• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval | news10.net

California still grapples with an ugly past: Under compulsory sterilization laws here and in 31 other states, minority groups, the poor, the disabled, the mentally ill and criminals were singled out as inferior and sterilized to prevent them from spreading their genes. It was known as eugenics.

Between 1909 and 1964, about 20,000 women and men in California were stripped of the ability to reproduce - making the state the nation's most prolific sterilizer. Historians say Nazi Germany sought the advice of the state's eugenics leaders in the 1930s.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I for one will NEVER be on board with ANY state having the power to per se deny reproduction. No matter how rosy hue'd you make the perfect society, there is no human who I would ever trust with the power to make that judgement.

Joe

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I for one will NEVER be on board with ANY state having the power to per se deny reproduction. No matter how rosy hue'd you make the perfect society, there is no human who I would ever trust with the power to make that judgement.

Joe

I agree completely. But we can dream can't we?:dunno:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Some people should not reproduce because they are nothing but a burdon on society, both financially and criminally. Unfortunately, these are the people reproducing the most by far! The reasons are obvious: 1) They dont work, so they spend way too much time seeking nothimng but pleasure, and 2) They lack self control. Their offspring is almost guaranteed to be even worse, due to poor parenting on top of bad genetics.

I definitely think all violent felons should be sterilized. I also think the mentally ill should be sterilized, but youre right, it shouldnt be decided arbitrarily--it should be dependent upon the behavior of the indivual that triggers sterilization as a result. Certain crimes like child molestestation, should result in immediate removal from the gene pool. Requiring sterilizarion as a prerequisite for food stamps would put the choice in the hands of the individual entirely, and might be the one thing short of elimimating all government handouts that will prevent societal collapse into "idiocracy"--if it is not already too late.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    that will prevent societal collapse into "idiocracy"--if it is not already too late.

Hmmm, I'm a gonna go wit to late...

images

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If people are going to assert a right to reproduce, they had better be in a position to support their offspring without society's "help".

As long as they are going to be at the government teat, then they don't have a right to breed like feral cats.

Goes for men and women both.

Not targeting any group, except those who view their reproductive organs as a gravy train to get on all the entitlements.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So some bureaucrat didn't sign off on the decisions of the patient and her doctor and some here weep at the loss of liberty? Really? Sounds to me this program needs to go nationwide. Why restrict to just penal institutions? Heck give everyone on government assistance the sales pitch. And to answer the woman's question. Yes if you have 6-7 children by different men, you are a bad mother.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    This is not a new topic although an interesting one, a person doesn't have to look all the way to CA. Indiana was major player in eugenics also. I think I heard a figure of 60k procedures.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I wonder if the group behind the articles on this would say that the women would have had to have State approval if they were requesting abortions, rather than tubal ligations? Haven't seen any reference to that in the article yet...still reading.

Dorothy Roberts, a University of Pennsylvania law professor and expert on sterilization, said courts have concluded that soliciting approval for sterilization during labor is coercive because pain and discomfort can impair a woman’s ability to weigh the decision.

So can a woman consent to a (late-term) abortion? Sounds like this law prof would say no. (Whether said woman is in prison or not.) So women have freedom of choice, except when biology intervenes and they're not free to choose? Or some critical reproductive choices are not influenced by pain and discomfort, but others are?

:n00b:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom