• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It is an interesting intellectual exercise but not something that I would worry much about.

Since we are being intellectual . I could live my whole life with .22 LR, 9mm and 12 gauge. .308 as a fourth option.

As I have said before, every good American should own an AR-15 in .556 with a pile of magazines. I could live my life without one of those however. But in the interest of keeping the peace I own one.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    This discussion (not that I’m trying to end it) has definitely given me some helpful things to think about, like how platforms play into this, how you may not need 2k+ rounds of ammo for a caliber that you have one gun for and rarely shoot, how suppression factors in, and even how it can be ok to own something that’s fun/cool and doesn’t have a real purpose.

I tend to be “all or nothing” about lots of things in life and that can be a bit much, as it has become with this hobby at times. I appreciate the discussion, so keep it rolling, but it’s already been helpful for me to hear what everyone has to say.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    7.62x39 has gone up in price quite a bit. Cheapest is 37 cents a round on Ammoseek, vs 40 cents a round for the cheapest 300 BLK.

I have both 7.62x39 and 300 BLK, but thinking about getting rid of my 1 AK and selling the ammo to just stick with 300 BLK. Really don't need 300 BLK for anything, but if I can get .30 caliber AK performance by swapping an upper on my AR, why not? I enjoy shooting 300 BLK more than my 5.56 ARs, it's not as blasty. Especially with a 10.5" upper. But if I had to get rid of 300 BLK, 5.56 does everything that I might need to do with a carbine.
    I tried 300 during covid, but there was so little ammo available I could never find the right combo to work with the ar15 I had at the time. Rather than butting my head against the wall, I built an ar15 in 762x39 and bought up whatever of that ammo I could find.

In the post-Russian ban era, I tend to agree. 762x39 might dry up at some point here. But I can still consistently find steel FMJ at LGS around here for decent prices. I've got enough surplus to hold that day off for a little while longer. Eventually though I might be forced to find totally domestic production of ammo; in that day 762x39 will be more expensive and less available.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Interesting topic. I’ve always tried to keep it pretty simple, but over time, it gets more complicated.

I break it down like this.

Calibers I stock. Ammo is bought in cases. These get shot a lot.
    .22lr
    9mm
    .45acp

Pocket guns. Ammo is bought in boxes. Shot once or twice a year.
    .38spl

Cowboy guns/antiques. Ammo is also in boxes
    32-20
    .32 Winchester special
    .45LC
    .22 short

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Doesn't sounds like you've got too much consolidating to do, I'm sure most INGO members have a far longer list of calibers they own. :)

That being said, I am in the camp of having fewer calibers myself. There are a few that I think you could get rid of without losing too much versatility, which I'll list below, with my reasoning for each:

1 - .50 AE - I don't think this needs much explanation, as it sounds like your already aware with the "I know" comment. :)

2 - 7.62x39 and/or 300 Blackout - Speaking only of supersonic 300 blackout, these two rounds are extremely similar in ballistics and in what they can achieve. With 7.62x39 you generally speaking gain cheaper ammo, a larger number of firearms already out there that are chambered for it, and slightly better ballistics out of a full-length barrel, assuming you can get good quality ammo. With 300 blackout you gain the ability to easily switch to super quiet subsonic rounds, assuming you have a suppressor, and also the ability to go with a much shorter barrel length before you really start to notice your muzzle velocity falling off. If you have a 30 cal suppressor, I'd stick with 300 BO just to have the easy option of running super quiet subs, and ditch 7.62x39 since 300 blackout can basically achieve the same performance with supersonic rounds. But if you don't have a suppressor or aren't interested in running subs, just stick with 7.62x39 since the ammo is super cheap and there's already a ton of it out there. Or, you can just get rid of both; 223 really fills the same role, without a huge drop in performance at close range, and the added benefit of a flatter trajectory if you start to have to reach out there. And if you think you need more punch than the 223 can deliver, just grab the 308.

3 - 450 Bushmaster - At relatively close range it's definitely a harder-hitting round than 308, but unless you plan on hunting a critter that's larger than anything we have here in Indiana, that extra power is likely to just be overkill.

These are the calibers I would absolutely keep, no matter what, if I were you:

Rifle
    .22LR - Perfect for varmints. Also, in a survival situation you can carry a ton of it, and it can even technically take larger game if you can get up close and take head shots. Not something you ever want to be using it for, but if you actually reach a point where it's hunt or starve, having a load of 22lr on you is probably going to be your best bet.

