• ...and so much more!
  • corben1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Greenup, Il
    A proud grandfather has to crow a bit.

My grandson (9 years old) is here for a week visit. Had two things in mind to keep the lad occupied. Take him to the Wabash for some Catfishing and to help build him a varmint rifle for the coming years. Been too wet for fishing, but we finished the rifle yesterday.

The action was a blueprinted 700. The barrel an old 26" 40X Remington takeoff in 6mm Remington International that was cut to 24" and rechambered to 6mm BR Remington. The stock is an old McMillan that was not bedded to this action, but close enough. The scope a Leupold 24BR scope. The barrel, being a 1 in 13" twist, confined the bullet weight to 60-70 grains. The load was 30.5 grains of H322 in a Lapua case, with 205M primers and two bullets. The bullets being ancient 60 grain Sierra and a few equally ancient Tom Metzger 62 grain BR bullets.

We got to the range this morning between rainstorms and had to cut the session just before another downpour. We had fun, and the little guy showed great potential for an inexperienced shooter.

Corbin shot the 60 grain Sierra bullets and I shot the 62 grain Metzgers. Made my day!
    C3sfirstgroupswiththe6BR005.jpg

C3sfirstgroupswiththe6BR009.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    At nine I was still shooting my crossman bb gun. Or stevens 22 at 10.

That is almost a prefect setup for a young shooter. Get him some ammo for it stocked up. I like the old benchrest rounds. The triple deuce being my favorite.

I remember my first shots with my savage 340 in .222. My first groundhog also. And dad telling me after sighting the rifle in that he expected a groundhog for every 2 shells I fired. I remember shooting 10 for 10 on hogs the second spring and dad buying me 2 whole boxes of shells for it. My uncle gave me 50 cents for every groundhog i could shoot at his farm. AS long as a brought them to the farm house from the field.

I would most likely have become a better shooter with that rifle if I had a few boxes of ammo and range time. WE still have that rifle in the family. We paid a whole 95 dollars for it.

corben1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Greenup, Il
    At age nine it was a Daisy BB gun for me. I was a terror of the old neighborhood that left dead and dying Sparrows everywhere. Also caused a window pane to fall into the kitchen sink of one neighbor while she was washing dishes. Not proud of that one.-:)

Thanks for the comments and stories. The mention of a 340 Savage in .222 also brings back a few memories. My uncle had one that seemed a bit rough and clunky, but it got the job done.

When the lad gets up this morning, we will be cleaning his new toy and reloading the cases fired yesterday. Hope I can find that old Wilson knock-out neck sizing die. Been some years since it has been used.

By the end of the weekend we get to send him home to Rolla, MO. Has a monster been created? Dunno, but I had a great time trying.:rockwoot:

corben1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Greenup, Il
    Gary,

I must tell you that the kid is sharp. He now fully understands the use of hand dies and has, by himself, reloaded all we shot yesterday. I continue to be amazed!

Whadayathink of that old 40X barrel? Had it stuffed in a five gallon bucket with a bunch of other clunks (UBMU) for twenty-odd years. I knew it had seen little use, but never had the time or inclination to fit it to anything due to the slow twist. With a few hours work, and Corbin's help, that old clunk shoots a quarter minute group. You've probably stumbled over that bucket a dozen times.

After your last visit, I found a nice insulated coffee cup. Also, after nearly a ten year layoff, the loading bench is now almost usable.:): Now, to hitch up the John Deere and mow the 500 yard range...................:ar15:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Gary,

I must tell you that the kid is sharp. He now fully understands the use of hand dies and has, by himself, reloaded all we shot yesterday. I continue to be amazed!

Whadayathink of that old 40X barrel? Had it stuffed in a five gallon bucket with a bunch of other clunks (UBMU) for twenty-odd years. I knew it had seen little use, but never had the time or inclination to fit it to anything due to the slow twist. With a few hours work, and Corbin's help, that old clunk shoots a quarter minute group. You've probably stumbled over that bucket a dozen times.

