• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok after hearing this one that one its too small, oh yeah shot placement means not a thing with that caliber. So I go to thinking just for fun I took out my Henry lever action 22lr and shot at some 223 cases sitting on the shelf of my range. I layed them on their side and shot at the base of them from about 75 feet a way. What shocked me more than me actually hitting the cases was the fact that the little 22lr drove the 223 case all the way into the back board of my shelf which is made of two layers of 1/2 hardwood! Not that I expect the hardwood to serve as a back stop as it is just there built into the front of the berm so that I can set things up on the shelf and have them stay put for targer practice. But Still it got me to thinking that there must be a lot of arm chair quarterbacking going on about this or that caliber.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    So What's your point, are you going to shoot some 22lr cases with 223 now?

Or are you saying 22lr has more punch than thought?. Well that's true, sometimes people don't give the 22lr enough credit.

Getting too involved in a Caliber discussion is mostly pointless, People won't give up on their favorite XXXX, Facts don't mean a thing. It's best not to get involved in a 9/40/45 thread or a 223/308 debate. Somebody is going to scenario themselves into a "winning" argument. And once the scenario's start someone can talk themselves into need 50 bmg for deer or a 410 slug

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All handguns should be 1911s and all 1911s should be 40S&W. I saw a YouTube video on the internet so it must be true.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Or are you saying 22lr has more punch than thought?. Well that's true, sometimes people don't give the 22lr enough credit

Yes that was my point exactly. I was really surprised it would do that. The only thing that surprised me more was that I was able to hit them consistently at that distance with iron sights. Yeah I love my Henry.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't think any educated person would say a 22 LR is not a lethal cartridge. My son and I collect firearms and have over 32 different calibers. However most (obviously not all) 22 LR caliber fatalities are from bleeding internally and do take a while to stop a person from attacking or continuing to do bad things. It would in my opinion be the caliber I chose right before my Pellet gun and a 25 cal...... The opinion that placement is more important than the ammo used is a ridiculous argument. Any shot placement where a 22 cal is effective (eye, back of the head etc.) is also effective with a larger, more powerful round, BUT many powerful cartridges are immediately effective in areas where a small caliber, lower power round would just tick off a BG, or where the wound may cause fatality several hours later.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... just for fun I took out my Henry lever action 22lr and shot at some 223 cases ...

The .22 LR cartridge shot out of a rifle-length barrel is a completely different ballistic animal than the same cartridge fired out of a pocket pistol.

.22 LR out of a rifle is nothing to sneeze at.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I use only green tip 22LR for hog hunting. The armor piercingness of the green tip takes it through the cement wall in front of the hog and the penetrates deep into the cranium. I once brought down 3 his with the same bullet. I just used some needle nose pliers to pull it out of the ar 500 steel it had lodged in and reloaded it. You don't need anything bigger on the North American continent.

A while ago I did a range report about using large calibers (380 ACP) to take Giraffe and Rhino.

Top Bottom