• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlm262

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    indianapolis
    i just got my first bike too a 2002 buell blast and i am learning, idk if you already know how to ride but im taking abate class. be safe!

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Now your saying this is the first bike you will own, so hopefully that means you have driven a motorcycle before because an 800 is pretty big for a beginners bike. Also if your not licensed you will have to take a test and the bigger the bike the harder it is for some of there required manuvers.

Meh...my first bike was 1800 cc's.

...and I passed the test with flying colors.

Just call me Hardcore...Johnny Hardcore. :cool:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My bike

picture.php

Wife's bike

picture.php

picture.php

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Abate instructors now issue the riding test.....very easy to deal with and they are very helpful. And yes the cone slalom is tight butit is just a percentage of the total grade/test. Enjoy be safe and remember ALL other drivers are trying to kill you.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Take the ABATE course.
    An 800 is NOT too big for your first bike if you just start out slow, don't try to be a hero, and ALWAYS wear a helmet and protective riding gear.

Don't take any passengers until you gain more experience no matter how much they beg you.
    Always ride like you're INVISIBLE to everybody else on the road, and NEVER assume anybody sees you.

My first bike was a 1984 Honda V65 Magna (1100 cc 116hp) that I bought from a guy who had just come out of the Navy and offered it to me in 1990 for $2000 with only 4k miles on it.
    This bike had one of the highest death rates on the road due to it's power and style of bike.
    But I just took it EASY until I gained experience.
    Before this bike all I'd ever ridden was a friend's 125cc a couple of times and a Honda 350 once.

I now ride a 2008 Yamaha FJR1300 performance touring bike.
    I bought it because it has good handling but I don't have to be "hunched over" to ride it, and is more forgiving handlingwise than a typical traditional V-Twin and is as fast as I'd ever want.
    It also has all the "must haves" that I want in a bike.
    Water cooled, 4 cylinder, double overhead cam, fuel injected, shaft drive, longer major maintenance intervals, reasonably easy to do basic servicing myself.
    It's my second bike, I've NEVER regretted choosing it, but I just make sure to know my limits on my abilities.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My "starter bike" was an FZR 600. Sadly it didn't last. Went to do a tune-up and found that a plug was seized, gotta love the shop that did the previous work that didn't put anti-seize on the plugs. Thinking about picking up a Shovelhead or a newer Sportster in the next year or two. Sport bike position = no fun for my back anymore.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Good to see OP that you have riden motorcycles before.I'd hate to see a fellow rider get hurt. We need to get an INGO group together and do some trips. Be cool if we had matching jackets with INGO logo..:ingo:

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    WELL.......I took the permit test today.....

and ACED it :D It was actually a little harder than I thought it would be:n00b:

Rode the bike around a few miles this morning, and had a blast. I don't think there is much of a better feeling in the world.

Audie, I agree that we should get a group together and go on a ride sometime soon. If you figure out when and where, count me in :yesway:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    WELL.......I took the permit test today.....

and ACED it :D It was actually a little harder than I thought it would be:n00b:

Rode the bike around a few miles this morning, and had a blast. I don't think there is much of a better feeling in the world.

Audie, I agree that we should get a group together and go on a ride sometime soon. If you figure out when and where, count me in :yesway:

Sweet, good job man.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Best bit of advice I was ever told when I started riding that I still follow to this day:
    If a car is at a stop sign or stoplight that you are approaching, watch the tires/ rims for any movement ( peripheral vision). This has saved me three times in my life so far.

frogman342

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    Congrats on the bike and passing your test. I can't wait to get my bike out of the garage and ready for the summer riding.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Did a lot of riding yesterday, and I've learned my first lesson on riding a motorcyle...................wear sunscreen :n00b: haha

My face and arms are fried. But it was well worth it :D

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My first bike was a 1981 Honda CM400 (no, not the automatic).

Picture001.jpg

It was a great bike to start out on. Even had a guy offer to pay for my skills test if I let him use it for his test. He didn't think he could do the cones on his Road King.

I sold that one a couple years ago, but kept my motorcycle endorsement on my license because I really wanted another one. Just picked up a 1987 Goldwing GL1200I a couple weeks ago.

SDC12058.jpg

Planning on taking my first "road trip" on it this summer out to Maine. It handles surprisingly good for a dresser. Diamond seat is pretty comfortable too. I'm glad I learned on a smaller bike though. I couldn't imagine starting out with this beast.

Top Bottom