• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The recent shortages and high prices are a major pain but not everyone buying deserves scorn and ridicule. The people buying didn’t create this situation; the people trying to ban currently legal items are responsible for creating this situation. I think there are probably several broad groups of buyers.

1) Hardcore enthusiasts that are just trying to buy what they would have purchased anyway before the recent events.

2) Collectors that already have multiple firearms but don’t have THAT firearm or only have one of that firearm. Some are buying now just in case a ban is enacted and others would have bought anyway when the opportunity presented itself.

3) People with incredibly bad timing. Some are new gun-owners (or want to be gun-owners) that picked the wrong time to start. New people join the ranks of gun-owners all the time and are normally welcomed when their presence doesn’t exacerbate an existing shortage. Some people have been gun-owners for a long time and chose the wrong time to become more active or return to the hobby. Again, these people are normally welcomed back warmly when every firearm or ammo purchase doesn’t deplete a dwindling supply.

4) Those for whom recent events have been an epiphany and suddenly realized that the window for acquiring certain types (or all types) of firearms could be closing. Maybe they always intended to purchase a firearm or a certain type of firearm and never got around to it. Now there is a sense of urgency and they are willing to pay more to get in before its too late.

5) Profiteers that see a demand, escalating prices and the potential for profit. They are buying firearms, accessories and ammunition not because they want it but because they think they can make a profit.

Personally I think the profiteers are making things harder on the people that actually WANT the firearms, accessories and ammunition and are taking advantage of the situation. I hope nothing happens to erode our gun rights and prices come back down. If nothing happens then some of the profiteers will still make money and some will lose depending on how deep they were in and when they got out. They are taking a chance and that is their right even if it does inconvenience and aggravate me.

The people with bad timing or who suddenly see the light are new allies in the defense of the 2nd Amendment, new people with whom to share ideas/laughs and should be welcomed not ridiculed or blamed for the shortages.

The collectors are , well, collectors. If they didn’t want one or more of everything then they wouldn’t be collectors. Of course they want to increase their collections. Most of the time these people are great sources of information.

The hardcore enthusiasts are understandably frustrated by the supply interruption and increasing costs. Someone has seriously upset their world. I would suggest that the frustration is best directed at those attempting to limit our 2nd Amendment rights.

As for me, I used to be very involved in firearms, drifted away for other pursuits and just got back into it a couple of years ago. I consider myself to be one of those with bad timing. I made a few purchases the past couple of years (before the horrible accident crossing the Ohio River bridge) ;), intended to slowly make a few more purchases that I had been putting off and eventually buy the reloading equipment that I have thought about on and off over the years. Now the supply is low and the price is high. Yes, I wish that I had bought more things over the years :wallbash: but I have enjoyed other hobbies as well and only have so much time and money. I am not “panic buying” because I won’t pay outrageous prices, but there are still some things I would like to acquire if/when the prices are right.

Just my :twocents: FWIW.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I fall under the bad timing catagory as well. Can't control when you will have the money to buy.

77broncoman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    Nice way to break it down, slawburger....too bad none of us has a crystal ball. While I have most everything I need, I fall into the bad timing category on some things such as certain reloading components such as primers, powders, etc. Hope it calms down soon.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Group #1 for me. I bought a bolt action hunting rifle and two boxes of ammo last week. I was going to buy them anyway. I paid regular prices for the rifle and the cartridges.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree completely with your analysis. I am not panic buying but still doing some purchases that I had planned before the shooting incident. For instance I really am not a great fan of the 5.56 round but thought I might built up an AR in Bushmaster .450 and Possibly one in the 5.56 just to have one. (I am and have been a collector since before the first ban, now have my FFL-03 Collectors license.). I purchased one stripped RR lower at the last Indy GS, then a second RR lower and lower kit at the Kokomo gun show - after the panic. However the last one was cheaper than the lowest priced one at the Indy show. I also had planned to add some magazines for my Ak I purchased last January, finished customizing it in Feb~Mar - had bought 4 or 5 at gun shows since the build, would have continued doing that but... so ordered a couple from Midway and 6 from Sportsman's Guide (all at pre-fear prices). Had ordered 1K of .308 bullets in early Dec from an online vendor - however he was out of the 62 grain .224 _ this was before the Shooting and he said he would have some around the first of the year. These were actually for my Dil, my son and I do reloading for over 30 calibers for our guns. Now I can't find any 62 gr bullets for reloading at reasonable prices. I'm hope I will within a few weeks or will be forced to pay the fear prices. I am however still looking for reasonable priced AR parts to complete my builds. I'm sure the prices will remain inflated somewhat, and I will lose patience and pay some premium before they go back to normal - whatever the "new normal" will be remains to be seen. The only people's actions I really dislike are the ones that are buying in quantity strictly to limit the market and trying to resell at extremely high prices. Of course I dislike ticket scalpers too, and would never buy from them.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    not trying to be a jackwagon or anything.
    but i'm confused as to what point you were trying to make here.. :dunno:

