• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I went with the fiance this afternoon after she got off work. Showed them my club card and walked in the door. As I was walking in(putting my wallet away) a couple employees greeted us. Then I heard a "Hey Sir". I turned around and one of the greeters asked me that unless I was taking my sidearm to the gun library(I think that's what he said), that I need to keep it holstered. I said sure thing, and went on my way. First time I've been caught sloppy CC'ing(must have been when I was putting my wallet away).

Overall, the store was packed. With people. The shelves seemed to be stocked, although they packed them in there and the aisles were narrow. Same could be said of the parking lot, now that I think about it. I was impressed with the size of the fly fishing section.

I've been to Dundee, Wheeling, Hammond, Mitchell SoDak, and Rapid City SoDak. I've become numb to Cabela's. I do like it better than Gander and Dicks.
    I was looking to pick up a lb. of Titegroup, but they were out. It's on sale right now, so I may order online and pick up in store. One perk of having the store close by.

Oh, and there were about a dozen people camped out front waiting on tomorrow.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Oh, and there were about a dozen people camped out front waiting on tomorrow.

Chasing that advertised $500 gift card. Most will walk away with $5. Oh well, give them some practice for sitting outside Best Buy for the Black Friday deals while the rest of us eat turkey. They can start working on strategies for keeping last minute arrivers from cutting into line to grab the junk $199 laptop that's worth $100. :D

Get a look at the ammo? Good selection and pricing?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Lined up around the building already.

So they are already out of titegroup and they haven't even opened? Who opens a store with limited stock? I may roll in there about 30 minutes before closing this evening if the crowd is smaller. If not, meh. No huge loss. My wallet will thank me.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    ..... He was told he needed to go to the local sheriffs office to get a pistol permit before he could buy a pistol. I questioned the employee and asked if it was a Cabela's thing, he said no, it was an Indiana thing. I explained to my friend how buying a gun normally works and then the employee said it helps with background check maybe, and that he wouldn't be able to leave the store tonight with a pistol because the background check would take a few days. I am pretty sure the employee was not from Indiana. .....

This is a Michigan thing (unless you have a CPL). When I was there on Monday evening - the lady in the boot section was from the Dundee Store. I suspect this employee was from Michigan as well and simply "assumed" the laws were the same.

The back ground check lasting a couple days though is odd. Everyone knows that's a quick phone call and if everything goes right only about 10 minutes.

I've been to several of the stores around the nation and they do beat going to Dicks and Gander for sure but these smaller stores simply aren't the same "Cabelas Experience"...

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Get a look at the ammo? Good selection and pricing?

I didn't look at the ammo too close. They had a rack with 22lr, prices seemed inline with everywhere else. I couldn't see the rack with .223 as it was too crowded. Maybe in a week the crowds will die down.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Lined up around the building already.

So they are already out of titegroup and they haven't even opened? Who opens a store with limited stock? I may roll in there about 30 minutes before closing this evening if the crowd is smaller. If not, meh. No huge loss. My wallet will thank me.

I didn't even see a space for it on the shelf, had to ask the guy at the counter. I think he said something to the effect of "looks like we had two". HA!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I've been to several of the stores around the nation and they do beat going to Dicks and Gander for sure but these smaller stores simply aren't the same "Cabelas Experience"...

You said it better than I could.
    If I had my way, there would be no Dicks or Gander. I would replace them with Sportsman's Warehouse and Scheel's.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I struggle to understand why they picked such a small format store for the area. They are located in a high income area, with interstate access that has a strong outdoor customer base, very close to rivers and reservoirs not to mention farm country.

Staffing would have to be a big concern. Gander can't stay staffed. Granted Cabela's usually has part time adults that work in areas that interest them like knifes, guns, archery. But other than that it just another retailer pushing clothes and needing people to run the registers.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    You said it better than I could.
    If I had my way, there would be no Dicks or Gander. I would replace them with Sportsman's Warehouse and Scheel's.

Absolutely... I was just in the Coralville, IA Scheels a few months back... Never pass by without stopping....

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Grand Opening today. Friendly staff walking the long outdoor lines before the opening handing out free drink coozies and carabiners, chapstick and stickers. I did not make it into the first 500 people for the free gift card. Once again the aisles were a hinderance. I did see the large reloading section. It was larger than I had first seen. The fire Dept from Noblesville and Carmel were out with a large American flag flying in the wind from the tops of the ladder trucks. Good music and atmosphere.
    I confirmed the price on the price match for my ordered pistol so now it is just a wait until it arrives.
    They had 3 bi-places do a fly over that was cool. A worker used a bow and arrow to shoot the opening ribbon.
    All around I would say the store did a great job with the opening.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    that was the biggest waste of time this month.... all I wanted was some number 2 or smaller belly waited swim bait hooks and an ice fishing rod.... 3 was the smallest they had, and the ice rods are seasonal..... I didn't figure with a store that large that they wouldn't even have a SMALL selection.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Just got home from there. They have a Norinco AK for $1200. I only saw it briefly as I was chasing my 3 kids. My kids loved the store and want to go back to see more.

nhgluff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    I saw the AK its an 84s worth the least it was $1299
    lucky if its worth $1000
    Most used guns were overpriced older Smiths Colts etc. were priced like it was gunbroker

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    New location isn't much when compared to their "destination" stores - narrow aisles, thin stock, small wildlife display. That said, it beats GM by a mile. Picked up some .22 - they still had CCI mini-mags ($9 per 100).

Was a bit surprised to not see many items on sale. I'm hoping they will try to destroy GM.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Why does everyone want to see them put GM out of business? That's stupid. You want both, and you want them both to compete.

I was initially thrilled when Dicks came to town. I thought, "Wow, this is great for us consumers with Dicks and Galyans competing..."

Dicks buying out Galyans wasn't good for us.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Can't wait to see the new store. I been to the Hammond store many times when visiting my family and love the place. The store here in Noblesville is 100,000sq feet smaller at 88,000sq feet so it will be intresting to see how it will compare in stock. But i will say some good local competition with Gander Mountain will be nice to save money for all of us who does shop at these places at times. Doubt I will every buy any firearms there but if they have something hard to get in stock which i am looking for and unable to get at my local firearm dealer then i may buy a firearm there.

Top Bottom