• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you MUST go take 4wd and take Rich mtn rd. It's at the far end of CC and will kick you out on us129.

I took that out of CC one year. Fun little back road, not at all challenging from a 4x4 perspective. Well, *I* thought it was fun.... wife even hates highways that have drop-offs, even w/ guardrails etc... I thought she was going to have a stroke before we got out of the park...

So long as it's dry you don't need serious 4x4 for it. Some ground clearance is needed, but most of the time something like a Subaru outback could handle it. Might need more if rain had washed out some of the gullies. Piece of cake in the Xterra we had at the time. Not really many places to turn around if you choose to take it when you shouldn't. Closed in the winter (and I think they'll close it if weather is bad).

We saw a bear and cubs on our last time in CC. A few years ago I saw a bear in the parking lot of the cabin we were staying in.... It was dark, and I was getting something out of the truck. He popped out of a shadow not more than 15 yards from me.

I went in to look for a camera and was trying to tell the others we were with there was a bear outside.... lots of comical confusion followed, because my buddy's dog is named Bear. They were like, "Bear's not outside, he's sleeping by that chair." ... by the time we got past the Laurel and Hardy routine and got cameras to go see the actual bear, he was gone down the mountain...

For the next several minutes we heard shouting and excitement as he went past other cabins on his way. That was kinda funny...

-rvb

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I watched everyone jump outta their cars on the loop to chase a bear and get pics one evening. It was all good till the bear stood up and started heading back twords them. Never seen people back peddling so fast in all my life. Wild animals will kill you people.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cases Cove is just a tourist trap for newbies. 1 guy stops traffic and you're there for an hour while he gets his jollies. Not to mention on a bike you'll smoke your clutch.
    If you MUST go take 4wd and take Rich mtn rd. It's at the far end of CC and will kick you out on us129.
    I went through Cade's Cove probably 20 years ago, driving a little Nissan pickup with a clutch. I thought my left leg was going to fall off by the time we got out of there from all the stop and go traffic.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You still think I was a bear??!! I'm not even hairy like that.

Thank goodness there were no cell phone camera's at that time...Every time I see a "Darwin Award" video posted somewhere I get nervous I'll hit the link and see my scrawny hillbilly ass hightailing it with that sow in hot pursuit...Like I said, if there hadn't been a hundred people that scattered like a covey of quail when she charged I might have gotten banged up pretty good....

Top Bottom