• ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    We all agree felons shouldn't own guns.

No, we don't all agree to that. A large number of us agree that if someone is free to walk the streets with the rest of us, he's free to keep and bear arms, regardless of his background. Period.

No we do not all agree that felons should not have guns, some of us believe some people should not be labeled felons for many many crimes.

This. Bears. Repeating.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This. Bears. Repeating.

rHZQvIx.gif
    rHZQvIx.gif
    rHZQvIx.gif

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Everybody has the right to defend themselves but I suppose the thought is that if you're a felon you're likely to use said weapon during the commission of another felony?

Again, if this argument held up, that 33 man task force should be whittled down to no more than 5 by now.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Again, if this argument held up, that 33 man task force should be whittled down to no more than 5 by now.
    There are a lot of arguments that one could make such as abolishing gun control, NFA, etc...

I'm just saying - being a felon does not mean that you no longer have the right to self preservation.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Evidently not. Sounded good when I typed it. Seems to me if you don't want to be a felon, don't break the law...but I am probably living in a little too black and white world.

There's lots and lots of accidental felons out there. Ever drive your kid to school and then turn the car off? Guess what? You're a felon. Even if you didn't open the door.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Evidently not. Sounded good when I typed it. Seems to me if you don't want to be a felon, don't break the law...but I am probably living in a little too black and white world.

The problem is that the days in which you could live by the Ten Commandments, pay your taxes, and never worry about running afoul of the law are long gone. Also true is that back in those days, felon or not, it was perfectly legal to buy a gun, including by mail order with no FFL-holding dealer involved. There was no prohibition against a felon owning a gun until 1968.

Today, not only do we have an infringement that the Constitution does not allow (and gets ignored) but we have so many things that have been criminalized that living within the law now takes effort and attention to details as opposed to the 'good old days' when you had to make a deliberate decision to do something clearly wrong before worrying about legal troubles.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Wait, so the wicked evil felons not only didn't commit crimes with their guns, they didn't blaze away when the coppers came a-calling?

Well, this will never do. Doesn't fit the narrative at all.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wait, so the wicked evil felons not only didn't commit crimes with their guns, they didn't blaze away when the coppers came a-calling?

Well, this will never do. Doesn't fit the narrative at all.

It might not fit the narrative, but it certainly fits with the aspirations of those in power.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    You have to start somewhere. You have to pick an easy mark first -- felons for instance. Once you sell the idea it's okay to deprive one group of the fundamental right to defense to the populace, the nect one becomes easier. Then the next. And the next. And the next. And the.....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You have to start somewhere. You have to pick an easy mark first -- felons for instance. Once you sell the idea it's okay to deprive one group of the fundamental right to defense to the populace, the nect one becomes easier. Then the next. And the next. And the next. And the.....

Exactly! Most people are too obtuse to understand that what the government can do to one person or group it can do to anyone--and eventually will.

Foxxwoof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Battle Ground
    No we do not all agree that felons should not have guns, some of us believe some people should not be labeled felons for many many crimes.

This...

Some of the things that get you classified as a Felon have little to do with violence, and "shouldn't" affect your right to own a firearm. But they do... Even a misdemeanor can get you a low rent felony if it is deemed "gross" in perpetuation.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I would guess that the majority of felons are convicted of property and vice crimes, not violent crimes. My google-fu is week today, but I'd bet on it.

By modern journalistic standards, that should pass for gospel fact.

Top Bottom