After your last visit, I found a nice insulated coffee cup. Also, after nearly a ten year layoff, the loading bench is now almost usable.:): Now, to hitch up the John Deere and mow the 500 yard range...................:ar15:
    Looks like the kid is a natural and that barrel is definitely a shooter.
    Once you get the range mowed it would be nice to see the Redneck Rifle Team back in action!!

corben1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Greenup, Il
    I'm just afraid that the range might need some work to be returned to its former glory. Provided it ever had any glory.:)

With members as far away as Scotland and South Africa, do you suppose we could have much action? Guess we could appoint some new members, as most of the old ones are either dead or shooting pistol.

If we wanted to be lazy (my way) we could hold our own 500 yard F Class Nationals and invite all the hotshots (old and new) to shoot F Class the way F(F)arky intended it to be. That would be with groundsheet, bipod and bag only. Whadayathink?

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I'm just afraid that the range might need some work to be returned to its former glory. Provided it ever had any glory.:)

With members as far away as Scotland and South Africa, do you suppose we could have much action? Guess we could appoint some new members, as most of the old ones are either dead or shooting pistol.

If we wanted to be lazy (my way) we could hold our own 500 yard F Class Nationals and invite all the hotshots (old and new) to shoot F Class the way F(F)arky intended it to be. That would be with groundsheet, bipod and bag only. Whadayathink?
    Sounds like fun. I've even got one of those bipod thingies with a European rail adapter.

corben1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Greenup, Il
    Wearing the colors of The Redneck Rifle Team is none other than Litlratt. He is holding old #1 Funnygun that has since become known as a tubegun.
    Y2KChaney2.jpg

Here is a good reason for not mowing the range right now. An old photo of Litlratt while stuck in the mud.
    Various-YoungMogleChaneyCorbinArnie.jpg

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis

Now, to hitch up the John Deere and mow the 500 yard range...................:ar15:

C3 is NINE now??? Time flies!! The kid has great shooting genes!! :D

Mog

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like fun! Been way too long since we got the RRT together to shoot! I bet we could get a few of us to help get the range in shape.

corben1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Greenup, Il
    Mog,

Here is a photo of you and Litlratt with a couple of interesting rifles. You are holding an Australian Sportco that has been adapted to 6BR. Looks like it was being used for F Class on that occasion. Litlratt is holding his 6.5X.284 funnygun. Hard to believe that was just a few months short of ten years ago.

It would be nice to clean up the range and have some weekend fun once again. You wouldn't know it today, as it has been in CRP for some years and looks like a jungle compared to this photo. Each side of the range is now lined with Bald Cypress trees.

Various-YoungMogleChaneyCorbinAr-1.jpg

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Some good looking rifles! Certainly doesn't seem like that long ago!

I'm pretty much booked until after State Championships in early September, then weekends start opening up for me.

Mog,

Here is a photo of you and Litlratt with a couple of interesting rifles. You are holding an Australian Sportco that has been adapted to 6BR. Looks like it was being used for F Class on that occasion. Litlratt is holding his 6.5X.284 funnygun. Hard to believe that was just a few months short of ten years ago.

It would be nice to clean up the range and have some weekend fun once again. You wouldn't know it today, as it has been in CRP for some years and looks like a jungle compared to this photo. Each side of the range is now lined with Bald Cypress trees.

corben1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Greenup, Il
    Mog,

I don't know that the water will be gone by late September. The river is once again rising. What a year!

Here's wishing all of you the best at Perry.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lawd willin' an' the crick don' rise! It's been rainin' like an elephant peeing on a rock here! I can only imagine what the range must be like out there! Maybe we can come up with a new biathalon-- shooting and scuba diving? At the VERY least we could be amused getting Chaney stuck in the mud! All seriousness aside, whenever we can get out there. Keep me posted!

Not planning much more than the Springfield match (03-A3-- picture a monkey and a football) and the Rumbold this year at Perry. And checking out the Air Rifle range! Just many family issues this year. Planning to do some more shooting when things slow down this fall!

Mog,

I don't know that the water will be gone by late September. The river is once again rising. What a year!

Here's wishing all of you the best at Perry.

Top Bottom