• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I believe the big ones are listed as "diamond rated" dealers. It's been a few years for me. I live in Elwood so the dealer I went with was Hare on my wife's Impala.
    I have for me a good rule is be picky, you are spending a lot of money. Make sure it is the right style, color, interior, engine, transmission, ride, stereo you want. Spending so much money you don't want to get down the road a year or two later and wish you would have added that extra option or went with bigger wheels. Like your doing, take your time and find exactly what you want.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is certified worth the extra money?
    What's the true difference between a Ford and Chevy, other than brand loyalty?

Thanks in advance!
    I can't tell you much about the "certified". How much extra money is it? What does buying "certified" get you? Doesn't the warranty expire at 75K?

A couple years ago I bought a decent '07 F150. Some scratches and dents, tons of cigarette burns, but I got it for around $6K, IIRC. Couldn't be happier and haven't had any problems.

You didn't say is this is a show truck or a work truck. For me, I wanted a truck I wouldn't feel bad if I loaned it out and it came back with small ding. It rides like a truck, it handles like a truck, it's slow, it's thirsty, so why in the world would I put money into it to make it shiny and then never want to use it for what it is?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This. Trucks hold their value. With rebates it's not much spread between new and 45k miles used.

I emailed every dealer in a 250 mile radius and got quotes. Hop on Edmunds and truecar to make sure you get all the rebates you are entitled to (I got $1500 as a USAA member) and an idea of what the truck should sell for. Factor in warranty and slightly better financing on new vs used and it's a pretty good idea to buy new.

This is true. When I was looking for a pickup late last year/early this year, I was finding exactly this (especially when looking at dealerships). Used was very similar to new prices, and you were giving up quite a bit. They have more incentives to do better on pricing of new vehicles (factory hold back, etc). Due to this and the price range I was looking at, I did end up buying used, but from a private owner rather than a dealership. If their used prices are even remotely close to new pricing, I'd go new for the benefits of the warranty, etc.

I'd also tell them after you have negotiated the price completely that you are not paying any additional fees (sales tax is of course one thing, but dealer fees, etc are another). Make sure you are either negotiating out the door pricing including tax, or just tell them at the end when they inevitably try to add the dealer fees that you will walk. They will drop the fees. Again in the latter case, expect to pay sales tax and factor that in, but don't accept any dealer fees of any kind.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I drove a similarly equipped new 2012 off of the lot in Aug 2013 for a little over $26K out the door. While I don't like paying for the depreciation when buying new, I like it more than the thought of buying a truck that someone else ragged out and traded in.

Depending on how long you keep it, it may not matter much. If you're churning every 3-5 years, the depreciation will be more significant especially if you're buying upper end. This isn't as true as it used to be, though, as a slow economy has made more penny pinchers, which has two affects. People keep their cars longer, so fewer nice used cars available, and people are wanting to save money, so a few thousand dollars is more important than it used to be. Supply and demand drive up the cost of the used vehicles, reducing depreciation. Once the economy is strong again, depreciation will be more of an issue if you churn. Regardless, if you keep it 10-12 years depreciation a lot less important, and I'm inclined to believe you have the right of it that knowing the entire maintenance history of the vehicle is well worth it. I keep every receipt, even for gas, so when the time does come to sell the truck I can pass that information on and that should reflect in resale value. Anyway, the difference price wise between a 2000 and a 2002 today would be minimal, assuming same miles, condition, etc. The same will be true of today's trucks in 2025. Generation changes are about the only time a one or two year difference may matter much in resale value if you drive them a long time.

A buddy of mine who was a IT tech for the Navy had to drive all over the country from base to base to tinker with the hardware of the networks. He bought nothing but diesel VW Jettas. He'd drive it until the transmission failed, always the cause of death and usually just a fuzz over 300k miles, and then buy another new one. He was so cheap he'd squeeze two nickels into a quarter and I asked him why he didn't buy used to avoid the depreciation. Being the nerd he was, he'd spreadsheeted it out and determined it was actually cheaper per mile to buy new based on the fact either used or new would be near worthless at the end of its life, the new one wasn't much more expensive, and he figured he had a higher chance of an earlier death if the previous owner hadn't done the scheduled maintenance correctly.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Too much reading...

Simple put. What do you want to spend?

Finding a 10 Ford with 4x4 crew cab with less than 75K will run around the 16 - 20K. Depends on all the bells and whistles you want too. I am on my 3rd F150 and love it. I'd start your search with an F150 STX is a great solid model that will have the 4x4 your wanting. Lariats & King ranch are the big $$$$$.