.223/5.56 - Seems to be in the goldilocks zone for rifle cartridges. The recoil is quite mild, it's a relatively light round, easy to have high capacity in a small package, powerful enough for self-defense and even hunting larger game, even if not quite ideal. Tons of firearms are chambered in it, it's readily available, cheap, etc.

.308 Winchester - Also an extremely common round. If you want to set out to hunt deer, this seems to be about the best cartridge you can find for having just right amount of power out to 300 yards. Plus it can be a more authoritative option as a self-defense cartridge than 223.

Pistol
    9mm - Seems to be the goldilocks round for handguns, like the 223 is for rifles. Plus there's a ton of it out there, it's cheap, etc.

Shotgun
    12 gauge - You can't ask for much better versatility in a firearm. I don't think there's an animal in this state that you can't get an effective hunting load for. Yes, you'll be limited to relatively close-range engagements, but with buckshot or slugs 12ga can actually be quite effective as a self-defense option, even out to 100 yards and a bit beyond.
    This is great selection. All handy, nothing that can't be reloaded, and modern thinking. I would add the 357 mag/38 spec option as you can easily carry a snubbie anywhere. Or even as a backup to a 9mm, as they are great belt carry guns(9mm with 15 rd mags is good start). Quite a few guys mix a revolver and semi auto to stay current is skillset on range day. Also a hand off to a partner if the SHTF leaves him unarmed.
    Well done!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    .22 Short
    .22 LR
    .223/5.56
    30 Carbine
    303 Brit
    .30-30
    .300BO
    .38-55
    .45-70
    8mm Mauser
    7.62X39. dang it! FORGOT THAT ONE TOO!
    .357 Mag
    .44 Mag
    .38 Special
    .44 Special
    9mm
    .45ACP
    .45 Colt! I forgot that one! EDIT

I'm missing some, I believe.
    Nope, not slimming down.
    The struggle is real...
    .22LR
    .25 ACP
    7.62x38r
    .380 ACP
    9 Parabellum
    .38 S&W
    .38 Special
    .357 Magnum
    .44 Round Ball
    .451 Round Ball
    .41 Magnum
    .45 ACP
    .223 Remington
    7.35x51 Carcano
    .30 Carbine
    .30 of ought six
    .303 British
    7.5x54 French
    7.62x54r
    7.62x39
    7.7x58 Arisaka
    7.92x57 Mauser
    8x56r
    .45-70
    20 Gauge
    12 Gauge

I did recently gift my Dad's .44 Magnum Winchester '94 to my stepson which got me out of .44 Mag altogether.

I do plan on unloading a Saiga 20 that is collecting dust which will get me out of 20 ga.

I really don't see the others going anywhere anytime soon.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Funny what our ancestors were able to do with just a few calibers.
    We are in a generation of lots of stuff, in every sector.

A well armed man a few generations ago would be a rifle, shotgun and revolver. Now we look at dozens. Almost everyone of us has a safe that would have been big enough for a small town Police department.

A well equipped guitar player used to be one electric and one acoustic. Even my bluegrass buddies that don't believe in electric guitars have multiple acoustics.

A really lucky kid when I was growing up had one Louisville slugger, a ball and a glove.
    Now they make backpacks that every kid brings 2 or 3 aluminium bats, a 1/2 dozen balls and a couple gloves, and a batting helmet.

My wife has multiple tennis rackets.

We just have a lot of stuff.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Mine is all based on what I am comfortable reloading with two exceptions: .22LR and 5.56.
    I will not be reloading either those. Instead, I stockpile them when on sale.

Rifle:
    • .22LR
    • .223/5.56
    • .300BLK (reload both subs and supers)
    • -->Might add .350 Legend (super easy to reload straight walls and easy to build upper)
    Pistol:
    • .22LR
    • 9 mm (reload subs and supers)
    • .40 S&W (no reloading planned)
    • .44MAG (reload)
    • .45ACP (reload)
    Shotgun:
    • 12g (Will start reloading these early next year)

For the most part, I am keeping to common calibers that are easy to reload.
    I have several 9mm, a couple of 45ACP, and a couple of 44Mag (one is a wheel gun).

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I never thought about reducing the number of cartridges. I know that some pick certain guns so they limit the number of cartridges they have. I usually pick my firearm/cartridge combo based on a competition or purpose I need/want. Below is a list of my cartridges. I do reload for all these CF cartridges, though. About 87 different loads. Granted, I haven't used some of them in a while. Have not been hunting or shot silhouette in quite a while, so some of those guns may need to go at some point.

Handguns
    22LR
    .380 auto
    9X18
    9 MM
    38 S&W
    38 Special
    38 Super
    357 MAG
    Centimeter (pre 40 S&W)
    10 MM
    44 MAG