• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I did some searching but didn't find a real answer.

Can I, being in Indiana, travel to TX, buy a pistol, and bring it back with me on a plane.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No . . . for now.

Texas FFL contacts your Hoosier FFL, FFL sent, Fedex delivers from Fort Worth to Fort Wayne, you fill out 4473, do NICS, take pistol home and then put photo on INGO.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yes. You can purchase it there but must receive it from an FFL in your resident state.

This is correct, let me expand.
    You can pay for it at the store, but then they'll ship it to IN. You will not be able to pay and carry it out (in your example)

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like I would also have to pay shipping and an Indiana FFL fee which is around $40. So if I did it would likely end up costing me close to $80 just to get it into my possession.

Is that true/about right?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If you buy the gun from a gun store in Texas, I would not expect the transfer fee to be too bad, but if you transfer it through a Texas FFL from who you did NOT buy the gun, I would expect to pay $40 or more. This is based on my experience in receiving handguns from out of state, where the receiving FFL/gun store was not making any money off the gun itself. All the established stores seemed to regard accepting a transfer as a nuisance and wanted to be paid accordingly.

Now, I did find a couple places that would do it for $20, they were not typical brick-and-mortar gun shops, they were FFLs working out of their houses or rented office space, usually one-man shows, happy for any business.

So, if you are going to buy from a store in Texas, you are probably OK on the transfer fee (might call ahead and check), but if you have plans to buy one from a friend and ship it through a local FFL, have the friend shop around a bit. Gunbroker lets you shop for an FFL by zip code, and that's how I found the one I used (Wetmore Shooting in San Antonio).

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Whatever Texas has, ZX guns should also have and at a great price. They usually have it all.
    Unless it's super special.

What are you after?

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a Ruger SR9C, or Walther P99/PPQ.

I am really just kinda trying to keep an eye out and see what I can find. The only reason Im thinking Texas is because I have a trip coming up and last time I was down the local gun shops had some pretty sweet deals.

Top Bottom