• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Just curious on this possibility.

If hunting on private family land what would be to stop you from bagging a deer, then buying the license online, and reporting the kill online? I can see that it's not the 100% ethical thing to do but was just curious. If someone is only planning on hunting on one particular day, it seems silly to have to pay the $25x2 (buck or doe) if you don't get one.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

If hunting on private family land what would be to stop you from bagging a deer, then buying the license online, and reporting the kill online? I can see that it's not the 100% ethical thing to do but was just curious. If someone is only planning on hunting on one particular day, it seems silly to have to pay the $25x2 (buck or doe) if you don't get one.

I don't want this response to come off harsh, but if you're seeking approval for such an action, you won't find it here.

Johnner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Nope, not looking for approval, just wondering if I was the only one that contemplated it.

I was excited when they came out w/ the combo license this year until I saw that it was basically just a $10 savings off of 3 tags. What they really need is a more affordable "if it's brown it's down" license that will cover a single buck or doe. Having to spend $50 to go hunting for one day with the intent of getting one deer for meat seems excessive.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Having to spend $50 to go hunting for one day with the intent of getting one deer for meat seems excessive.

Sure it's excessive, it's the government.
    I say go for it. Plenty of people drive around with no, or a suspended, drivers license. The chances of getting caught are really pretty slim.
    Just don't whine when Mr. CO takes your gun, truck, and everything but the clothes off your back.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Archery tags are either sex, cost $24.

The bundle is the way to go if you want to shoot multiple deer. These tags are for 1 antlered and 2 antlerless deer during any season.

The savings can be more than $10 depending on how things work out. For example, if you buy a firearms tag it is good for antlered deer only. If you don't shoot a buck in that season, you're out the $24.

Now that they have the bundle, I think the concept should be expanded and the existing tag system should be scrapped. Tags should simply be "deer tags" and not tied to equiprment or seasons. New options should inlcude a single brown/down tag for $24, and a bundle for 5 tags, etc.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    he said it all......END THREAD!!!!!!

If you get caught you will wish you had purchased the tag. shoot a squirrel one day out of season. (I got the end date of the season wrong) and it cost me $75.

Sounds to me like you got off lucky. You still have your rifle and your vehicle that took you to your hunting spot! I presume that you also didn't lose hunting privileges for any length of time?

-J-

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Good ethics is doing the right thing when no one is looking to see if you had done the wrong thing.

Hunting and only buying a license after you killed a deer or not buying one if you didn't kill a deer, would pretty much declare what your personal ethics are.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Nope, not looking for approval, just wondering if I was the only one that contemplated it.

I was excited when they came out w/ the combo license this year until I saw that it was basically just a $10 savings off of 3 tags. What they really need is a more affordable "if it's brown it's down" license that will cover a single buck or doe. Having to spend $50 to go hunting for one day with the intent of getting one deer for meat seems excessive.

If the financial burden of buying 2 deer tags is too much, choose one and hunt accordingly.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If the financial burden of buying 2 deer tags is too much, choose one and hunt accordingly.

When I hunted, I bought a shotgun tag and antlerless tag at $50. If I paid $60+ to have a deer processed, I might as well just go to the store and buy pork steak. Same thing with taxes. Raise them too high, people will cheat. I own my own property now so I don't have to buy tags.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...What they really need is a more affordable "if it's brown it's down" license that will cover a single buck or doe. Having to spend $50 to go hunting for one day with the intent of getting one deer for meat seems excessive.

If you are looking for affordable, you are in the wrong place. The state left meat hunters behind many years ago. That is the reason you don't have a lifetime license available any longer.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    When I hunted, I bought a shotgun tag and antlerless tag at $50. If I paid $60+ to have a deer processed, I might as well just go to the store and buy pork steak. Same thing with taxes. Raise them too high, people will cheat. I own my own property now so I don't have to buy tags.

Ive had times where Ive decided to skip ML season because I didnt want to spend more money on tags. Never thought about hunting without them:dunno:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Sounds to me like you got off lucky. You still have your rifle and your vehicle that took you to your hunting spot! I presume that you also didn't lose hunting privileges for any length of time?

-J-
    you presume correct, just to make sure it is clear I did have my squirrel tag/permit. I went to my court date. Admitted I did it and was completely honest and the judge appeared to be in a good mood. I counted my blessings and double check the season opening and closing dates before I head out.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There is a lot of mention of ethics, character, etc in this thread and I'm all for that but I'm sure my position won't be popular.

How many years have humans been hunting to eat? How many years have humans been hunting for horns? Other than having antlers for tools, I don't think the Indians gave a rats ass if a deer had antlers or not. They hunted to survive. It's only been the last century or so that hunting has been commercialized and turned into a "sport".

What makes a horn hunter any more ethical than a sustenance hunter simply because he sought the king's permission and paid him a ransom? I won't look down on a person who hunts what he needs to keep food on the table for his family instead of going on food stamps. And I won't hold the Boone and Crockett record holder in high regard because his had bigger antlers than another's.

How long has licensing even existed for hunting? I haven't hunted in 2 years and I won't hunt if I'm not going to eat it or have someone lined up who will. I don't need to hunt to feed my family, therefore I will not pay hundreds of dollars in gear and tags when I can go to the store and buy better tasting meat for less. I enjoy hunting but it certainly isn't my life. But I won't condemn a sustenance hunter simply because he didn't bow before the king and pay his tax.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Maybe you should go back to the regs and read them again. If you are immediate family of the landowners, you dont need a deer license/tag. The rules changed this year....for the better.(assuming you are a indiana resident)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    There is a lot of mention of ethics, character, etc in this thread and I'm all for that but I'm sure my position won't be popular.

How many years have humans been hunting to eat? How many years have humans been hunting for horns? Other than having antlers for tools, I don't think the Indians gave a rats ass if a deer had antlers or not. They hunted to survive. It's only been the last century or so that hunting has been commercialized and turned into a "sport".

What makes a horn hunter any more ethical than a sustenance hunter simply because he sought the king's permission and paid him a ransom? I won't look down on a person who hunts what he needs to keep food on the table for his family instead of going on food stamps. And I won't hold the Boone and Crockett record holder in high regard because his had bigger antlers than another's.

How long has licensing even existed for hunting? I haven't hunted in 2 years and I won't hunt if I'm not going to eat it or have someone lined up who will. I don't need to hunt to feed my family, therefore I will not pay hundreds of dollars in gear and tags when I can go to the store and buy better tasting meat for less. I enjoy hunting but it certainly isn't my life. But I won't condemn a sustenance hunter simply because he didn't bow before the king and pay his tax.

+1 if a family NEEDS the meat then more power to them....even in July.
    I would not do it simply because I can afford the tags and I have my own land to hunt on. If i could not afford the tags then my family isnt going to starve, they are eating venison...even out of season if need be. If a court wants to fault me for trying to survive along with my family, then so be it.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    +1 if a family NEEDS the meat then more power to them....even in July.
    I would not do it simply because I can afford the tags and I have my own land to hunt on. If i could not afford the tags then my family isnt going to starve, they are eating venison...even out of season if need be. If a court wants to fault me for trying to survice along with my family, then so be it.

+1

More deer have been killed unethically in a hunt for sport and antlers than food.

Top Bottom