• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    I was at an auction recently in Valpo, IN. There was over 50 guns there from IN. The auctioneer said they all had to go through a dealer whether they were long guns, shotguns or pistols. It is my understanding that as long as the seller and buyer are from IN. that it is not necessary to do a dealer transfer. I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me what the law is regarding this situation. Thanks.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've purchased 2 long guns at auction and both times it was required by the auctioneer as a condition of purchase. It serves two purposes, covers their ass and makes their buddies gun shop some extra coin. Just don't forget to figure in buyers premium and transfer fees into your total cost or your great deal may just be an ordinary deal.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It could have been a stipulation the seller requested. Or maybe the Auctioneer won't put firearms on the block without them being Transfered to the buy via FFL Dealer. :dunno:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    since someone is making a living off a firearm sale, it has to go through an FFL. The auctioneer is taking a cut for his living, so it has to have a 4473 attached to appease the ATF goons :)

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Been to 3 auctions with a large no. Of guns in my life, and every time the crowd goes crazy and starts paying $450 for a used mossy 500 or $200 for beat up 22 stevens single shot and I walk away shaking my head.

No more gun auctions for me thanks.

that is unless I'm the one selling:):

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Been to 3 auctions with a large no. Of guns in my life, and every time the crowd goes crazy and starts paying $450 for a used mossy 500 or $200 for beat up 22 stevens single shot and I walk away shaking my head.

No more gun auctions for me thanks.

that is unless I'm the one selling:):

Christe's in Southport has a gun auction every few mouths and there are some decent deals there. The later the auction goes the cheaper things get. Crate of Mosins all in great shape with sequential serial numbers went for $2000. They do a 4473 on all sales.

FKIM01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    United States
    Earlier this year, I went to an estate auction and the auctioneer announced that it was considered a "casual sale". All checks were written to the deceased sister/beneficiary and I bought three guns. Paid plenty for two of them, but bought a very nice H&R 10 gauge for $200. it looked like it hadn't been shot more than 2-3 times. Paid high-end Gunbroker for a Ruger single six and a Mark II government target model, but the paranoid part of me thought the no paperwork premium was reasonable. Obviously, not all auctioneers are requiring paperwork and apparently it's justifiable. There were law enforcement types at the auction and none of them had a problem with it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    legally the only way you can auction a firearm off and not go through an FFL is if they are part of an estate that is auctioned AT the estate, where you purchase them directly from the owners. If you transport them to an auction house, gotta go through an FFL.

FKIM01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    United States
    Interesting. In this case, the estate rented the local 4-H building, which would appear to stretch the rule as you quoted it. I'm no lawyer...just telling how I purchased at an auction without paperwork. This particular auctioneer has done this several times over the years, but I'll grant that the sales are usually at the estate home if there is sufficient room.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Auctions see m to be a great place to buy accessories,scopes,slings,parts etc.,but firearms always seem to bring a premium.What some people don't realize is is the commision paid to the auctioneer.They will want 400.00 for a gun because they seen one just like it sell at auction for that price,not realizing that the auction got 30%,meaning the gun seller only got 280.00 of the 400.00 selling price.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I was told once that it all depends upon the source of the guns in the auction. If all of the guns come from the same estate, then technically the auction house is not the seller and is merely performing a service for the estate thus no paperwork is required. If, however, there is even a single gun from another source in the auction then it is no longer a person to person sale and a dealer is required.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am not sure of the laws regarding Auctioneers & firearms, but in my experience I have never seen ANY firearms sold at an auction where several guns were advertized for sale being sold at a reasonable price. After figuring in the transfer fees, auctioneers cut and travel cost, all firearms have sold for quite a bit more than you could buy them either new or used at local Gun Shops. Having attended many auctions - I used to go to auctions at least once or twice a month - I just don't attend any expecting to bid on firearms.

The only time I have seen any sold at reasonable or low prices is where an Estate Auction was held and only 1 or 2 (non-collectable type) firearms were sold or the firearms were not specifically listed. Apparently these don't draw enough people interested in guns to affect the bidding. In many cases I have seen guns go for TWICE the selling price for the same type and condition the firearm is routinely going for at local shops. A few years ago I saw common (Sears / Western Auto etc.) single shot shotguns in poor condition, go for more than $100 when the selling price at shops was $50 or less. People bidding seem to be completely uneducated about the actual value and have bidding frenzy's.

FKIM01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    United States
    I'd agree with that assessment. The only gun I thought went reasonable, went that way because it was a low-demand gun...a big H&R 10-gauge with nice blueing and a walnut stock and I bought it for $200. I'll bet the thing has still not been shot 10 times. The early '70's vintage Ruger single six with three cylinders went for $550 and the Ruger Mark II Government target model went for $600. Since they were a friend's guns, I didn't mind paying extra. I saw a Belgian Browning .22 go for over $2,000 and everyone around me indicated hat this was at least twice what it should have brought.

Auctions are interesting, but when guns are involved, it often turns into a feeding frenzy.

jasonville43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Jasonville, Indiana
    Went to several auctions this year and last and really wanted to hit some of the idiots that were paying WAY to much for the firearms offered!! We went to these auctions looking for other items but figured we would hang and see what kinda money the guns would bring! I can understand spending some $$$ if we are talking about some older guns that have value to collecters but at the auctions I went to there were no such guns, just average grade shotguns and rifles and average grade was a stretch on most!! I guess we better hope these idiots don't start going to our local shops and start offering twice the asking price!!!

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Thanks to all who responded. I got my question answered. The two dealers they were using weren't charging outrageous prices for the transfers or anything but I just wondered. There is another one coming up at the same place in Valpo in Nov. sometime, supposed to have over 200 guns, some unfired. Should be interesting.

Top Bottom