• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I was just thinking, what if you're going to meet people someplace that you haven't been to yet so you don't know their policy for OC. Would calling ahead be a good idea?

Then there is the issue of what if some people that will be in the group either don't already know you carry or you're not sure how they will react. Best to just conceal or would OC provide an opportunity to educate them? Does the answer change if the group has coworkers?

I've had no problems with OC yet. Walgreens, Burger King, Wendys, Meijers a Shell gas station, walking through Hammond. I'll be in a Walmart soon to see how that goes.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I wouldn't call ahead. I would think it would bring more attention to you. Not that OC doesn't, but most don't notice.

We have OC get togethers and don't call ahead. We never have problems.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Around people I do not know, I would CC only.

Just remember the Political Climate in our Country right now. Many people do not care what is happening right in front of them or worry about things they can not see or know about.

This is how Obama and Pelosi work so it should work for you. Right?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I was just thinking, what if you're going to meet people someplace that you haven't been to yet so you don't know their policy for OC. Would calling ahead be a good idea?

Then there is the issue of what if some people that will be in the group either don't already know you carry or you're not sure how they will react. Best to just conceal or would OC provide an opportunity to educate them? Does the answer change if the group has coworkers?

I've had no problems with OC yet. Walgreens, Burger King, Wendys, Meijers a Shell gas station, walking through Hammond. I'll be in a Walmart soon to see how that goes.

Yes OC to educate people. Depending on where you work coworkers could be a slippery slope.

As VN Vet said, remember the climate we are in. All the more reason to OC. Educate them on what they would not hear otherwise from the likes of Obama and Pelosi.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I don't think it could hurt anything to call ahead. I'm a big fan of OC but there are circumstances where you just don't want asked to leave such as meeting people like you say. You may cover up or look into their policy. As far as people knowing that you carry I wouldn't worry about it. If you OC there is at least some degree in which you are making a statement that carrying is ok and is your right. Besides its "tactical" advantages OC can be a great way to talk about these issues. It's even easier to discuss them with friends and family then total strangers.

So to answer your question, sure call ahead to check their policy and cover up if they're anti-gun. Although if you OC long enough you will know the policies of most places in your area. I would OC no matter who I was meeting.

Anderson IN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Call ahead only if you are going to ask if they allow you to drive with a drivers license, drink alcohol when over 21, accept your marriage license, and any other right/law that they might not know or agree with.....get the point? Why ask for something that is your RIGHT?

Do you really think that someone is going to say "Oh, yes please do come and educate me on something I know nothing about."

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    NEVER.

If they are anti-gun... why would you want to eat there #1 and #2 do you really think the twit answering the phone is going to have any idea what you are talking about?

Don't do it. Just show up. If they have a problem, let the owner/manager SEE the money walking out the door.

FYI I've never had any restaurant tell me to leave or cover up. Economic times are tough. Most owners/managers don't want to run off a dwindling customer base.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you are going to OC "to educate them" then know what the F you are talking about and have the nerve to carry it off. Nothing looks dumber than green horns strutting their "educating them" like they are Charlton Heston reincarnated while they mock back a thread they read on the internet only to be bluffed back in a corner by some teenie bopper behind a counter. All that "I'm educating THEM" and then suddenly they ned to call their "friend" to make sure of something... blah blah blah, I caved in, covered up or sulked back out to the car. And don't act like a dumbarse after you've self appointed your self to "represent and educate" on behalf of all gun owners.

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would think calling ahead would probably cause more trouble than not. I could only imagine how that phone call would go...

GO (gun owner): Hi, I'm calling to see what your policy is on firearms on your premise?
    Employee: Excuse me?
    GO: I'm a gun owner and have my permit, I want to know what rules you have against carrying in your establishment.
    Employee: Carrying what?
    GO: My firearm.
    Employee: A gun?
    GO: Yes.
    Employee: I'm going to have to get my manager...

Then you hear off the phone "Hey Bob, some guy is on the phone saying he has a gun and is going to rob the place".

Sorry, I'm a bit pessimistic about calling ahead and getting some goon who has no clue.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Thanks for all the input. I think a good point was made about how the phone conversation would go, so yeah, not going to do that. I'll have to think about whether I would CC or OC if it was meeting coworkers. I'm tempted to OC like I've been doing lately because hey, it's my right.

Top Bottom