• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I go with whatever I can get at the lowest cost per oz. of Ag.

A couple of years ago at a shop I used to frequent, the junk silver pre-1964 coins were a better deal on a particular visit on that basis since the shop set the price at a multiple of face value vs. $3 added per oz. of bullion.

Most of the time, bullion has been a better value. Some dimes and quarters are very handy to supplement the bulk. Plus, it's easy to carry a stack of pre-64 dimes for emergencies!

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    In the name of accuracy I should state that I have made more money in the last 5 years investing in Lead than in silver or gold. It's not considered a precious metal, but the prices on .22 are 3 and 4 times what I paid for it.
    The problem is like owning an ice cream store and eating up all the profits. I just keep eating up all my lead.
    Lost

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    In the name of accuracy I should state that I have made more money in the last 5 years investing in Lead than in silver or gold. It's not considered a precious metal, but the prices on .22 are 3 and 4 times what I paid for it.
    The problem is like owning an ice cream store and eating up all the profits. I just keep eating up all my lead.
    Lost

If you're a good scrounger there is quite a bit of money to be made in scrounging scrap lead, melting into ingots, and selling to casters... but it's also labor intensive.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Question on silver bars. I unfortunately have to sell what silver I have left to pay off some debt. I have 5 (10) oz, 2 of which are Englehard, why does this mint carry such a premium, I am seing P series, 11th series bars, 2 of which I have sell continually well over the spot price. They are selling 200 plus while other bars are priced just over spot.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't buy silver bars that carry a huge premium over what others go for. To each their own, wish I could answer your question but I do not have an answer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Question on silver bars. I unfortunately have to sell what silver I have left to pay off some debt. I have 5 (10) oz, 2 of which are Englehard, why does this mint carry such a premium, I am seing P series, 11th series bars, 2 of which I have sell continually well over the spot price. They are selling 200 plus while other bars are priced just over spot.

I don't know the answer to your question, but given the low price of silver now, be glad you'll get a little more for yours!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

The original Englehard bars are considered to be of superior quality and the ORIGINAL company is out of business. So folks who collect silver will pay a premium, especially for the poured bars and odd sizes and weights. The name has been licensed now and you can get new production bars and rounds from Provident and others with the Englehard name, but it does not carry the premium.

So if you can find a buyer who appreciated the collectability, you'll get the premium.

Top Bottom