• ...and so much more!
  • HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    If I have Guns, Ammo, Food, Water! what do I need of gold or silver! If there is a true collapse two people have to hold a item and decide if it has value! Gold and Silver will have no value to me! Just Guns, ammo, food, water, will have value!

Those are the things that will keep you alive! just my two cents worth!

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Can I ask a stupid question that's been bugging me? What type of SHTF scenario are you guys planning on that silver will be a valuable asset? The only one that makes sense is a financial collapse but other than that wouldn't goods like food be worth far more..... If your starving I'm not gonna trade my chickens for a hunk of metal when I'm sure there's plenty that could be looted or just left lying around. Not being a smart ass just really curious how this goes towards prepping? I understand if you have a ton of silver how it could benefit you but don't see the big picture.
    PS sorry for the thread jack.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    As the .gov continues to deflate the value of your dollar, you are going to wish you had some of your assets in metal.

If you are expecting Mad Max SHTF, then I agree its value is not as high.

Financial collapse is huge risk now, prepare for it.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Gold and silver will not be valuable during a super duper pooper scooper SHTF scenario, but the vastly more likely scenario is devaluation/hyperinflation.

Prepping is like putting hurricane shutters on your house. Owning precious metals is more like putting shingles on your roof.

Sure a hurricane is very devastating, but it is not as likely as a rainstorm.

With precious metals, you are preparing for a less devastating-more likely occurance of hyperinflation.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Gold and silver has been valuable since the beginning of time and was desirable in all of the financial collapses in the last 100 years (Belarus, Argentina, Zimbabwe, Germany, etc, etc, etc.)

It is more like insurance. If the dollar crashes so your bank account is worthless, the idea is that your gold has increased to make up the difference, keeping your net worth roughly the same.

I agree that a silver quarter is probably not going to buy bread at a store, but hey, who knows? If I'm going to err, it'll be on the side of having, rather than not having.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    What I have done:

1. Bought firearms and ammo.
    2. Paid off all debts, including the Mortgage.
    3. Garden and can. (current)
    4. Buy precious metals (current)
    5. Buy back-up electricity source (future)

So far, I have been buying 1 oz. silver American Eagles, Canadian Maples, and Lakotahs. I would like to buy some 1/2 oz. Lakotahs, and other fractionals, as well as some gold.

I compare Apmex and Provident Metals, and buy the lowest price (which is almost always Provident Metals).

Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com

GOLD BULLION COINS | American Silver Eagles | BUY SILVER BULLION ROUNDS & BARS

Here is a good precious metals forum:

Gold is Money - The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney

Silver related sites:

SilverDoctors | Restoring Your Financial Health

Silver For The People – The Blog

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Can I ask a stupid question that's been bugging me? What type of SHTF scenario are you guys planning on that silver will be a valuable asset? The only one that makes sense is a financial collapse but other than that wouldn't goods like food be worth far more..... If your starving I'm not gonna trade my chickens for a hunk of metal when I'm sure there's plenty that could be looted or just left lying around. Not being a smart ass just really curious how this goes towards prepping? I understand if you have a ton of silver how it could benefit you but don't see the big picture.
    PS sorry for the thread jack.

If you have to 'cut and run', it'll be easier to put $30k worth of gold in your pocket than it will to carry $30k worth of chickens or twinkies.

Another scenario, when bartering, I may have something you want but nothing you have that I want. In that case, I may trade my goods for your silver. Hence, why money was created in the first place. :twocents:

zerocool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Indy Northside
    Hey Guys, thanks for the great info... It has been fun starting my stacking journey... I did hit Lost Dutchman and they only had $2.00 in face value 90% which I picked up and pulled some ASE from Provident Metals. I liked that place as the prices seemed pretty decent and the customer service guy was very helpful in explaining details about the silver choices.

I can see where this can be an addictive road to go down in stacking silver. Almost better than sex and guns (well, not really) but still a fun and smart activity...

Thanks again,
    Zero

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    Something to keep in mind: IN charges sales tax on gold/silver sales. IL does not. That's a 7% savings right there. Maybe not worth driving to IL just to purchase but if you're over there anyway........s.

thats funny I have bought from three different coin shops in north central indiana for years always in cash and never paid sales tax. now if you're using plastic that might be different

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    hey buy from the local corner store. three big reasons why.

1-- find the one with good prices and become a regular. pretty soon they will sell the usual commodity stuff to you for thinner margins than anybody online like apmex can manage

2-- you make no electronic tracks when you pay in cash and take delivery by hand

3-- who will buy? when adversity in the regular course of life hits, may come a time now and then when you may need to raise some cash from your stash. where to sell? to the local corner store where they are liable to give you the best price and no shipping costs.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I guess I just don't understand enough about economics but I would think the value of that gold will collapse just as fast as the value of the dollar. If the US economy is out of the equation that gold will lose a huge percentage of it's value unless you can access a global market. Gold's value is driven by the economy because people can afford to pay X amount for it once people can no longer afford it does't it devalue? I guess I'm seeing it as you would have to have extremely large sums 100k plus to have a true benefit in a financial collapse. But I guess you have to start somewhere.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I guess I just don't understand enough about economics but I would think the value of that gold will collapse just as fast as the value of the dollar. If the US economy is out of the equation that gold will lose a huge percentage of it's value unless you can access a global market. Gold's value is driven by the economy because people can afford to pay X amount for it once people can no longer afford it does't it devalue? I guess I'm seeing it as you would have to have extremely large sums 100k plus to have a true benefit in a financial collapse. But I guess you have to start somewhere.

With Gold & Silver one of the ways to think about it would be to have enough on hand that if/when the dollar collapsed you would be able to pay off entirely or a large portion of any fixed rate loan. For example (with easy math), the average house used to be around 100 ounces of silver, and currently 100 ounces of silver was $3,000. If the silver market corrected itself to pay off an average house today at about $110,000 (pick any value) then you could be looking at paying off a house for $3000. Obviously those numbers are very simplistic, but you get the point. If you had $10,000 in silver at today's prices you could potentially pay off one house, buy another, and save another houses worth so that if the Dollar did survive you'd be living the dream.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Cyprus is failing, Europe is unraveling....and silver FELL over a dollar in the last few days?!?!?!? What am I missing? I read where Cypriots and others in Europe, were moving money out of cash in Europe to tangible assets in the US (land/gold/silver) Why the drop?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Cyprus is failing, Europe is unraveling....and silver FELL over a dollar in the last few days?!?!?!? What am I missing? I read where Cypriots and others in Europe, were moving money out of cash in Europe to tangible assets in the US (land/gold/silver) Why the drop?

The powers that be are still manipulating the market.

Top Bottom