• trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    Here we go again:

HTTP://WWW.THEFOXNATION.COM/AMERICAN...FLAG-OFFENSIVE

The battle over the American flag has reached a middle school art class in California’s Santa Rita School District where a student was told not to draw Old Glory because it was “offensive,” while another student was praised for drawing a picture of President Obama.

Tracy Hathaway, of Salinas, CA, told FOX News Radio her 13-year-old daughter was ordered to stop drawing the American flag and start another project at Gavilan View Middle School.

“She had drawn the flag and was sketching the letters, ‘God bless America,’ when the teacher confronted her,” Hathaway told FOX. “She said, ‘You can’t draw that – that’s offensive.’”

Even more striking, another student in the same art class drew a picture of President Obama and was praised by the teacher.

“The picture of Barack Obama was in red, white and blue hues,” Hathaway said. “ The teacher said it was great. But when it comes to the flag – all of a sudden it was offensive?”

Hathaway said she took her concerns to the principal – and he was “floored” and apologized for what happened. He arranged a meeting with the Hathaways and the teacher.

“My husband point-blank asked her what she found offensive about the picture – the American flag or the words, ‘God Bless America,’” she said. “The teacher didn’t say a word.”

Hathaway said she was especially concerned that a picture of President Obama was praised yet a picture of the American flag was deemed offensive.

“That showed where she stood in the political spectrum,” she said “But this was not a political class. This was not a religious class. This was an art class.“

“My daughter wasn’t trying to break any rules and she wasn’t trying to create a scene,” she said. “She was just expressing her view and saying this is America and I want God to bless it.”

Mike Brusa, the superintendent of schools, told FOX in a written statement that he had contacted the principal and that the issue “was taken care of to their (the parent’s) satisfaction.” Read more...
    “The school administration and the parents did not view this as significant enough to bring it to the superintendent’s office,” he wrote.
    However, Hathaway said her daughter has yet to receive an apology – and in fact – the teacher told the girl that she should not have gotten her parents involved in the matter.

What is this country coming to? I served to protect the flag, and now it is offensive? WTH?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    There are good people in California but there are a lot that I wouldn't object to seeing ride that state into the ocean if the fault ever lets loose.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    statue-of-liberty-crying.jpg

:faint:
    This is really sad.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    This is getting nasty all over the country. We can't fly the American Flag with pride, but we can burn it. Im sorry This is in no way the America I was raised in.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    The left has been saying this crap for years. I lived in California for 4 years, nothing that happens there surprises me. California is a great example of a welfare state within the U.S., and why it doesn't work.

It's a real shame too because parts of that state beautiful. I can't think of a better climate to live in than San Diego.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    That teacher should be glad I was not one of the parents. I would have made a real big deal out of it and I would have not left until the teacher had apologized to my daughter and to me. California is a messed up state in many ways. Too many liberals out there for one thing. Since when did the minority been taken so seriously or win?? What the heck is our country coming to? I am happy and proud to say God Bless America. I used to have to stand and pledge allegiance to our flag when I was in Elementary school. This is just another example of politics and opinions in the classroom of which does not belong. Not a fine example of teaching now is it?:twocents:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't even know very many people with their feet embedded in concrete on the left of the spectrum, who would agree with this! I wouldn't even let my child go back to the school and would ask for the teacher to be dismissed from her position. We may have political differences, but you screw with the flag and I'm on the side of whoever stands up for it!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Teachers are getting as bad as the media. They don't follow the guidelines for what is to be taught in class but spread their own beliefs and values. Both groups stand by the 1st Amendment while dismissing the 2nd. If that teacher thinks the American Flag is offensive he/she should go live under whatever flag they are more comfortable with.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I don't even know very many people with their feet embedded in concrete on the left of the spectrum, who would agree with this! I wouldn't even let my child go back to the school and would ask for the teacher to be dismissed from her position. We may have political differences, but you screw with the flag and I'm on the side of whoever stands up for it!

We agree completely here. An apology would be a must as I would make a serious scene but I would push as hard as possible for dismissal as well as letting everyone know WHO is teaching their child every day.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Teachers are getting as bad as the media. They don't follow the guidelines for what is to be taught in class but spread their own beliefs and values. Both groups stand by the 1st Amendment while dismissing the 2nd. If that teacher thinks the American Flag is offensive he/she should go live under whatever flag they are more comfortable with.
    That is one of the main reason I decided to go to school to teach history. too many revisionist history teachers telling BS stories that have the slightest dash of truth (out of context of course) instead of teaching what really happens. And I agree with you, the media is just as bad

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    That is one of the main reason I decided to go to school to teach history. too many revisionist history teachers telling BS stories that have the slightest dash of truth (out of context of course) instead of teaching what really happens. And I agree with you, the media is just as bad

I hope you find a school that allows you to teach what you want in history as most have a curriculum set up by the head of the department and you must teach by that guideline.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This is getting nasty all over the country. We can't fly the American Flag with pride, but we can burn it. Im sorry This is in no way the America I was raised in.

It is not the same America, and it will continue to become worse. Why? Because, as English philosopher Edmund Burke said, ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.’ I see a whole lot of nothing going on around the country as these assaults on the American way of life keep occurring.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    I hope you find a school that allows you to teach what you want in history as most have a curriculum set up by the head of the department and you must teach by that guideline.
    I worked for Nuclear Navy before leaving the service. I know how to work guidelines and technicalities. they say teach about this subject, I will. From the historical point of view, not from a revisionist. And I will sight references when confronted.

Top Bottom