• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I have been shooting firearms for many years and my winter time I don't get out to shoot. So I have been looking at a compound bow for winter shooting in my barn and for potential hunting needs. The bow I am looking at the hardest is a Bear Mauler RTH. It seems to fit the bill for mostly what I want, I have read alot about them and they seem like a good bow.

Is there any other bows you would recommend or do you have any comments on the bow mentioned. I have shot a compound and re-curve bow before but just never purchased one. So I am not totally new to bows the the quality of some. Much appreciation to those who reply.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Bear is a great brand and has been around for quite awhile. I currently use a Bear charge I bought brand new last year and I love it, the bow I had before was a new Bear element and it was great too. I would just say go to an archery shop and pick up and hold different brands and find which one fits you best. Hoyt, Mathews, Pse are other great bows, I'm selling my bear after this season and getting a hoyt carbon element. Also Martin, Bowtech, and Parker are good brands. Mission is also a new brand but owned by Mathews, I've heard good things about them too

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I tried out several, ended up with a Hoyt Kobalt a couple of years ago. Liked the short bow and matched my draw length. Ended up having to sell it.

I went to buy another his year and ended up with a Hoyt CRX32. Does everything I need and probably helps me as a new bow hunter.

Hoping to pop it's cherry this season ;)

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I bought a bear strike in March and harvested my first bow doe this year. Very quiet and accurate. One thing I can say about Bear...excellent customer service.

I was at Gander on Sunday and theu had a bare PSE Stinger new for 249.00 and a PSE bow madness for 400.00. The stinger feels like a good starter bow. Throw on a 40 buck truglo sight and a whisker biscuit and your ready to go for around 300 bucks.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    I shoot a Matthews dren but I think I will get my boy a Mission Craze it is very adjustable so he can change the draw length and weight. Bare bow was 299 set up with everything you need to hunt 480

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I don't know about the particular bow you mentioned. But like has been said, Bear has been around a long time. My son shoots a Bear Apprentice - it's a nice little bow. Last year about this time the Bear Attack was on sale online somewhere for a steal. I almost got one because of the price. Think Midwayusa had them on sale recently, but not as good as last year's deal.

Personally, I started shooting a Darton when I was a teenager (lotta years ago). Tried a Martin Warthog for a while, and switched back. I was looking at new bows earlier this year after switching to Hoyt. And really wanted to go back to Darton. But I wanted to trade the Hoyt I had, and the local shop made me a decent deal to get a still brand new 2009 model Hoyt Alphamax 32 Bone Collector. So I stuck with Hoyt. One day, I will go back to Darton I'm sure. And I've been eyeing their Serpent crossbow.

Bottom line is, I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever you pick. Get it setup and tuned right. Don't go cheap on the accessories and arrows. And practice a LOT.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    There is alot of archery shops that deal on EBAY and they are selling alot of 2011 bows pretty cheap to make room for 2012 models, fellow ingo member Shadownick just bought a brand new PSE bow madness xs for $250 bare with shipping it'll be $275. Thats a really good price.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Just make sure your draw length is correct. There is a lot to consider. What kind of cam? The single cam is probably the smoothest but the Dual cam is the most popular. I have the cam & 1/2. I like my Hoyt bows. But there is so many things, releases, sights, rest, etc... Go to a good archery shop and shoot some different bows. See what works well for you and let the bow pick you.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I would definitely not have Gander Mt set it up. I had them set mine up last season and after I got it back it shot horrible so I took it to the outdoorsman and now its extremely accurate

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Dang I didn't even know they existed, right on my doorstep. Thanks I'll check them out. I think personal service would be better than Cabelas etc.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I've been bow hunting for 20 years and I've been hitting 3D shoots every summer for almost as long. I have shot just about everything out there and I have brought many of my friends and my daughters to bowhunting and archery in general. I'm 6 3" and have a very long draw length (31 1/2") so I like bows with a longer axle-to-axle length. However, if you have a shorter draw length there are a few manufacturers I would recommend, three in particular...Mathews, Bow Tech and Hoyt. I own both a Bow Tech and a Hoyt and I've been shooting hoyts for years. Bow Tech and Mathews bows are quiet, fast and forgiving. Hoyts are smooth but heavier (which isn't always a bad thing). What I like best about Hoyts is that they seem to be bullet proof. I've never had one go out of tune, they have always held up on brutal conditions and I have yet to have a bad limp or malfunction. Bear bows are nice but a little on the lower end and my experience is that you get what you pay for. Its easier to step up to a bow that you can grow into than to spend several hundred bucks only to do it again to upgrade.

Hope this is helpful.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I've stopped in there a time or two, friendly folks, but haven't used them for anything.

I might have them put me on a ripcord red when i'm down that way even though the outdoorsman is closer.

The outdoorsman has done good work for me but if I don't get the guy with the flat top and glasses I kinda get hurried along. I'm still learning after 3 years of bow hunting and they tend to seem annoyed with my questions.

I heard the owner of Parkers son is the best in the state at indoor shooting in his age group. Leads me to believe if that is the case they can tweak up a bow pretty good.:yesway:

Top Bottom