• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The only reason I have a land line is for the cable TV and internet service. The cable also provides phone service, and I pay for it simply because it allows me to call my Canadian relatives for free - otherwise I wouldn't even have a land line. I don't even really need the land line for the alarm system anymore, as it has cellular back up. I know a few people who have eliminated their land lines without issue.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When they explain to me how to keep a landline on my bicycle then I will not use my cell phone if I either need assistance or see someone who does.

I know the title says not always a good idea, just had to say the above. :D

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    There's some serious BS in that article in suggesting that cell phones hit the GPS satellites. While I'm sure there are exceptions available, the vast majority of cell phones "GPS" is actually triangulated position from cell towers, NOT information from the GPS satellites. Those triangulations are based on calculating distance from the time of signal travel between the tower and phone, and when the signals bounce around walls that does throw off the data. But, inside a house, it's no less accurate the calling on a cordless handset connected to your land line. Not to mention that the newest phones will typically switch their location finding functions to WiFi when inside a house.

Long and short: If you need to call 911, just call it. It's not the time to be worrying about intricate differences in technology between phone types.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We get incomplete cell phone 911 calls ALL THE TIME. They give us a "best guess" address which is never a legit address. It is a very rare case when we actually find the person calling 911 and hanging up on a cellphone. TV shows are BS, if you think we can track your phone if you call 911 and hang up or not able to tell us your address, you are dangerously wrong. Of course the technology exists, just not cost effective to equip Communications with it. We have to bring it in from out of town if there is a cell phone we want to track.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    It's interesting to note, as I'm sure the dispatchers here know all too well, how many of these calls get routed to the wrong call centers. We have a scanner going 24/7 at our home and it's eye opening how many 911 incomplete calls are never located.
    Many of these are relayed from nearby localities, often across the river in Ky.
    Bottom line is regardless of how you call your odds of getting timely help are vastly improved if you can give your address.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It's interesting to note, as I'm sure the dispatchers here know all too well, how many of these calls get routed to the wrong call centers. We have a scanner going 24/7 at our home and it's eye opening how many 911 incomplete calls are never located.
    Many of these are relayed from nearby localities, often across the river in Ky.
    Bottom line is regardless of how you call your odds of getting timely help are vastly improved if you can give your address.

I can't believe how long it took for this to be stated. Just tell the dispatch where you are!

Rep'd

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We get incomplete cell phone 911 calls ALL THE TIME. They give us a "best guess" address which is never a legit address. It is a very rare case when we actually find the person calling 911 and hanging up on a cellphone.

Well sir I happen to know that Chloe was ALWAYS able to get Jack Bauer an address within 10 seconds so I must respectfully disagree.....:rolleyes::):

Maybe if your dispatcher chewed her lips real hard and banged real hard on the keys like they do on TV that would help????:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When they explain to me how to keep a landline on my bicycle then I will not use my cell phone if I either need assistance or see someone who does.

I know the title says not always a good idea, just had to say the above. :D

Long cord... Really, really, really long cord...

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    State the address / location immediately when the Dispatcher answers. At least you'll know the 'cavalry' is on the way. Don't bother with anything else until you've gotten out that location.

I wholeheartedly disagree that it's not 'cost effective', as the ability to locate and provide assistance to the citizenry is the primary function of police and fire services. If need be, start cutting salaries, etc. for those top City / County / State jobs to 'find' the money. The funds are most likely there, they're just being used for some political b.s.

There should be NO Indiana government employees making over $100,000 / year. NONE. Start digging into those pockets and budgets of those fat-cats, and that technology will 'suddenly' become immensely affordable.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    New smart phones actually activate your GPS when the 911 call is initiated. It will then lock out your phone allowing no other calls or data connection from 5 minutes after the call, nor will it allow the phone to be turned off. With most phones going to built in batteries you can't even pull the battery to kill the connection.

The biggest issue with Cells happens on Interstates where you could be hitting a tower 15 miles away in another jurisdiction. Always give a location first, even if only a mile marker.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    New smart phones actually activate your GPS when the 911 call is initiated. It will then lock out your phone allowing no other calls or data connection from 5 minutes after the call, nor will it allow the phone to be turned off. With most phones going to built in batteries you can't even pull the battery to kill the connection.

The biggest issue with Cells happens on Interstates where you could be hitting a tower 15 miles away in another jurisdiction. Always give a location first, even if only a mile marker.

Well, that will be my answer then when they ask why I called my lawyer before 911 if I ever happen to shoot someone.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    We get incomplete cell phone 911 calls ALL THE TIME. They give us a "best guess" address which is never a legit address. It is a very rare case when we actually find the person calling 911 and hanging up on a cellphone. TV shows are BS, if you think we can track your phone if you call 911 and hang up or not able to tell us your address, you are dangerously wrong. Of course the technology exists, just not cost effective to equip Communications with it. We have to bring it in from out of town if there is a cell phone we want to track.

There you go with trying to keep the masses misinformed :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In all my adult life (only 11 years) I have never had a landline. I have called 911 and received prompt service without issue.

Interesting...I've had a land line my while adult life and have never had to make a 911 call on it. Cell phones must invite danger. :laugh:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have called 911 one time, it was with a bag phone, after I watched a guy on a bicycle pull out in front of a car. He must have flown 25-30 feet, got up and walked it off for the most part before EMS showed up.

Top Bottom