Everyone on INGO has been very cordial with me since I joined in March. :yesway:

However, I know people are getting frustrated with the supply and pricing issue and just wanted to remind everyone that the people just joining or the new faces they see at the LGS are potential friends and not the root cause of the shortages.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Everyone on INGO has been very cordial with me since I joined in March. :yesway:

However, I know people are getting frustrated with the supply and pricing issue and just wanted to remind everyone that the people just joining or the new faces they see at the LGS are potential friends and not the root cause of the shortages.

point taken. thank you!

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Bad timing as well.. decided to build a 22LR AR at the worst time... :xmad:

But the reasion.... 5.56 ammo is just getting to $$$.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I guess I fall in "bad timing". I've been in the game for about a year and have tons of plans... and this current situation is a pain in the ass.

I've got all of my AR-15 needs covered, but about 2 weeks before Sandy Hook, I decided I wanted to build an AR-10 and now those plans have been destroyed. Hopefully, whatever happens... I will get that chance.

My other wants, I feel comfortable that I will get a chance to pursue in the future... but I'm kind of waiting for this Panic nonsense to blow over so I can keep things moving with my collection.

Hopefully nothing will pass... but I'm pretty sure that hi-cap mags and probably "Assault Weapons" are going to be banned... so right now I'm in limbo deciding whether or not if I should seek out a hi-cap polymer 9mm pistol or try to sell my soul to find a .308 lower?

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Well for some of us, including me, it's bad timing based on the fact that we can't just shell out a few hundred bucks anytime we want something new we have to save up for a while to acquire the money. I have bought a .22 rifle since this craze has began because it was my next gun I have been planning on purchasing for a while and I paid the same price for it that I could have bought it for anytime in the past.

I had full intention of purchasing or building my first AR-15 come February when I get my tax return but now that is not gonna happen. I am instead going to add a new pistol that I have also been wanting if I can find it at a decent pre-panic price and save the money for a pre-panic priced AR to purchase after this frenzy dies down if it ever does. If I can't find what I am wanting at a non-panic price I'll just put the money away and hopefully be able to wait out this mess till I can buy what I want later. Hopefully I don't get shafted by some low capacity bill passing in the mean time since everything I want is more than a 10 round capacity. I refuse to pay twice or more for something to get it though. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this hobby I enjoy so I have to make it stretch as far as possible.

I pretty much agree with most of your observations though.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I could agree with your analysis but believe that you have missed a major point. You only address the purchase of guns with respect to it being a hobby or for collectors. While that may very well be true for some or even many, I think these shootings in gun free zones have awakened quite a few people as to the need for guns in self defense. They have come to the realization that the government and police cannot protect them and they see the need to protect themselves and their families. I believe this to be true since my gun club sees a surge in registrations for concealed carry classes after every one of these mass shootings.

Cj52racers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Personally I think the profiteers are making things harder on the people that actually WANT the firearms, accessories and ammunition and are taking advantage of the situation.

Just my :twocents: FWIW.

Are they taking advantage of the situation? Absolutely, but also, if they weren't selling then some of the items that people want wouldn't be on the market at all. Someone who may not have sold their AR a month ago is now because the demand is high. The profiteers actually keep the supply up and those who are more in need (ie, willing to pay more) are able to find product to buy. This is just how it works. I don't really blame anyone, this is just how it works. I just bought a .22 and got into firearms. Its hard to find any ammo at all, but if I need some I can get it, just at a slightly higher cost. People selling at higher cost are the only thing keeping anything available for those looking to buy right now.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i feel blessed to have all the guns and ammo i think i will ever need and feel sorry for the new guys and girls who are now just gettin g started in the hobby that i have enjoyed for the last 40 years. sorry and good luck.

jjordan2840

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    lafayette
    I fit in a few of those, not the profiteering. While I'm a recent addition to the INGO family, I have been a gun owner most of my life. The bad timing seems to fit my entire life, not just gun purchasing. Ive been wanting to get into reloading for some time. I decided a couple months ago to save money to purchase the needed supplies and equipment. We all know what has happend.... bad timing.

justknapping

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Nashville
    Interesting overview of the market I would have to say I'm probably in group # 3 but like to think of myself in group #2. I have many guns I'd like to buy but then things like ... eating , housing all those things my family likes get in the way and then I find my timing way off. lol but seriously probably one of the more thought out analysis I have seen

Top Bottom