issues with LE and even have my LTCH. I have purchased guns before and they usually wait for the approval before taking the money. Is it legal for them to sell me the gun ( even though I havn't taken possesion) before it is approved by the ATF. Why would a dealer perform a transaction this way. Thanks...R

H&H in Ft. Wayne did the same thing to me as well . I was not too happy about it either , and if you look at your reciept it will probably say no refund too ! I am assumming that way they get thier money if you should get turned down and then they'll offer to buy the gun back from you for a big loss !
    Just MHO

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    H&H in Ft. Wayne did the same thing to me as well . I was not too happy about it either , and if you look at your reciept it will probably say no refund too ! I am assumming that way they get thier money if you should get turned down and then they'll offer to buy the gun back from you for a big loss !
    Just MHO
    I am starting to dislike H&H a little more (based on this, and the statements that the owner made about guns & requiring people to be trained to buy them).

That sounds shady to me, that they would do it that way. I have never had a gun store try to pull that on me, but I would use caution in a gun store that tries that. 1st, it is illegal for them to sell a gun without the NICS check, and they know that. 2nd, if you've already bought the gun from them and the NICS check is denied, then it's too late. They've already sold the gun illegally. It doesn't make the transaction any more legal if they buy the gun back from you (at used prices of course).

That's a big red flag for me, if a gun store tries to take my money before running the NICS check. I'm about to start asking questions and raising a stink.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Off the top of my head I know three others in Indiana that operate the same way. Pay first and then run the application.. Only one I can think does it the other way. Again this is based on my purchases and could very well just be the sales person at that spacific time.

I've also heard that happens when you dont put your social # down.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Off the top of my head I know three others in Indiana that operate the same way. Pay first and then run the application.. Only one I can think does it the other way. Again this is based on my purchases and could very well just be the sales person at that spacific time.

Pop's requires you to pay for your purchase before they call it in, and if you are denied, they charge a restocking fee, which I believe is 15%. I have nothing that would ever possibly deny me the purchase of a firearm so I went along for the ride because I had a specific need that I needed to fill that day. However, given that fact and combine it with their policy of only selling ball rounds to range customers, I'm very disinclined to give them further business other than range time.

I'm under the impression that completing the transaction prior to the BATF NICS check is contrary to the policy but I didn't push it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Luckily no one else with my name exists or seems to be felonious, as I refuse to put my SSN down for a 4473, and thus far, no troubles.

Of course, now that I've said it, I have naturally jinxed myself, but hopefully my luck will continue to hold.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I am starting to dislike H&H a little more (based on this, and the statements that the owner made about guns & requiring people to be trained to buy them).

That sounds shady to me, that they would do it that way. I have never had a gun store try to pull that on me, but I would use caution in a gun store that tries that. 1st, it is illegal for them to sell a gun without the NICS check, and they know that. 2nd, if you've already bought the gun from them and the NICS check is denied, then it's too late. They've already sold the gun illegally. It doesn't make the transaction any more legal if they buy the gun back from you (at used prices of course).

That's a big red flag for me, if a gun store tries to take my money before running the NICS check. I'm about to start asking questions and raising a stink.

If I would have thoiught there would be problems, I would never have paid for the gun first. From the receipt that I have with the serial numbers of this gun, I have purchased it. Is it true that if they don't have an answer from NICS within 3 business days that he has to transfer the gun ? I am afraid that NICS being a government agency, that my approval request might get thrown under a pile of papers somewhere and forgotten about. I am probably being paranoid but I worked a bunch of overtime for this Christmas gift for myself and I would be really bummed if I got the short end of the stick in this deal. I should probably just take a chill pill and be patient but I am anxious to get this gun.......R

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If I would have thoiught there would be problems, I would never have paid for the gun first. From the receipt that I have with the serial numbers of this gun, I have purchased it. Is it true that if they don't have an answer from NICS within 3 business days that he has to transfer the gun ? I am afraid that NICS being a government agency, that my approval request might get thrown under a pile of papers somewhere and forgotten about. I am probably being paranoid but I worked a bunch of overtime for this Christmas gift for myself and I would be really bummed if I got the short end of the stick in this deal. I should probably just take a chill pill and be patient but I am anxious to get this gun.......R

Yes. If there is no further communication from NICS, they proceed with the transaction. The delay gives the FBI time to verify who you are and that you are a proper person. They have 72 hours to do so. If they find nothing that would prevent you from owning the firearm, they take no further action. If you DO hear from the shop before the 72 hours is up - then you've got a problem.

At least that's how it was explained to me a few moons ago.

Last edited:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Last several long guns I have purchased, I never listed nor gave out my SS number. Hmmmm, SS #, isn't that what one rogue country tattooed on the forearm of concentration camp inmates. Nah, could never happen here!

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Yes. If there is no further communication from NICS, they proceed with the transaction. The delay gives the FBI time to verify who you are and that you are a proper person. They have 72 hours to do so. If they find nothing that would prevent you from owning the firearm, they take no further action. If you DO hear from the shop before the 72 hours is up - then you've got a problem.

At least that's how it was explained to me a few moons ago.

Got a call from the gunshop last night saying that NICS had approved the sale :rockwoot:. Will be going tomorrow to pick it up. Thanks for all of the feedback.........R

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.

That is exactly what I was told by a LEO , that thier practice is shady at best .
    So that was my first and last transaction with H&H , along with thier attitude !

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    :ugh:Any dealer that wants to have you buy from them is going to check first, and in this day and age you would think that you would do the right thing to keep peolpe coming back and spending money in your shop.

Top Bottom