• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If the tall one falls it will hit an house on the property or the next door house. Yeah I'm screwed, going have to pony up the $$$$$ for the tree cutting ... the wife wins, sellers market.

I'm sure there will be other things you can find during the inspection that he will see as a reasonable request for repairing/replacing. Make sure you hit him on those and don't overlook it. If you are using your VA loan, they may require the trees be removed prior to closing. They are real sticklers on some things.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm sure there will be other things you can find during the inspection that he will see as a reasonable request for repairing/replacing. Make sure you hit him on those and don't overlook it. If you are using your VA loan, they may require the trees be removed prior to closing. They are real sticklers on some things.
    Good point, I am using VA Loan

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Whatever you do, if it's the right house just buy it. Dont ***** over 1 or 2 grand.

Honestly the seller is right.....they are just trees. I don't know specifics and don't want to.

When the right one shows up, you make it happen.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Are there still restrictions on transporting ash from one location to another? I know there were for awhile, due to the emerald ash borer.

I think the horse is out of the barn on that one. I wouldn't worry about it.

This weekend my son and I are taking down the big ash tree that used to shade my front yard. I really hated to loose that tree, but having a woodstove takes a little bit of the sting out. And, it's the first big lot of firewood that I didn't have to haul home.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Ash trees seem to break about half way up after they've been dead about a year. It's the number one wood I've been cutting up and splitting.

i can testify for this. Ive lost about 30 ash trees in the last year. EVERY one breaks about 7 feet up during the next wind storm.

Only plus side is i dont have to travel for fire wood. Downside....i still have about 80 more ash trres iny woods. Most seem to be doing better this year than previous years.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............:nono:

sgt-schultz-i-know-nothing-i-see-nothing-i-hear-nothing.jpg

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    tell the owner to get with there insurance company most will pay to take them down........cheaper than if they hit the house.....

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Yes life is so much better when the spousal unit thinks she is winning.

And yes, they win all the time.....:):

When I got married, we decided that she could make all of the little decisions and I would make all of the big decisions.

So far, there haven't been any big decisions.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    tell the owner to get with there insurance company most will pay to take them down........cheaper than if they hit the house.....

But usually not. Most insurance companies won't do preemptive tree removal. I had three large branches fall on my house and take out my gutters along the back and my deck stairs. I asked the insurance company if they would remove the entire tree. They said no. They would take out what fell and repair my gutters and stairs but that is it.

I have asked others and the general consensus it that the insurance companies aren't too bright when it comes to stuff like that. One look at my trees would have told them it would be less expensive to take them down now vs. having the entire tree fall on my house. But still, most are like the cops. They usually show up after the damage is done.

Then again, it is on us to be responsible and to take the necessary steps to protect our investments. We shouldn't let things go and then think I'll just file a claim when preventable damage is done.

I have heard stories of people waking up to see their home getting flooded due to a broken pipe and they turn off the water and go back to bed to let the insurance company deal with it. When that happened to us, my wife and I were up until 2 in the morning with the shop vac picking up as much water as we could. Insurance adjuster said we saved our floors by doing that. I'd much rather invest 4-5 hours on quick response to a disaster then have to deal with replacing 1000 sq. ft of hardwood. Even if the insurance would pay for it.

Plus, they paid my wife and I for the time we spent cleaning that night.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom