• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'm gonna stick to buying my hazardous components in person, fees are for suckers.

Buy more than 1 lb of powder or 1k primers at a time and those "sucker fees" will be better than paying those marked up prices. I now have enough powder (28 lbs) and primers (22k) to last me over a year and I paid significantly less than I would have in person, even after the fees.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Buy more than 1 lb of powder or 1k primers at a time and those "sucker fees" will be better than paying those marked up prices. I now have enough powder (28 lbs) and primers (22k) to last me over a year and I paid significantly less than I would have in person, even after the fees.

Sure, but if you've got that much money to invest in reloading at one time, then a $27 fee becomes becomes a minor inconvenience.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    I will shop around at the LGS's to try to keep the money local. Granted, I have the major convenience of a company truck and fuel card (temporary...sadly). With fuel a non issue, I will continue to do so. There is a moderately priced LGS about 10 minutes from my place, however there is a little shop on the outskirts of Wabash that has better prices. They have a guy that started his own casting business who comes in once per week and stocks the basic caliber and weight bullets. I'm going to pick up a box of 500 this weekend and give them a shot. They are 42.50 for 500 RN 230gr .45's. I asked the fellow that runs the place about them - and the guy making them. His story is that he got the alloy information from Hornday and uses bar stock to make them. No melted down WW's, etc. So, 85 bucks per 1000 plus a little tax is worth trying them out. I will let you guys know how they run if anyone is interested...

So far, I have been able to find what i need at reasonable prices to keep buying from the LGS. I hope I can continue to do so.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I try to give my local gunstore business also but after a few times I feel like I am getting bent over.
    I went to a Ft Wayne store and laughed when I saw a pound of powder that they wanted $5 more than Gander Mountain!!! Anyone here paid the recent going price of $34/K with a smile on their face? I even tried to buy some more pulled .224 bullets from RMR and his price is now up to $105/K.
    B#LLSH!t I say!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    100 pulled .308 bullets ran me 17 bucks.. i about had a coronary. let alone the 39.99 pricer per thousand primers no matter the brand.. highway robbery i tell ya.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Sure, but if you've got that much money to invest in reloading at one time, then a $27 fee becomes becomes a minor inconvenience.
    You are correct. I save up and buy twice a year online. My average order is around a thousand dollars. Those high prices at local shops are for "suckers", and the inventory is hit and miss. JMO

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Perhaps the best of both worlds is when Graf's or Midsouth will waive the hazmat fee if you order "X" amount of primers and/or powders. A good friend and I ordered 10K primers, along with around 10# of powder, avoiding the hazmat fee AND getting a good price on the components. My half of that order lasted the better part of a year.

Still, I want to keep LGS's in business, so I try to support them. I just wish they carried something other than the most common items for 308, 223, 45, etc. Maybe I need to just accept that they won't be meeting my needs and plan ahead with larger online orders, like the one I just placed. :abused:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On the LGS stuff...............call ahead to see if they have what you want. Saves fuel.
    Or just wing it and enjoy the road trip :)
    In the old days my hunting bud and I would on a lark, just drive up and hit 2 or 3 shops in a day.
    Yeah, maybe we'd strike out on finding what we wanted.
    Sometimes we discovered stuff that we hadn't thought about but just had to have.
    Great fun!

I wish Lengel's was still open. They had a wide range of stuff and were the shop to visit back in the day.
    Smaller shops unfortunately seem to be (no pun intended) more of a hit or miss.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Personally I prefer to keep 99% of my business local. Sure sometimes I may have to wait a little while longer or pay a little more, but in the end they make a buck and hopefully get to stay in business. The few things I do purchase online they just can't get. The way I see if I spend local they can stay local, and if more people did that it's possible more shops would carry a wider selection.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Personally I prefer to keep 99% of my business local. Sure sometimes I may have to wait a little while longer or pay a little more, but in the end they make a buck and hopefully get to stay in business. The few things I do purchase online they just can't get. The way I see if I spend local they can stay local, and if more people did that it's possible more shops would carry a wider selection.

If it's a matter of a few cents, the LGS gets my money over Cabela's/Walmart every time. But if we're talking $50 on a $200 purchase, I'm going with whomever keeps more money in my pocket. I'm sympathetic to small business owners, but in order for a local shop to be a viable option, they must be competitive.

Savings isn't the ONLY reason I got into reloading, but it's definitely in the top 3..

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My local LGS wants $38.95 for a box of 380acp Rn. Really? No thanks!

Exactly the reason some just need to disappear!
    I wish everyone would take this "keep it local" BS in mind when they whine, **** and moan about health care costs. If everyone is entitled to make a buck, the nurses that save your bacon when you are in the hospital should be included! (Not really, but I often think about if you had to pay more for a competant healthcare provider, would you?)

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    LGS when I can. Ours has a good stock, 90% of the time. The only exception is primers.
    I can save tons by going in with others and the ones I buy, Wolf, are usually lots cheaper than any others.....

I did buy some new Nosler bullets the other day from Midway, they were the only ones that had them. .358", 200gr Noslers. I asked our local pusher to put them on the shelf, he said that he couldn't even get them yet! I bought 100 and now he found some. 100 of these things will last me a lifetime!

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Disagree if you want, but I have a feeling the prices on all material will start to climb the closer we get to the election...

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's probable.

I'm hopeful that folks won't go on huge spending sprees in the coming months, depleting the supply and raising the demand (and prices). :(

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    from my calculations in order for me to save money on powder online i need to buy at least an 8 pound jug and for primers its at least 12k.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    from my calculations in order for me to save money on powder online i need to buy at least an 8 pound jug and for primers its at least 12k.

So, a 3-week supply? Seems worth it to me. :D

Just kidding with ya...I buy my "hazardous" materials in person, unless I can get the hazmat fee waived by purchasing in bulk.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i buy local when i can ....and that normally ends up being hazmat supplies. but as far as bullets and such i just cant find anyone who carries what i want for close to the price. I figure if they can be within a few dollars i will pay the extra for a LGS to stay in business. But if they are almost double (like one of my LGS is on primers) then forget it. I dont need so bad that im willing to pay that much.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Exactly the reason some just need to disappear!
    I wish everyone would take this "keep it local" BS in mind when they whine, **** and moan about health care costs. If everyone is entitled to make a buck, the nurses that save your bacon when you are in the hospital should be included! (Not really, but I often think about if you had to pay more for a competant healthcare provider, would you?)

A buddy and I stopped by Gander Mountain in Fishers on the way back from a business meeting in SW Indy. Hoping to fondle an XDs. Mind you, I realize it's a "big box" store.

But seriously. Their ammo prices are so inflated it's ridiculous. 79.99 for a box of 100 WWB .45? More than twice Walmart's price...

I just don't understand. Is it the uneducated masses that keep their ammo sales going? I understand Fishers\Carmel is sort of ritzy but wow....

Top Bottom