California can share gun owners' personal information with researchers, appeals court rules

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A state appeals court ruled that California can continue providing personal information of gun owners to researchers to study gun violence, reversing last year's decision by a lower court judge who said such data sharing violates privacy rights.

In 2021, Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a law allowing the state's Department of Justice to share identifying information of more than 4 million gun owners in California with qualified research institutions to help them better study gun violence, accidents and suicides. The information — which the state collects with every firearm sale to perform background checks — include names, addresses, phone numbers, and any criminal records, among other things. Under the law, researchers can use the information and make their findings public, but can't release any identifying information of gun owners.

In response, gun owners and organizations sued the state, arguing that the disclosure of their information violates their privacy rights. San Diego County Superior Court Judge Katherine Bacal ruled to temporarily block the law last October.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

Article 1 Section 1 California Constitution.

An explicit right to privacy apparently doesn't matter when it's time to put gun owners on lists.

Never forget that leftists acknowledge no rights for anyone but themselves.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Article 1 Section 1 California Constitution.

An explicit right to privacy apparently doesn't matter when it's time to put gun owners on lists.

Never forget that leftists acknowledge no rights for anyone but themselves.
    I was going to say, I thought CA had some of the strictest laws in the country regarding privacy. Apparently that's only applicable when the state is limiting others and not themselves.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    It's wild to me that anyone believes registered gun owners are the main cause for gun violence. I think this is a ruse, so that when crime goes up, they can blame it on law abiding citizens, to introduce more legislature

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It's wild to me that anyone believes registered gun owners are the main cause for gun violence. I think this is a ruse, so that when crime goes up, they can blame it on law abiding citizens, to introduce more legislature
    IIRC the vast majority 90%ish of gun crime is by those who are already prohibited from owning guns.

On a side note anyone remember when you could get a CD with name, address and dob of every LTCH holder for something like $20? A newspaper put it online. Legislature quickly removed it from info covered by APRA.

Top Bottom