• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have heard that using Calcium Hypochlorite (ie. Pool Shock is one brand) works better than using liquid bleach to treat water. More info here:
    Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water | Ready Nutrition

My question is has anyone use this method?
    Where can I buy Calcium Hypochlorite? I have read that the various "Calcium Hypochlorite" products you can get at swimming pool stores actually have other chemicals as well in the mix so help "preserve" the Calcium Hypochlorite.

So any clue what brand is just 100% Calcium Hypochlorite? Or where I can get 100% Calcium Hypochlorite with no other add-ons?

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    If your disinfecting a small amount of water your talking drops instead of pounds. Liquid chlorine would be much easier to judge amounts. Liquid chlorine is sodium hypochlorite. You can find it at many swimming pool stores, Walmart or hardware store. The only reason I can see it being more effective is because it is stronger than your normal household bleach.

There are always "fillers" in your powder (granular) chlorine so you will never get 100%. One "filler" that you speak of to assist the chlorine in stabilizing is cyanuric acid. It's used to help prevent the breakdown of chlorine due to UV light and such. As far as disinfecting drinking water, I don't think it would be beneficial to have the stabilized benefit over the ease of judging the amounts of liquid chlorine.

You can, however, find chlorine tabs that are up to 99% chlorine but still not 100%. It would be virtually impossible to judge the amount added. You would have to break an 8 ounce tab into smaller chunks unless you are sanitizing 10k gallons at a time. Mixing good each time would be wise due to chlorine being heavier than water.

I'm no scientist but own a swimming pool company. Hope I have helped and not made matters worse! :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If your disinfecting a small amount of water your talking drops instead of pounds. Liquid chlorine would be much easier to judge amounts. Liquid chlorine is sodium hypochlorite. You can find it at many swimming pool stores, Walmart or hardware store. The only reason I can see it being more effective is because it is stronger than your normal household bleach.

There are always "fillers" in your powder (granular) chlorine so you will never get 100%. One "filler" that you speak of to assist the chlorine in stabilizing is cyanuric acid. It's used to help prevent the breakdown of chlorine due to UV light and such. As far as disinfecting drinking water, I don't think it would be beneficial to have the stabilized benefit over the ease of judging the amounts of liquid chlorine.

You can, however, find chlorine tabs that are up to 99% chlorine but still not 100%. It would be virtually impossible to judge the amount added. You would have to break an 8 ounce tab into smaller chunks unless you are sanitizing 10k gallons at a time. Mixing good each time would be wise due to chlorine being heavier than water.

I'm no scientist but own a swimming pool company. Hope I have helped and not made matters worse! :)

Thanks the issue with bleach is that it is not good for long term shortage and thus why I was looking at the "powder" route since it has a more long term storage.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Walmart, you are talking about a grain or two to make water potable.

Store it properly, mixed with some common things found in your garage self ignites it into a fireball.

thompbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Jun 9, 2010

Not true. Cyanuric acid only appears in stabilized chlorine, which is generally tablets or dichlor/trichlor. Calcium hypochlorite (Power Powder at Leslie Pool Supply) is unstabilized, and so has no cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid stabilizes the chlorine against UV exposure, so is only used in outdoor pools.

Top Bottom