• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    You can also check the spot silver price, kitco or this tracks it pretty well:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=slv

Dude, that is a POS link to a POS ETF called SLV. Buy that and you will have
    a piece of paper that is not even good Toilet Paper. ALSO, the price of SLV is
    around $2 less than the spot price today, anyway! I'd ignore SLV, it SUCKS!
    It's not even 100% backed by physical metals. Maybe as low as 3% backed,
    but there is no way of knowing. If INGO members really want great Silver
    info, go to SilverDoctors.com, join up and you can use me as a reference :D
    Not necessary tho, me as a ref.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    apmex.com

as others said, buy bullion, not coins. coins have a collectable value that exceeds its value as actual material. maybe others do, but i dont go for collectibles.

I would agree that paying a premium for anything with numismatic value might not be wise, but not all coins have this. Like already mentioned, you have your 90% " junk" or "common date" coinage... The one that does still seem to always carry a premium even if it's common and/or " junk" are the much older Morgans and Peace dollars...

Simply ignoring the possibilty of the 90% being the best buy at times can be a mistake. Through the years, it has been the best option on that given day many times. Quite a few times I have gotten it right around "melt" price...

Back in 1979 when silver hit its peak, many dealers stopped counting number of coins. They simply weighed them and paid according... Thinking this could happen again someday, I really think I score big when I get some '64 Kennedy's in UNC condition at " junk" price... :D These have absolutely no wear, but because they made a crap ton of them, hold no collectors value either...

Last edited:

Herstal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Dude, that is a POS link to a POS ETF called SLV. Buy that and you will have
    a piece of paper that is not even good Toilet Paper. ALSO, the price of SLV is
    around $2 less than the spot price today, anyway! I'd ignore SLV, it SUCKS!
    It's not even 100% backed by physical metals. Maybe as low as 3% backed,
    but there is no way of knowing. If INGO members really want great Silver
    info, go to SilverDoctors.com, join up and you can use me as a reference :D
    Not necessary tho, me as a ref.

Ah that's not a reference to buy, it's a way an easier way to view the (approx) spot price over time. Kitco is closer to "spot" price, but those graphs are hard to read. I suggested NWTMint for purchasing.

If you're looking to do some day trading speculation on silver, ZSL (2x short) and AGQ (2x) are fun. I made a bit on ZSL when silver approached $50/oz sometime in 2011.

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Ah that's not a reference to buy, it's a way an easier way to view the (approx) spot price over time. Kitco is closer to "spot" price, but those graphs are hard to read. I suggested NWTMint for purchasing.

If you're looking to do some day trading speculation on silver, ZSL (2x short) and AGQ (2x) are fun. I made a bit on ZSL when silver approached $50/oz sometime in 2011.

Cool, Herstal! I suspected that you knew what it was, but wanted to alert others.
    Short term markets ETF trading can be a good thing, but most stackers seem to
    think the market is heavily manipulated. I do too. So that makes it dicey to speculate.
    Still possible, but iffy on the "day trader" scheduling.

I checked SLV and the spot @ close, and it was $2 low, lagging the physical.
    The COMEX (crimex) is what you want to avoid also, but it affects all the silver prices. :yesway:

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    Stay away from ETFs. Buy the physical silver and have it shipped to you, don't get involved with a program that you pay money to but only get a certificate because they claim to be holding your metal for 'security' reasons. Silver/gold is useless to you if you don't physically have it in your possession.

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    I think a group buy could be a good idea, because of the price difference you usually pay buying online via credit card or bank wire. One bank wire transfer can really be minimal once you tally up multiple purchase price differences, but you have to purchase quite a bit, and it's often beyond what an individual can sometimes handle.

In addition to Apmex, I've had good (but a little slow) service from Gainesville Coins, and they usually have a good selection of 90% US silver coins. I recently got a $5 bank roll of 90% dimes from them, and last I checked they also had $10 rolls of quarters and halves.

Good luck.

Buy Silver Coins, Silver Bullion and Buy Gold | Gainesville Coins

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One more thing to remember is your dealer has to eat too. I have found many first time PM buyers just don't grasp the idea just how much Gold or Silver has to move before they even break even. A good, reputable dealer should have absolutely no issue with disclosing the differential between the current " sell " and " buy " prices... Regardless if a first time buyer or not, all should be aware and understand this and also how this differential is always subject to change. The trend I have always thought is what should be obvious... The crazier things get, the larger the differential opens.

Once you find a reputable, honest dealer, then establishing good communication with him can be of great benefit.

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    Its never to late to start buying silver . Since everyone seems to have covered very good local sources I wanted to also mention MY favorite way to buy silver.
    First go to Coinflation.com there you can find the actual silver value of silver coins. I print that out when I go to garage sales or to auctions. Since I know the silver value of the coins I can bid accordingly. That also works in antique stores also.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Already been covered but I have always had good service with both APMEX and NWTM. APMEX is faster, NWTM has a 2-4 month wait but never have failed me and often have a smaller mark-up. After you get on eithers mailing list, you may get some sales on specific units. I buy rounds and bars.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Are silver rounds better than silver bars or is it just user prefernece.

Just a matter of the buyer's preference. Weight and percentage of pure silver determine the value. You can get many different sizes of bars or rounds. Also, some are very decorative while others are plain.

427TriPowered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    i have been buying silver for years... generaly american silver eagles in the 20 coin mint tube...

i like them because its a known unit from a known source... all have been procured at local coin stores... just walk in and ask what they have... knowing the market price that day is helpful... reduces the dickering a bit...

Last edited:

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    Look at this site: Gold Shark | Gold & Silver Dealer Reviews

It rates the best online gold/silver sites and allows you to compare price of coin you are looking for amongst all dealers reviewed.

American Eagles and Canadian Maple Leafs are actual currency and will always have a face value?

I have used Gainesville Coin and have been happy with them.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Look at this site: Gold Shark | Gold & Silver Dealer Reviews

It rates the best online gold/silver sites and allows you to compare price of coin you are looking for amongst all dealers reviewed.

American Eagles and Canadian Maple Leafs are actual currency and will always have a face value?

I have used Gainesville Coin and have been happy with them.

The intrinsic value of the coin,(the gold content/weight) will always be more than the face value. A gold or silver coin is always worth much more than stamped dollar amount face value.

Top Bottom