• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Bangor
    I heard that you guys have a restrictions on case length for cartridges for hunting deer in your state. I was wondering what was the thought behind this?
    We can use pretty much anything but a .22 here in maine.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Bangor
    We have antiquated cartridge restrictions. We can use rifle caliber in pistol, and pistol caliber in rifles...with some exceptions.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

Thanks for the link, Very interesting information, ... So am wondering how much of a stink would it cause if someone came along with a 35 caliber cartridge, that fit the restrictions, around 180 to 200 grains, travelling 2400 fps or so with an AR upper and a bolt gun to shoot it? Also would there be any interest with hunters to use it, or is evey one ok with what they have?

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    There have been many threads about increasing legal calibers. I'm not sure exactly what those guys want. We can use 458 Socom and 450 Bushmaster in AR platforms now. I'm mainly a bow hunter so I don't really care much about adding more calibers and I don't really see the need for it other than novelty.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I use a 12g slug gun. If I can hit 'em, it'll kill 'em.

I agree with ViperJock, besides the novelty, I don't really see a reason for more calibers...unless you want to argue the fact that .gov should just stay out of it all together and let me kill it however I see fit.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I use a 12g slug gun. If I can hit 'em, it'll kill 'em.

I agree with ViperJock, besides the novelty, I don't really see a reason for more calibers...unless you want to argue the fact that .gov should just stay out of it all together and let me kill it however I see fit.
    I agree to a point, but I am 100% for conservation rules and regs...otherwise we might actually hunt some stuff to extinction.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I agree to a point, but I am 100% for conservation rules and regs...otherwise we might actually hunt some stuff to extinction.

I'm with you on the rules and regs. My statement was merely for the certain INGOers who will argue that what they do and how they do it is no concern of Uncle Sam. I wasn't saying that I necessarily believe that.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the link, Very interesting information, ... So am wondering how much of a stink would it cause if someone came along with a 35 caliber cartridge, that fit the restrictions, around 180 to 200 grains, travelling 2400 fps or so with an AR upper and a bolt gun to shoot it? Also would there be any interest with hunters to use it, or is evey one ok with what they have?

Welcome but you're a little late to the party. Some folks already make the .358 WSSM, .358 Hoosier, and a bunch of other wildcats that are Indiana legal for deer hunting and can be used in an AR-15 or AR-10 platform. My issue is that yes, if you have the money and time, you can use a "high-powered" rifle that rivals a 30-06 or better. (The .358 WSSM equals the .35 Whelen.) But if you're a common Joe and want to use granddad's old 30-30, .45-70, .444 Marlin, and a whole slew of other commonly found, less powerful, less long distance weapons, its a no-go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Bangor
    Hmmm...ok I hear what your saying. But I was thinking that if the regular guy was looking for something that was effective,easy,comfortable to shoot, and cost effective in a 30 something caliber, it didnt look like there was much for options. I also wonder isnt the 45 caliber rounds a bit of an over kill on deer? Unless you guys have really big deer. Also as far as hunting to extinction, what is the rules on how many does and bucks you can take in a season in your area?

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Hmmm...ok I hear what your saying. But I was thinking that if the regular guy was looking for something that was effective,easy,comfortable to shoot, and cost effective in a 30 something caliber, it didnt look like there was much for options. I also wonder isnt the 45 caliber rounds a bit of an over kill on deer? Unless you guys have really big deer. Also as far as hunting to extinction, what is the rules on how many does and bucks you can take in a season in your area?
    a 12 guage is massive overkill its just to get around the laws, i dont see why we cant use 30-30s and 308s since we can use them against anything else like coyotes i use a ak( with soft points of course) against them so why cant i use it against deer?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It will come around in time. Lots of flat land here in Indiana and they are worried about range and safety.

maybe 7mm mag should not be deer legal here. Where do you draw a line. Not really up to me but I would like to see a few of the old time under 35 cal rifles included. How many 30-30's just sit in the safe here in the state. My 357 max hand loaded is legal and range is better than 30-30. 358 Hoosier legal 308 not legal.

