• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    We need details. What exactly are you wanting to buy new. Make model and trim level. If you have a trade what is it year make and model. With that you will have better info. As has been mentioned there is a huge difference from buying the Jeep Wrangler vs the Chevy truck.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As an addendum, I carry a NADA pricing book with me on my clipboard or in my back pocket.
    You can't believe the dealership "tricks."

Once, at Butler Toyota used car lot on 96th St. there was a 3 yr. old Honda Civic up on the "ramps" for display with a special price on it.
    My son and I reasoned that with the 36k miles on it and the price, it would be more logical to buy a new one.

When I looked it up in my NADA price guide for used cars the price on the car at Butler was $7000 higher than High Book in the guide.
    When I went home that evening and was researching and the price online for it was the High Book, not the outrageous price listed on it.

As has been said: the Internet is your friend in getting the fair price.
    I don't mind a dealer making the normal $1000 - $2000 profit, but $5 - $10 profit on a vehicle: buyer beware, but you have to do your research.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Buying low mileage used is a much better value. Carfax a big help these days because you can see that the car has been well maintained with regular oil changes, how many owners, and whether the vehicle had been in a crash. A lot of dealers have relatively new cars around 20-30k miles that were previously leased, which is good because leaseholders tend to be conscientious about maintenance since they get charged for any damage and are contractually obligated to bring it in for regular maintenance. You can also get good value from buying a previous rental car. Places like Enterprise sell their cars after about 20,000 miles, and have a whole department dedicated to repairs and maintenance while it's in service.

The only time I've bought a new car off the lot was from Hyundai, and only because they bundle in a 100,000 mile 10 year warranty which is better than any other car manufacturer. Most manufacturer warranties only go up to the sooner of 5 years or 30,000 miles.

Top Bottom