• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've purchased once-fired brass before, and I expected it to be dirty, still need de-primed...
    Yesterday I received a package in the mail containing my first purchase of "processed" brass.
    Caliber is .300Blackout.
    I bought what was advertised as all once-fired Lake City military 5.56 brass that had been "processed" to size it for .300Blackout.
    I did not want to try my hand at sizing my own brass just yet.

O.k. I ordered 100pcs and got 105pcs. They are BEAUTIFUL! Shiny, high-polished finish, primer pockets swagged, sized and trimmed for .300Blackout.
    Upon examination I found that every single case had a small burr on the case mouth that needed removed.

Is this typical of "processed" brass? I realize the term is subjective, but I kind of expected these cases to be ready to load.
    Was I expecting too much?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I've purchased once-fired brass before, and I expected it to be dirty, still need de-primed...
    Yesterday I received a package in the mail containing my first purchase of "processed" brass.
    Caliber is .300Blackout.
    I bought what was advertised as all once-fired Lake City military 5.56 brass that had been "processed" to size it for .300Blackout.
    I did not want to try my hand at sizing my own brass just yet.

O.k. I ordered 100pcs and got 105pcs. They are BEAUTIFUL! Shiny, high-polished finish, primer pockets swagged, sized and trimmed for .300Blackout.
    Upon examination I found that every single case had a small burr on the case mouth that needed removed.

Is this typical of "processed" brass? I realize the term is subjective, but I kind of expected these cases to be ready to load.
    Was I expecting too much?

Yes, you were expecting to much.. They exceeded there expectations when they tossed in a extra 5 cases. That covered any cases that had not met the specs of what you bought.
    I don't believe I have ever seen " processed cases " that had the inside or outside of the necks chamfered.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Pre formed Wildcat brass is pretty rare. Sounds like you did ok. A small burr on the mouth is a non factor for a commercial reloader. There is a ton of trimming needed when making brass for that caliber out of 5.56 military. Call that little burr you chose to remove "fine tuning"

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.K. I really didn't know.
    It wasn't that big of a deal to remove the burr. It really wasn't even apparent until you run your fingers around the case mouth.
    Now I know...

BTW- I really appreciate everyone's input, but, 17squirrel, your new avatar is, well, disturbing to say the least.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    A lot of the processors making 300 BLK size them and trim in the same step using a trimmer with a sizing die and don't keep up on the sharpness of the cutter.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Where did you end up getting them from?

This....cause I ordered 500 pieces of once fired processed 223 brass from bullseye brass. I wouldn't expect the burrs on once fired 223. All my 223 that I've reloaded from once firing is still in spec case length wise even after resizing

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Depends on WHERE you buy...

"I don't believe I have ever seen " processed cases " that had the inside or outside of the necks chamfered. "

That also gets done on the .223 brass that I sell...Bill.

Top Bottom