Good luck. Be curious to what your purchase.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Too much reading...

Simple put. What do you want to spend?

Finding a 10 Ford with 4x4 crew cab with less than 75K will run around the 16 - 20K. Depends on all the bells and whistles you want too. I am on my 3rd F150 and love it. I'd start your search with an F150 STX is a great solid model that will have the 4x4 your wanting. Lariats & King ranch are the big $$$$$.

Good luck. Be curious to what your purchase.

I'll piggyback on the STX comment... If you're not looking for something fancy and just a good, solid truck, the STX is a great economic value. Plus, you can find them with vinyl flooring (easy cleanup) and a manual 4X4 gear shift rather than a switch.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Another thing to think about: If you have a relative that is a GM/Ford/Chrysler employee, s/he might be able to get the employee discount in addition to the incentives going on out there on a new vehicle. A friend of mine bought a new Jeep last year and was able to get the Jeep dealer to get him the employee discount (he's a GM employee and no Chrysler relatives) on his new Jeep.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Depending on how long you keep it, it may not matter much.

You may be right, I'm more concerned with knowing the history than the depreciation. I owned this one more than a year before it was worth less than I owed on it according to NADA, I'm still not upside down by much.

Mine is a no frills Tradesman and it's exactly what I wanted. Rubber floors, vinyl seats, 5.7L Hemi and 4x4. Anything I want that it didn't come with I've either added or plan to add and at a big discount over what I'd have paid for the option provided from the factory.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have a 1992 Nissan thats still going strong, my Dad bought it brand new. A 1999 Chevy Blazer thats has had its share of problems and the 4x4 doesn't work anymore, looks like it needs another front end which its not going to get. I'm saving up for a Nissan 4x4 Frontier then ditching the Chevy. I probably won't be running any more American cars or trucks anymore…..unless I can get another 70's Plymouth Cuda.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have a Ford. Looked at GM trucks and liked the Ford's better (back in 2009 - looking at used only) Ended up getting a 2001 F250 SD with 35,9xx miles on it then. At the rate it is going it will simply rust away before it will give me any issues.

All I know is I wanted something I could throw what ever I wanted in the back of it or tow with it and be good to go. I didn't want leather or anything fancy. Just give me power windows and locks and an 8' bed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have a Ford. Looked at GM trucks and liked the Ford's better (back in 2009 - looking at used only) Ended up getting a 2001 F250 SD with 35,9xx miles on it then. At the rate it is going it will simply rust away before it will give me any issues.

All I know is I wanted something I could throw what ever I wanted in the back of it or tow with it and be good to go. I didn't want leather or anything fancy. Just give me power windows and locks and an 8' bed.

The Ford SD's are much better looking than the 150's IMO. I like them (style-wise) much better than the GM too.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I want a truck. I haven't been able to decide which I like better, 1500 Silverado, or a F150. The Tundras are even growing on me now.

But it doesn't really matter. Trucks are too dern expensive.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I have not gone into debt for the first 10 years of my adult life so I can afford to buy a nice vehicle before I turn 30. I'm sick of driving beaters that I have to constantly wrench on. At this point, it's a luxury I can afford.

Does anyone own a late model f150? I think that's definitely the direction I'm headed. Likes/dislikes?

My dad was talked into an F150 (2012) 4x4, crew cab. It's been nickel and diming him to death, I mean it's always in the shop for something. Now, he is on a farm using the truck as a truck, not as some over-sized grocery getter and I do not claim that all fords suck, but that is his experience.
    At work we now have a Ford after having several Chevys and for me the ergonomics of the Chevy is better. Other than that, I haven't noticed a lot of difference; they both break down a lot under hard use (abuse).

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a 2002 Suburban that looks bad with its clear coat pealing, but the thing has had only one front wheel bearing and water pump go bad in the last 120,000 miles. I keep up with the oil and transmission and it has treated me good.

As as for someone's comment on the new diesels. I have seen problems on all of the big three platforms, but the one with the least amount of problems has been the Duramax offered in GM's. Being a towing operator for 13 years gives you a better eye in which ones have the biggest problems. One plus about any diesel is they will outlast your willingness to own one. Keep them plugged in during the winter months and change the oils as prescribed and you will be able to hand it down to a grandchild some thirty years down the road.

Top Bottom