• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    If you are buying in bulk (500 rounds+) it's easy and cost effective to shop on-line. There are several good sites. I personally like ammoman.com. The shipping is included in the price so you see what you're going to pay. And I don't have to carry it any farther than my front porch!

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    I mean bulk seems to be the way to go if you’re shooting a lot right? Is there a brand you recommend over others or is it more personal taste?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, online is the best for buying in bulk. You can come close to the same price buying 50 round boxes of Perfecta 115gr 9mm or 100 round value packs of Federal Champion (?) 115gr 9mm at Walmart if you prefer to buy just a few boxes at a time. There is a cost savings if you buy a case at a time online. For example, I want to say the cost of the Federal 100 packs are ~$19.60, which with tax included would be ~$210 for a case. I can easily find a case of 9mm ammo for $180 - $190 shipped online, sometimes less. I can find Blazer Brass, S&B, Geco and other great brands at that price point at TargetSportsUSA. If you shoot a lot, it makes sense to buy online in bulk. TargetSportsUSA even has a Prime Ammo membership that is similar to Amazon Prime. You pay an annual membership fee ($95 I believe) and you not only get ~8% off every order, but every order ships free, even if you only buy a single box of ammo. Over time, you should easily be able to recoup the annual fee and even save money beyond that. I'm trying it this year to see how much of a difference it makes for me.

I may be wrong on the price of that Federal 100 pack. If it's less and the price per case is closer to $190, it might be less about saving money as it is saving time. For me, I prefer to order online and have the UPS or FedEx guy deliver it to my front door, than to go to the store, wait for the guy with the key to the ammo case at Walmart, if I'm lucky enough that they have the ammo I want in stock. Even if ammo is on sale somewhere like Cabela's or Rural King, you still have to deal with the hassle of getting the ammo and standing in line to pay. Buying ammo online to me is similar to why I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, convenience.

Last edited:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I do buy most my 9 mm on line go get most of it from sg ammo and target sports they are always close to each other. One offers free shipping on 1000 rounds the other is little lower price but with shipping they are within 1.00 of each other.
    As far as with kind mostly S&B or PMC. Did get several cases of American Eagle with there rebate. Other pistol caliber that I don’t shoot much it get from local gun store since I do a lot of fingering there guns.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Go to:

https://www.wikiarms.com/

And let them do the searching for you.

It is pretty awesome, you

1. Select a caliber
    2. At the top of the page, you can select or deselect brass, steel, reloads, etc.
    3. It shows you a list of all the current prices around the internet. They are sorted by cost per round.
    4. Click on a deal, and it takes you the website of the seller.

I used to use it all the time, but I don't buy much factory ammo any more (roll my own for the most part). You will find dealers that you like and can focus on them.

I HIGHLY recommend them. It makes the price shopping a heck of a lot easier.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    PMC
    Prvi Partisan (PPU)
    Mag-Tec
    Tula
    Wolf
    Aquila
    There are almost too many to choose from...
    www.luckygunner.com is another place to find bulk pricing.
    They are generally not the cheapest, but they advertise that if it is listed, it is in stock.
    I hate completing a purchase only to find it back-ordered.
    Tell me that BEFORE I order!

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Since you are up here and close to Cabela's (Bass Pro too, but they are more proud of their ammo), I'd recommend getting their Cabela's Club Visa where they additionally send Club offers and discounts. They run specials with free shipping, and those periods when they do not, you can have your order shipped to the store free then pick it up (and shop too :)). You'll get points on your account that you can use toward future orders. You can really save on a sale + company rebate offers + free shipping + using points. While in the store, Cabela's honors the price online if the shelf lists a different one. You just need proof (I pull mine up on the app on my phone at checkout if the register doesn't do it automatically).
    Now, the Bass Pro route, if you find a deal and have it shipped to the store, they will give you a $10 gift card for picking it up. I live closer to Bass Pro (5 min.), so getting $10 to pick orders up is a no-brainer (sometimes you need to remind them).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I used to buy from Lucky Gunner but not so much anymore after I had an issue with them(long story).

I do buy from Freedom Munitions. Both new and reloads. I catch free shipping specials and though the prices aren't the lowest, shipping speed and customer service are good.

I'll check out some of the other sites mentioned in this thread.

To the OP, I can't remember the last time I bought ammo at a brick and mortar store. It's just too easy to buy online. Getting it at as good or better price is just a bonus. I'd pay more to stay out of Wally World.

And keep in mind that a few range visits and you will burn through boxes quite fast. Buy bulk!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All of my ammo comes from Target Sports. I picked up their prime ammo membership and take advatabge of the free shipping on all amp orders and 8% off of their listed prices. Particular useful for trying different ammo brands or for ammo that can be hard to find in stores

Like gregki, I don’t know the last time I bought ammo from a brick and mortar store.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I use ammoseek.com though the first deal may sound good but once you add shipping it would add a few cents to the price per round. I usually pick a few and compare the shipping. I was looking at 7.62x39 steel 1k and from the cheapest price to one that was a little higher but shipping was cheaper I could save 6 bucks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I use ammoseek.com though the first deal may sound good but once you add shipping it would add a few cents to the price per round. I usually pick a few and compare the shipping. I was looking at 7.62x39 steel 1k and from the cheapest price to one that was a little higher but shipping was cheaper I could save 6 bucks.

This is my go to site. I also subscribe to a few sites' newsletters to catch deals that may not show up on ammoseek.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I use gunbot.net. For 9mm range ammo, I try to get armscor, blazer brass, or pmc bronze. Each gun is different though.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Any of the major factory brands will be fine for range ammo. Federal, Winchester, S&B, and many others will do nicely.

In center fire calibers that is mostly true. Rim fire not so much. I was shooting a couple .22's yesterday just for the purpose of testing ammo. One was an older S&W 41 and the other a new S&W Victory both offhand. This time I had Blazer 40gr LRN, Remington Eley target and CCI Standard Velocity 40gr LRN. Major difference in reliability and/or accuracy in brands and the most expensive isn't always the best. Just ordered 5000 rounds of CCI standard velocity online. Don't just use one and wonder why your groups stink. I ain't no bullseye shooter but sometimes it isn't your lack of skill but crappy ammo.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Bought a bunch of ammo from target sports recently and they shorted me 200 rds. Ended up having to call them 4 or 5 times before I got through to someone.

Top Bottom