At at least my shoulder feels better since I stopped using my slug gun. 30 years of pushing the limits with the slug gun was enough.

In the last 30 years my average shot has been 39 yards and that includes last years buck shot at 125 so those numbers went up from 30 some to 39. Three years in a row I got them 3 corn rows away. So feet not yards. The farmer now always has the corn harvested before firearms season.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    It will come around in time. Lots of flat land here in Indiana and they are worried about range and safety.

As has been discussed in the bazillion other threads...there's plenty of flat land in other states that allow traditional centerfire rifles and they don't have public safety issues like some fatalists seem to think Indiana is destined to experience.

In Kentucky, you can hunt deer with anything 22 centerfire or bigger...there are no issues with fools blasting away at herds with ARs and 30 round magazines (KY has a 10rd magazine limit) or stray bullets traveling miles upon miles and killing innocent people. Additionally, the last two deer I've killed there prove a 223 is plenty effective medicine for a whitetail if you put a quality bullet where it needs to go though I understand some states' 6mm minimum.

There seems to be a healthy amount of "Well *I* don't want to use that, so I don't understand why anybody else would or should either" going around INGO on this topic.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I see our restrictions as stupid. 300blk is a PRIME example. The difference between a 10.5" barrel and a 14.7" pinned FH barrel are pretty negligable.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    As has been discussed in the bazillion other threads...there's plenty of flat land in other states that allow traditional centerfire rifles and they don't have public safety issues like some fatalists seem to think Indiana is destined to experience.

In Kentucky, you can hunt deer with anything 22 centerfire or bigger...there are no issues with fools blasting away at herds with ARs and 30 round magazines (KY has a 10rd magazine limit) or stray bullets traveling miles upon miles and killing innocent people. Additionally, the last two deer I've killed there prove a 223 is plenty effective medicine for a whitetail if you put a quality bullet where it needs to go though I understand some states' 6mm minimum.

There seems to be a healthy amount of "Well *I* don't want to use that, so I don't understand why anybody else would or should either" going around INGO on this topic.
    223 is way underrated ive never seen anything hit well with it not go down anyway. and i dont get the "well i use a a slug gun why do you want use a 308" duh cause i have one. and since most people hunt from a stand the rounds are going toward the ground anyways

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Youve never been whitetail hunting in the midwest have you? Yes...They are REALLY BIG! :rockwoot: We can use a .35 remington (which is what I am using this coming deer season). But the .35 remington has to be trimmed down to 1.8" or less overall CASE length to comply with the DNR regs of IN.

Last edited:

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    No.

The 1.800" restriction pertains to the cartridge CASE. I'm sure you knew that since you are loading for a short 35 Rem., just didn't want to leave that error unaddressed for others who may get confused.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    No.

The 1.800" restriction pertains to the cartridge CASE. I'm sure you knew that since you are loading for a short 35 Rem., just didn't want to leave that error unaddressed for others who may get confused.
    Absolutely. I mispoke. I meant the brass of course. WOuldnt quite make much sense to trim down a loaded cartridge. You would look kinda funny trimming on the projectile. Wouldnt be real funny at all all if the pressures skyrocketed because the projectile weight was lowered.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    It seems to me it has nothing to do with safety. You can legally (although you shouldn't) shoot at a squirrel up in a tree with a .50 cal. You can sit in a deer stand and shoot at coyotes all day long with ANYTHING. A deer walks by and it's back to the other cartridges.

I grew up hunting in PA and some counties were shotgun only. FOR EVERYTHING. Because of the density of houses and everything around. That makes sense.

But, to have some game certain calibers and other game in the same area unrestricted, it's not safety, it's just a mess of weird regulations.

I have been knocking them down each year with a 12 but i'd like to find an old 336 in .35 Rem and start trying that.

Top Bottom