Caliber/Rifle choice for Saskachewan black bear ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    A friend talked me into signing up for a black bear hunt in Saskatchewan during late summer (August). I am told the camp is bow/muzzleloader/rifle friendly.

I've been on a black bear hunt several years ago in Quebec and harvested a 225 boar with a Mathews Q2XL. However, I was younger and more foolish then and may be second guessing that weapon of choice.

So, I have a firearms choice of the following:

Kimber American .308 bolt action
    Savage 114 .270 bolt action
    Remington .50 Caliber muzzleloader
    Ruger .44 caliber bolt action

I am told the bow stands will be at 20 yards and the gun stands will be located about 100 yards. Factors include the .270 is flat shooting, the .308 only has a carrying weight of 6.2 lbs, the .44 has pretty substantial drop after 100 yards as does the muzzleloader. I doubt that I'll do any cartridge handloading and just use factory stuff.

Perhaps the .308 and .270 are more about cartridge choice (manufacturer and ballistic coefficient). But that may also be true of the .44 and the muzzleloader now that I think about it.

Perhaps a survey of which gun to take and why ?

Supplemental question: Can I use a Thermacell without causing odor problem ? I've not used one before.

Thanks in advance

amboy49

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    .308 would be my choice. Great selection of factory ammo. Unless you can get a Barrett .50, I'd stick with your Kimber.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    .50 cal muzzleloader would be a great choice at close range with magnum load. Actually I think any of your listed choices would work. The only one I would personally shy away from for black bear would be the 44 mag.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The 84M is the better rifle by a long ways. By design it will best fend rigors of a hunt, even with the blue/wood combo.

308 Win also bests 270 Win via greater factory load options. I'd be looking for something topped with a 150 TTSX or 168 TSX. If the range warranted, and it doesn't, 155 Scenar.

Having never hunted with one I can't comment on the Thermacell, other than to suggest keeping a can of DEET handy when it doesn't work. Have has fishing partners tote them along and they did little good. I also haven't hunted bears out of fixed camps but can report that even the ones that spend their time deep in the bush, aren't much spooked by evidence of people. Baby blackies are skittish though...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Since the 44 is a bolt action not a lever I would go with the kimber also. Black bears over bait you need a good first shot and might have to thread the needle around a tree Limb ECT.

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    I would probably choose the .308. I took my Sasketchewan black bear a few years back with a 7mm. We were also expecting our bait sites to be a 100 yards, but they all ended up being around 20 yds. I had no issues with the 7mm @ 20 yds, lol! I have used my Thermacell while deer hunting, for several years, and have had great success with no adverse effects. If I remember correctly, I was told NOT to aim at the front shoulder on a black bear, the bone is too heavy. Aim behind it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Another vote for .308. I'd use loads with Barnes TSX bullets, though. They'll rip right through a big bear, or just about anything else. That bullet is all I hunt with, with the exception of very small game. They are very accurate, too, in every brand of ammo I've experienced with them.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I would go with the 308 as well. You have good range options, reload if needed and plenty of power. 44 mag may not suit it and if you miss you have a reload issue with your muzzleloader.

Top Bottom