Buying new kitchen counter tops. Any INGOers in the biz?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Is it hard to cut the miter perfectly? The stock tops I see at Lowes could get me what I need for like $150 but I would have to make the sink and miter cuts myself. The quote for Custom was $450 and that was with "B" series laminate and no installation. I have no problem doing the work, I just want to do it cost-effectively.
    It's a pretty difficult task to do with out the proper tools. We use a free standing miter saw with a 16" blade to cut ours, so it's pretty simple. I would imagine using a circular saw would result in pretty much a disaster. Then you would have to route out the the spaces for the miter bolts that cinch together the miter durring assembly. Sink C/O wouldn't be a problem it's pretty DIY friendly.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Just a word of wisdom here, make sure you wait to measure till after you install the cabinets. Then measure again lol especially for your sink C/O. It's no fun spending hard earned money then having to spend it again when the sink is off. We see this multiple times every day.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Good call. I planned on doing the cabinets first already but that makes even more sense. Lowe's said its a three week turnaround on the order so I suppose I can tolerate the old tops on the new cabinets for a while.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yeah the extra 2 mils is a big dif in longevity of the top, and if you get any of the fancier edge profiles the laminate postforms and adheres considerably better.

Steve is telling you correct information.
    Horizontal Grade is generally in the .05 mil range depending on manufacturer
    Vertical Grade is 40% thinner than standard grade coming in at .030 mil

Vertical grade is not as durable and has less wearability. It will also telegraph imperfections in the wood.

The company I work for Was the sole owner of Wilsonart but sold 51% of the company.

I have been in the business for 26 years

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Since we're talking countertops.. mom is in the market for new countertops in her kitchen. She went to Lowes to look at granite and I think she's changed her mind to quartz. Good? Bad?

And she wants the same material on the backsplash all the way up to the cabinet, instead of small glass tiles like she was thinking of before. I've never seen that look before, but in my mind's eye it doesn't sound too hot.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Since we're talking countertops.. mom is in the market for new countertops in her kitchen. She went to Lowes to look at granite and I think she's changed her mind to quartz. Good? Bad?

And she wants the same material on the backsplash all the way up to the cabinet, instead of small glass tiles like she was thinking of before. I've never seen that look before, but in my mind's eye it doesn't sound too hot.

It's dang near apples vs apples. I like quartz, maybe more than granite. It doesn't need to be sealed which (in my mind) is a huge plus.

I've seen the granite backsplash done before. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    This is a very interesting thread. Thanks for starting it OP. We're looking for a good price on stone countertops. Does anyone here know of any good prices on those?

thanks
    Jason

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I got mine from menards, installed them myself. I am very very happy with them. Sink is a granite sink from lowes. Lowes and home depot use the same sink cutout, menards is a bit larger, so when ordering make sure you pick the right cut out. Even though my countertops are from menards they have the cutout to fit a sink from home depot.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I also have a granite sink. I bought the sink like three or four years ago knowing that a remodel was coming and I got it cheap from a mom and pop place that was closing it's doors. I'm excited about fitting it into the plan finally!

I just stopped by Lowes to pick up a doorstop to replace a broken one. They had a few backsplash tile mosaics on clearance and one just happened to be the exact one I have been eyeballing for my new kitchen. Regular price-$12.99 each. Clearance price-$3.98! I'd say that was a score!!! :rockwoot:

nsolimini

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ellettsville
    I am about to order the countertops too, but I am going solid surface. Glad to know Lowes (which seemed like the best choice) is a good choice for me to go with. I was told that the price they quote me will inculde install and cut outs. for my sink.

Top Bottom