• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    My two cents, I'd go with the Shield, solid gun, good performer, very reliable. Recommend you stay away from Taurus, they are cheap but not worth it when other more reliable brands can be had for a few dollars more. I am personally not a fan of carrying a 380 as a primary, I have a Glock 42 I use as a back up but would recommend a 9mm as primary for a lot of the reasons many have listed here but also I have found that you really need to practice to get good accuracy out of a 380 (could just be me) and if you are saying you won't shoot much, I'd definitely go with a reliable 9mm.

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    Absolutely pick up the Shield. I would buy 2 at that price and 9mm is cheap. It's such an easy gun to carry as well—hides as well as a jframe in the appendix position.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Just got home from running errands all day.
    2. Stopped by Hoosier Armory in Carmel this am, but they didn't have much in the used $200-$300 semi-automatic.
    3. I did hold the Shield in my hand there, but it was bigger than I thought it would be from the pics.
    4. You got to remember that I compare everything to my Colt .380, which I realize is smaller than any 9, but I want something as close to that as possible.
    5. I want 9mm, the 40 cal. are too big.
    6. I went to Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield off Route 32 (where I bought my .38 SS Undercover 5 shot revolver).
    7. I got to monopolize Chris's (the owner) father's time for over an hour.
    8. We went through everything I had found used the night before online/Facebook. (some had sold)
    9. That's where I learned the .40 is too big: the Ruger SR for $300; Taurus PT 740/$180; Taurus 24/7 Bi-Tone $200 (way too big); Springfield XD .40; others had sold.
    10. This narrowed it down to the 9mm which there was a new $650 Kahr I loved for size and SS, I believe that would be perfect meeting my criteria of a 9mm and small and SS; as small as it gets for a 9mm, but I'm not going to spend that.
    11. I was drawn to the Taurus PT 709 Slim for $180, b/c of price and size; it has a stainless "upper receiver" (if my terminology is correct: the top part of gun) even though it was blackened.
    12. Taurus can be sent back to be corrected, with their lifetime warranty, so I'm not as afraid of them as many here are warning me about them.
    13. The Taurus PT-111 $230 new on sale: too big.
    14. The Shield (too big) for $280 with rebate, new (others say can be bought cheaper).
    15. Then there was the Springfield XDS 9mm, 3.3 barrel, used for $320; felt great in the hand (like all the "bigger" 9mm).
    16. It was in fantastic shape.
    17. Being an extremist: it was either the Taurus PT 709 Slim b/c it met my criteria for $200ish and small or go the other way and skip past the Shield and get the "better" gun: Springfield XDS for $320.
    18. I figure I couldn't go wrong with either one for resale if I wanted something different over time after I "mature" a bit.
    19. I left the store an spent time running errands with my 32 yr. old son who is to marry in 2 day (a real treat) and never gave it another thought.
    20. When I was in the store, I could have bought either gun after narrowing it down to the two, but when I went back to the store before it closed, I wanted to buy the Taurus PT 709 Slim b/c I felt I could always sell it and move up if I wanted.
    21. If the Springfield would have been as small, I might have gotten it.
    22. I bought the Taurus Slim.
    23. Sorry, to all of you who were warning me away from anything Taurus.
    24. I won't even be able to take it to the range until I get back in town from the wedding, maybe Monday pm or Tuesday.

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I'll be the first to say it. You should've saved up for a Glock 43. I suspect you'll continue in your pursuit and you'll upgrade more than once and imho if you ever try a Glock 43 (or even the 42) along the way you will find it fits most of your needs and its of the utmost quality.

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    I read your post a little late , but would have recommended the Taurus Slim 9mm you purchased. I've read reviews on this pistol -Almost all favorable.
    The price is great as well. If you do not care for this pistol you should be able to sell for what you have in it , or very close to it.
    Good Job !

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'll be the first to say it. You should've saved up for a Glock 43. I suspect you'll continue in your pursuit and you'll upgrade more than once and imho if you ever try a Glock 43 (or even the 42) along the way you will find it fits most of your needs and its of the utmost quality.

1. Is it smallish?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I read your post a little late , but would have recommended the Taurus Slim 9mm you purchased. I've read reviews on this pistol -Almost all favorable.
    The price is great as well. If you do not care for this pistol you should be able to sell for what you have in it , or very close to it.
    Good Job !

1. My thoughts exactly!
    2. I almost got to go to the range today, but it will have to wait until Monday, but I have errands.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I don't doubt it, and I'll enjoy the education along the way.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hopefully you don't find out the hard way that the only thing Consistent about Taurus, is their warranty!(you'll most likely use it!)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Very. Too small for me.
    1. Small is good: for me.

The Glock 43 is slightly smaller than a Taurus pt709
    1. This is good news, as a possible future gun for me.

Hopefully you don't find out the hard way that the only thing Consistent about Taurus, is their warranty!(you'll most likely use it!)
    1. Oh, no!
    2. In talking to a gun dealer the other day he said he sends more S/Ws and Glocks back for repairs than Taurus.
    3. Can't wait to see if there is a FTF with the 709 at the range.
    4. As always, I appreciate the continued updates and opinions.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    SHORT VERSION:
    It doesn't matter what pistol you get. It doesn't even matter if the gun feels good in your hand or not.

The only two things that matter are picking a pistol that is reliable (ANY of the popular products from ANY of the major makers is sufficient), and getting some training in real combative shooting. Everything else is fluff.

LONG VERSION:
    You will get a lot of advice, and hear a lot of chatter about picking a gun that "fits your hand" or that "feels comfortable". This is basically a bandaid - the theory behind this gun meme is that you will be 'naturally on target' with a gun that is super ergonomic IE, a shortcut in training (these people think you wont have to shoot as much or as often to 'get good'). All such shortcuts in training as logical fallacies that SEEM good in print media and on the interweb gun forums, but they don't play out in real life. Any instructor worth their salt will have just about anyone shooting sufficiently well with any old pistol. The fundamentals of shooting stay the same, whether you are shooting a Glock for the first time, or a 5'0" female learning to shoot the "HUGE/OVER BULKY" M9 in the military.

End of the day, your Colt Mustang and a refresher course are sufficient for a civilians defensive needs. If you want to update your carry piece, go ahead - it's cheap insurance against the worst case scenario... Just make sure you keep up to date in your combative shooting.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Buy the shield. You cant beat it especially for the price you get one within the next few days. Mine just came in and i have $299 in it total.. Just filled out the $75 rebate. You cant get a junk high point for $225. I have a handful of glocks and i really like my wifes 43 but for less than half of what i paid for the 43 the shield is as good of a gun. Honestly i would stay away from Taurus, Keltec. Ive taken a few classes at a reputable training institute and they said the same thing on here a few guys have. Basically of all the guns that go threw their classes they see way more problems out of Taurus than any others.. Keltecs are in the same boat.. Ive heard other trainers say the same thing.

Top Bottom