• ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I dont know which is worse buying tires or going to the dentist. :xmad: Just kidding...

Every time, it takes time to do a little review research. Then I cringe at the prices.

At least the good thing is its over and my car rides smooth and sounds quiet on the road.

If anyone is interested, Discount Tire is having some type of rebate/discount today and over the weekend maybe.

I completed my painful afternoon yesterday and missed the discount promo.

:ingo:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I just bought new take-offs for my truck and save about 40% over buying at a local tire store. Granted, with pickups, it's easy to find people willing to ditch perfectly good tires to get "the look". I bought from a place called bestusedtires.com and had them shipped to my home and had them installed at a local tire store. Goodyear Wranglers with the mold lines still across the tread. Same tires retail for about $179 each, I bought for $100.

I also had to get new TPMS sensors which retail for about $25-30 each (was going to keep looking at the "service tire monitor" error message until I needed new tires...took almost 2 years). and I found them for $76 for the set on eBay. The tire store charged me $20 per wheel to change out the tires, dispose of the old ones and install the sensors.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Not sure I'd be promoting a sale for Discount Tire if they let me purchase a set of tires the day before they went on sale and didn't give me a heads up.

Tire Rack is our go to for tires, last fall we took one of the kids cars over for a new set knowing the total cost prior and also knowing one of his Hyundai factory alloy wheels was dented. Tire Rack called to tell us it was too bad to seat the new tire on, but as solution they'd give us a NOS blemished alloy wheel no charge to hold us over until we could find the matching factory wheel, that's service worth recommending in my book.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Not sure I'd be promoting a sale for Discount Tire if they let me purchase a set of tires the day before they went on sale and didn't give me a heads up.

Tire Rack is our go to for tires, last fall we took one of the kids cars over for a new set knowing the total cost prior and also knowing one of his Hyundai factory alloy wheels was dented. Tire Rack called to tell us it was too bad to seat the new tire on, but as solution they'd give us a NOS blemished alloy wheel no charge to hold us over until we could find the matching factory wheel, that's service worth recommending in my book.

I was a dum-arse and did the purchase/appointment on-line without finding the sale flyer. They weren't going to mention it either. The on-line appointment system was full for today and yesterday had openings. I thought it was just due to a holiday weekend coming up. I asked them when I was checking out why Friday was full and they said because we are having a sale. It might be a groupon thing or something. I don't do social media so I'm not sure...

My idiot moment. But if INGO'ers can save its all good.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Tire prices are always a huge shock. Seems as if they go up insanely over a few years.

I subscribed to The Tire Barn e-mail after the last shock. If one can plan enough in advance, it's worth waiting for the next discount/promo.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I need to find an used tire machine and balancer then I can just have them shipped to my house.

Someone in my neighborhood has this figured out. Dunno if they are changing them themselves or taking to a shop? I have seen four tires in the back of the UPS truck when the driver is hunting for my stuff.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I bought new tires last winter. I shopped around, and found that Bill Estes Ford had the lowest price. And I called several places.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone will ship tires to your house. Mine came via FedEx, then a small fee to the local tire shop.

Can you define "small fee?"

This is getting more and more interesting. Especially if you can buy from an online tire company that is not required to charge IN sales tax.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Big O in Plainfield. Good people. Made the mistake a couple sets of tires ago and took it to the cheapest on the block. They would bleed off pressure quickly. Took it back they wouldn't fix it. Said it was fine. Took it to Big O they broke down all tires and cleaned the bead areas on the rims. Fixed it and they didn't charge me a cent. Ever time I go there the customer service is great.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm more picky on what shop I use too. I only use a shop that has experience in over sized tires. Bill Estes Ford just happens to be cheaper and they know how to properly balance over sized tires.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can you define "small fee?"

This is getting more and more interesting. Especially if you can buy from an online tire company that is not required to charge IN sales tax.

I paid $20 per tire, but that also included the installation of TPMS sensors and disposal of the old tires.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Understood, but what are we talking? $50-$100?
    Are shops happy to do this? Or is it a pain w/o built in tire sale profit? Thus less than stellar work?

As with gun shops doing transfers... Some places are happy to take your money, others want more money for the privilege of having home-shippers as customers.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    We use discount tire as well. We appreciate the free rotate and balance, and we get the replacement certificates. They don`t prorate them, so it`s a good deal. Just put new B.F. Goodrich all-terrains on the Tacoma not long ago.

Top Bottom