• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Try Anthony's Coins it's located on the west side IIRC.

As far as rounds go, I believe that APMEX rounds are fairly highly respected and recognized. Also, APMEX promises to buy back any that you purchase at current spot price if you decide to sell.

I'm glad to read that because all my silver came from apmex.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    How do people know its real? Buy American Eagles. They are legal tender US currency.

How do you use gold when its $1350/oz? They sell 1/10 oz gold American Eagles. You can also get 1oz silver American Eagles. If you want to go with something that isn't US mint, you can buy some stagecoach silver that is a 1oz bar that can be broken up into smaller marked pieces.

Gold and silver aren't going to help you in the middle of a SHTF situation where all people care about is survival... but it sure as heck will help you when things start to recover and the dollar has failed. If society can rebuild itself, it will ALWAYS find something to use as currency. It always has and always will. Gold and silver have always been used as currency, there is a good chance the new currency will be them.

Also, sometimes a SHTF situation does not include the complete collapse of society. Perhaps the SHTF situation is hyper-inflation. Gold and silver are exactly what you want during a period of hyper-inflation. As I said before, after hyper-inflation "corrects itself" (aka: currency dies and is replaced) then that gold and silver will be good to have.

ayerskw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenfield
    Bear with me here for a bit...

If/when SHTF (Monetary wise - not Mad Max Apocalyptic, per se), being in possession of some Junk Silver (Pre-1965 90% Silver US Coins of non-nusmimatic value) or 1oz ingots will serve you well in the case of a need to barter before a new monetary system is officially established and things are brought back under control. Silver has a long history of being a store of value... Junk silver has the lowest purchase premium over spot price, it is widely recognized and has a standardized weight -this all increases the probablity of acceptance. IMO, it is actually better than gold because it is franctionally smaller and more suitable for peer-to-peer life purchases. Conversely, the key down side for silver compared to gold is that $ to $ it takes up a lot more space and is heavy. Establishing a just in case physical posession of some junk silver and a little bit of physcial gold is prudent.

Note: I am not advocating liquidating everything and converting it into a physical precious metals holding, per se...

With that said - Having physical land is important as it gives you a place to go and live, if things break down badly for a while. Additionally, holding paper assets in: 1) natural resources (Oil, Nat Gas, Timber, Land, etc.), 2) Industrials (Railroads, Transports, Infrastructure, etc.) and 3) foreign stocks /currency is also prudent.

If/when SHTF a new monetary system will most likely be established in the U.S. much quicker than people realize (The vast majority of the world needs the U.S. economy to be stable and will actively help us!) Few people will be in a position to invest at this rebuilding point - those that can will profit handsomely!

Everything in moderation: Food, Water, Guns, Land, Precious Metals and Paper Assets (Stocks, Currency, & Toilet Paper)... Thats my view.

By the way, I suggest getting started sooner than later as I subscribe to the school of thought that we may soon no longer have the luxury of having the U.S. Dollar as being the world's reserve currency. Accordngly, we will no longer be able to print our way out of debt. I think this will trigger the SHTF. Hope I'm wrong...

Comments/thoughts anyone?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

+1 and repped!!! ^^^^^^^^^

The idea of buying a precious metal is simple diversity of assets for the future. In a SHTF scenario you want food, water, shelter, weapons, etc.

You also want something that is nigh impossible to become "valueless." Food, guns, ammo will always have some value. So will precious metals. They are far easier for trade and storage than firearms.

While I believe firearms are a good investment it is FAR easier to store 500oz of silver than it is to store 500 rifles!

I invest through my 403B in a mutual fund that does NOT invest in American companies. That way my investment there is not tied to the United States nor our growing debt. I plan to take out an annuity through a nonprofit insurance company. I buy silver so that it is in my personal possession and as an investment for the future.

Any good savings plan requires consistency. Putting away $X every day/week/month forever! This is where I think silver is better than a firearm. I can go buy two (2) troy ounces of silver every month for now about $60. I cannot buy a rifle every month for the same amount.

I think the idea of all preparation is first to prepare for the future with the maximum diversity available to our situation. What if economic collapse never comes??? In this case stocks, bonds, firearms, and precious metals will have maintained or increased in value while food, generators, survival gear will have depreciated. If another great depression hits without total collapse then stocks, and investments may be worth substantially less than their original purchase price or even $0. Firearms may be worth less as well because no one can afford them. Precious metals may be worth less or more but they will not be $0. Prep gear may be worth the same or even more.

So you can see that in any preparation you do not want all eggs in one basket, but rather a diverse portfolio of pistols, rifles, shotguns, ammo, survival gear, land, stocks, bonds, mutual funds and, yes, precious metals!

Regards,

Doug

Bear with me here for a bit

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree with much of the sentiment in this thread about precious metals being the last thing to buy. Personally, I didn't buy any until long after I had plenty of food, water, first aid, medical suplpies, guns and ammo, but precious metals have to be on the list somewhere. I hope we never see the days where we're bartering for egg laying chickens and so on, but I still don't think it's something bad to have laying around the house.

I'm still looking for some kind of stock or mutual fund to invest into precious metals because I want to have my bases covered if we pull through this. I just checked the APMEX website this morning and what i have in stock has gone up in value again. When I look around at the world going crazy I really want to get more invested metals, and not companies.

Unlike a lot of people I talk to about precious metals, I would sell all mine if the price was right. If the silver I have somehow became worth the price of an acre of land or two then I'd surely sell it and buy the land.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The other thing to consider is that any new currency can be earned once it is established, be it gold, silver, or wombats.

You might not be able to buy anything initially (hopefully your preps will cover you), but you can earn currency and begin to save it so you can make purchases once your preps are depleted.

RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    If I recall correctly don't nickels fit into a 12 gauge shell, or am I thinking of dimes?! :dunno:

Dimes.

The Box O' Truth #35 - A Load of Dimes Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

My buddy used to call it the ten dollar shot. Not because it can fit $10 worth of dimes in it but because he would trade it for $10 worth of 00 buck. Supposedly, he shot it at some paper out of an 18" barrel from about 7 feet and the pattern was pretty uniform over almost 2 feet. The funny thing is all the holes were the thin profile of the dime. I'm pretty sure that you could decapitate somebody w/ those things.

ayerskw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenfield
    I agree with much of the sentiment in this thread about precious metals being the last thing to buy. Personally, I didn't buy any until long after I had plenty of food, water, first aid, medical suplpies, guns and ammo, but precious metals have to be on the list somewhere. I hope we never see the days where we're bartering for egg laying chickens and so on, but I still don't think it's something bad to have laying around the house.

I'm still looking for some kind of stock or mutual fund to invest into precious metals because I want to have my bases covered if we pull through this. I just checked the APMEX website this morning and what i have in stock has gone up in value again. When I look around at the world going crazy I really want to get more invested metals, and not companies.

Unlike a lot of people I talk to about precious metals, I would sell all mine if the price was right. If the silver I have somehow became worth the price of an acre of land or two then I'd surely sell it and buy the land.

Check out Silver Wheaton (SLW) & Royal Gold (RGLD). They both have a compelling business model that will give you exposure to precious metals. You will need to do your own due diligence but I believe they are discounted to their fair market value at this time relative to the price of Silver and Gold. However, both Silver and Gold have enjoyed a significant run (especially in the the past 3-6 months) and a correction may be due soon. I am not an advocate of market timing, however, it may be prudent to wait and buy after a 10 -15% correction. Then make a purchase for a long time hold. Note: I just sold my positons after approx 18 months due to the high commodity prices and am waiting to repurchase after a correction. Net: I am eating my own cooking, so to speak...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I know what you're saying about waiting for a correction. I'm not intending to time but the market, but with what's happening in the world and all the uncertaintly I don't see the prices dropping anytime soon. I completely agree and I think the bubble will pop soon, and maybe by the time I get done researching whoever to invest in the time will magically be right.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Don't kid yourself. there is not going to be a bubble anytime soon. we haven't seen anything yet. I know I am a knobody. but food,fuel,and precious metals are all going to rise significantly in the foreseable future. Global unrest,our own financial situation,unemployment,government handouts,printing money like it is monopoly money,welfare,social security,government run healthcare...Gold and silver will not have a bubble for years to come.They are about the only thing that is certain at this point. everything else we will have to see play out. and they are alot less stable. just my own opinion,and you know what they say about that.:)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Don't kid yourself. there is not going to be a bubble anytime soon. we haven't seen anything yet.

I'm not saying I disagree with you at all but when I first read that I wondered just wonder how many family nest eggs and small furtunes have been lost to advice that sounds just like that. In either case, I'm getting into the metals.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I think, as with any investment strategy, diversity is the key. We should be prepping for any and all scenarios - whether SHTF now or whether the SHTF when our kids are taking care of us.

Plan for the near term now, with food and guns, etc. If you get that done, there is nothing wrong with buying some PM. The pharaohs wouldn't have recognized your greenbacks, but they would have appreciated your silver and gold.

As to the latter, silver is obviously beneficial for trading for a gun, food, or day to day items. But, if you want to walk across three states with your fortune on the back, gold is the way to go. (And many European families escaped Nazi occupation and restarted life in America by carrying their relatively small collection of gold a couple of thousand miles.)

Prioritize and maximize the resources you have now, in preparation for what you may need later.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I'm not saying I disagree with you at all but when I first read that I wondered just wonder how many family nest eggs and small furtunes have been lost to advice that sounds just like that. In either case, I'm getting into the metals.

If people don't borrow to buy it, or buy so much that they can't pay their bills (we saw people doing both in real estate), they should be ok. Unlike stocks or bonds, no piece of gold or silver has ever become absolutely worthless.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I like Silver myself and have been saving since the last run up, the 80's. I didn't sell then when Silver was $50 an ounce.

Folks the ratio of Silver to Gold historically is 17-1. Right now Silver is undervalued by that logic, but I think Gold is overvalued.

Now here is the best part, the supplies of Silver are going down, it is an industrial metal and will always be in demand. The demand for the metal will soon outstrip supply EVEN IF a SHTF never happens.

The Problem with that logic is its $35 and I think that is high. Its all a gamble. If you think the dollar is doomed, then by all means metals will save your investment.

Doom and Gloom, which I believe btw, think what happened in Late 2008 when the world economy collapsed. EVERYONE wanted US DOLLARS. Brentenwood has served a purpose.

Are we in debt up to our arse? Not yet, we are just now getting to the dangerous 100% GDP numbers and I think they are fudged. Japan is over 200% in Debt now, remember the worries in the 1980's?

Who own our debt? Of the 14 trillion, only a 1/3 MAX is owned to foreigners. The rest we owe ourselves. And one little calculation that you don't hear about is just what assets does the United States own overseas? I wish I knew but I bet it is nothing to sneeze at either.

That being said, I do believe the odds are good that the dollar is going to be devalued. Therefore, I do think metals are good to have, but I think the prices are high, but not yet high enough if you have none. Even small amounts.

Imagine, your neighbor has a farm, he has something you would like to purchase, he needs something to trade with someone else, therefore if you give him silver, he can use that to barter with someone else.

Metals, Ammo, Guns, Food will always work.

Top Bottom